1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about TSL super swamper tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tacolover, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Apr 18, 2007 at 7:19 PM
    tacolover

tacolover [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey ya'll I was wondering what size TSL super swamper thornbirds might fit my ride with no lift? Also if anyone on here runs swampers how do you like them, daily driving, city driving, off roading etc?? I had swampers years ago on my old '71 Jimmy and loved them so I'd like to put some on my Taco :D

Any info would be mucho appreciated! :)

Thanks
    DB

2. Apr 19, 2007 at 6:52 PM
    MarkC

MarkC Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yokota AB, Fussa-Shi, Japan
    Vehicle:
    99 4x4 SR5
    2 inch spacer in the front, and homemade add a leaf in the rear, billet grille, bull bar
    well of course your goin to have the "buzzing" noise, but now adays tire manf. are doin wonders with the life span of swampers and mud tires, you can easly get 30 to somtimes even 40k out of an aggressive tread tire. Interco makes some badass treads (TSL radial and the Irok) also check out Pro comp. and if you want the best, the Nitto mud grappler is the BEST...
    and stock ride hieght a 265 is all you will probally get under there .. check with the 2nd gen guys tho on that one...

3. Apr 19, 2007 at 9:26 PM
    tacolover

tacolover [OP] Member

Member:

Hey thanks MarkC for the words of advice. You're exactly right, the life of those aggressive tires is getting better and better all the time. I've got a good friend at discount tire so he said he'd have the definite answer for me by this weekend but he did mention the 265 like you did so thanks again for taking the time to respond :D

4. Apr 20, 2008 at 5:20 AM
    ellsworth

ellsworth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    08' off rd 6 speed
    6 inch Fabtech, st stabilizers, 18x9 DC -1s 305/65/18 bfg at's
    check out interco trxus-mt . had a set on last whip.

5. Apr 20, 2008 at 5:40 AM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    you can probably run the 30/11.5/16 or the 31/11/16 (assuming you have 16" rims)

6. Apr 20, 2008 at 9:23 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    just my 2 cents...ive NEVER met anyone who liked thornbirds...

i saw the trxus m/t mentioned...ive had a set of those...offroad a FANTASTIC tire...on road...not so much...they are heavy...and they dont like to stay balanced....i had them for about a year....put around 25K on them...and got rid of them with maybe a couple 1000 miles left on them...they were so hard to stay balanced that the first couple months i had them i was at the shop every month getting them rebalanced...in the end i gave up and just dealt with the awful ride...they cupped really bad from the balancing issue and every other lug wore down

offroad though...i put them in mud...rocks...water...anything and everything i could...and they hooked up really easily and the only time i would ever get stuck was when i was in ruts deep enough to grab my undercarriage...

look into BFG/Pro Comp/Nitto/Goodyear if youre going to be on the pavement a good bit as well...all of these brands have a mud terrain or max traction tire with decent road manners

ive heard a lot of people are getting good mileage out of the cooper discoverers too

7. May 26, 2008 at 9:55 AM
    RedruM29

RedruM29 Blinking Car Mod...

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Nor☆Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 trd sport 4x4
    Just enough, and never enough
    do they even make thornbirds that small?

8. May 26, 2008 at 10:38 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    um...sort of...they dont make a 265 anything thornbird...however they do have 29, 30, and 31 for a 15" rim and a 30 and 31 for a 16 inch rim

9. May 26, 2008 at 2:17 PM
    RedruM29

RedruM29 Blinking Car Mod...

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Nor☆Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 trd sport 4x4
    Just enough, and never enough
    gotcha:cool:, i had 38" thornbirds for about three months and i sold them because they had the most uneven wear i'd ever seen on soft offroad tires, i switched over to the irok radials which were a much better choice. O i also forgot to add that whenever i drove it sounded like i was driving on velcro

10. May 14, 2009 at 5:39 PM
    Showtime250

Showtime250 Bryon

Member:
    St. Albans WV
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 2.7 4x4
    Toytec 3 inch suspension lift, Mickey T wheels, BFG MT's, weston bull bar and step bars, and aftermarket stereo
    I had a couple buddies with these tires on full size trucks. they do not perform well in the mud and on the blacktop. All of them got less than 10k out of them because they are such a soft tread. They are also dangerous in the rain as you slide all over the road. So buying them in my opinion is throwin money away. If you want a swamper go with the tsl radial.

Products Discussed in

To Top