Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Question about TSL super swamper tires

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
tacolover is on a distinguished road
tacolover's Tacoma Gallery
Question about TSL super swamper tires

Hey ya'll I was wondering what size TSL super swamper thornbirds might fit my ride with no lift? Also if anyone on here runs swampers how do you like them, daily driving, city driving, off roading etc?? I had swampers years ago on my old '71 Jimmy and loved them so I'd like to put some on my Taco

Any info would be mucho appreciated!

Thanks
DB
Old 04-19-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division
MarkC is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AGE (aerospace ground equipment) mechanic
Name: Mark
MarkC's Tacoma Gallery
well of course your goin to have the "buzzing" noise, but now adays tire manf. are doin wonders with the life span of swampers and mud tires, you can easly get 30 to somtimes even 40k out of an aggressive tread tire. Interco makes some badass treads (TSL radial and the Irok) also check out Pro comp. and if you want the best, the Nitto mud grappler is the BEST...
and stock ride hieght a 265 is all you will probally get under there .. check with the 2nd gen guys tho on that one...
Old 04-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
tacolover is on a distinguished road
tacolover's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
well of course your goin to have the "buzzing" noise, but now adays tire manf. are doin wonders with the life span of swampers and mud tires, you can easly get 30 to somtimes even 40k out of an aggressive tread tire. Interco makes some badass treads (TSL radial and the Irok) also check out Pro comp. and if you want the best, the Nitto mud grappler is the BEST...
and stock ride hieght a 265 is all you will probally get under there .. check with the 2nd gen guys tho on that one...

Hey thanks MarkC for the words of advice. You're exactly right, the life of those aggressive tires is getting better and better all the time. I've got a good friend at discount tire so he said he'd have the definite answer for me by this weekend but he did mention the 265 like you did so thanks again for taking the time to respond
Old 04-20-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
ellsworth is on a distinguished road
ellsworth's Tacoma Gallery
tires

check out interco trxus-mt . had a set on last whip.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:40 AM   #5
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
you can probably run the 30/11.5/16 or the 31/11/16 (assuming you have 16" rims)
Old 04-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #6
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
just my 2 cents...ive NEVER met anyone who liked thornbirds...

i saw the trxus m/t mentioned...ive had a set of those...offroad a FANTASTIC tire...on road...not so much...they are heavy...and they dont like to stay balanced....i had them for about a year....put around 25K on them...and got rid of them with maybe a couple 1000 miles left on them...they were so hard to stay balanced that the first couple months i had them i was at the shop every month getting them rebalanced...in the end i gave up and just dealt with the awful ride...they cupped really bad from the balancing issue and every other lug wore down

offroad though...i put them in mud...rocks...water...anything and everything i could...and they hooked up really easily and the only time i would ever get stuck was when i was in ruts deep enough to grab my undercarriage...

look into BFG/Pro Comp/Nitto/Goodyear if youre going to be on the pavement a good bit as well...all of these brands have a mud terrain or max traction tire with decent road manners

ive heard a lot of people are getting good mileage out of the cooper discoverers too
Old 05-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
Blinking Car Mod...
RedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
RedruM29's Tacoma Gallery
do they even make thornbirds that small?
Old 05-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
um...sort of...they dont make a 265 anything thornbird...however they do have 29, 30, and 31 for a 15" rim and a 30 and 31 for a 16 inch rim
Old 05-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #9
Blinking Car Mod...
RedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
RedruM29's Tacoma Gallery
gotcha, i had 38" thornbirds for about three months and i sold them because they had the most uneven wear i'd ever seen on soft offroad tires, i switched over to the irok radials which were a much better choice. O i also forgot to add that whenever i drove it sounded like i was driving on velcro
Old 05-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
Bryon
Showtime250 is on a distinguished road

Showtime250's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Showtime250
I had a couple buddies with these tires on full size trucks. they do not perform well in the mud and on the blacktop. All of them got less than 10k out of them because they are such a soft tread. They are also dangerous in the rain as you slide all over the road. So buying them in my opinion is throwin money away. If you want a swamper go with the tsl radial.