1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Help Also Quility Question

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by masshole taco, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Dec 29, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    masshole taco

masshole taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Daddy
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport
    Fox 2.5 C/O's Fox 2.0 rear shocks Total Chaos UCA Trifecta Tonneau Cover K&N FIPK Sirius Satellite Radio Toyota OEM roof rack Wet Okole Seat Covers Homer Taco Custom Grill w/ M1 Mesh and Toyota Emblem
    Bought a 2011 Tacoma Sport about 2 months ago.. Since then I've put on the Ready LIft leveling lift (3inche I believe).. This is my questions, the truck came with 265x65xR17 which look pretty small.. Anyway this is my plan... I want to get BFG AT's as I used to run them on my hold truck and absolutely loved them.. especially since I do a lotta highway riding to work and back.. Anyway, this is my question... I wanna get the most bang for my buck so I was thinking of going 285x65xR17's.. Hoping I won't rub, but I would like opinions... Also I love these rims

http://www.dickcepek.com/wheels.php?item=DC2Black
    stupid link won't let me save the damn picture to post it...

Alright, so I'm running what size rim and tire combo would give me the most bang for the buck.... I guess I can do some minor trimming but don't want to ruin the asthetics of the truck too much as it's nice..

Also, as you can see from the link it's machined with a gloss black paint over part of it.. I see a lot of people prefer all black rims.. I'm thinking since i drive the metalic grey the machined look may come out a bit more.. thoughts??? Also next question... I have a lot of them so I'm hoping to get some good feedback..:D I see a lot of people run KMC's wheels.. are KMC's a better quality wheel over the other manufactures out there?? Just kinda wondering.. It's seems the KMC rockstar edtions are pretty popular on here so again didn't know if was a better made wheel then say a Dick Cepek wheel...

Last part... This is for the mods.. You guys should list the different type of lifts, coil overs, 5100's and AAL's and list the size rim and tire that would fit with each lift.. I know all wheels are different but I thought it would be a good idea if someone wants to expand off that feel free..

2. Dec 29, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    Archangel

Archangel Insurance Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 IS250
    1st off, welcome to the forums.. Lots of great and informative people here to answer your questions. I'm a wheel/tire guy so feel free to PM me with your questions. As far as the wheels you mentioned, there isn't a difference in quality between the Dick Cepek or the KMC wheels. Wheels are all about personal preference. If you prefer the desin of the wheels that you chose, then go for it. I wouldn't go with 285/65/17, I'd go 285/70/17's. They're more common, however you're more than likely going to have to trim on your cab mounts. I'm by no means an expert nor claim to be when it comes to lifts. I'm currently debating and asking help about lifts myself. I am a hardcore BFG guy also. You just can't beat the baja champion tire for as long as I can remember. Feel free to PM me with any other questions you may have, and post pics once you mod your beast. We're all kinda fans of pics around here.

3. Dec 29, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    those wheels should work as long as they are the 4.5" backspace -12mm offset. I'm assuming they are 17x9's??? Dick cepeck wheels are of good quality. Alot of guys on here run them. I personally have had the kmc wheels and can say they are well built and can stand up to the elements. I think those wheels with the tires you are wanting will look sweet on a mgm taco!

4. Dec 30, 2010 at 5:34 AM
    masshole taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Daddy
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport
    Fox 2.5 C/O's Fox 2.0 rear shocks Total Chaos UCA Trifecta Tonneau Cover K&N FIPK Sirius Satellite Radio Toyota OEM roof rack Wet Okole Seat Covers Homer Taco Custom Grill w/ M1 Mesh and Toyota Emblem
    Last question...How do after market wheels stand up to snow, rain, salt, sand, etc... I live up in Massachusetts and this time of the year is notorious for a ton of salt sand and any other chemical they can keep the roads clean with...

5. Dec 30, 2010 at 5:44 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    The wheels ur looking at have a clear coat over them. So they should hold up as good as a oem Toyota wheel.

6. Dec 30, 2010 at 5:45 AM
    Archangel

Archangel Insurance Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 IS250
    You might want to consider your stockers as your winter setup. Just a thought to protect your wheels.

7. Jan 26, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    masshole taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Daddy
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport
    Alright, so filing the taxes this weekend and I'm going with the Dick Cepek DC2 and some 285's..

Just to verify I plan on going with BFG AT"S (white letters out :) 285/70/17's (can i run bigger ya think)

Question is wheel size.. I'm used to running stock rims on all my other lifted trucks and to be honest I don't know much about whells... What size rims would I want to run??? 16x8?? Any and all feed back to that tire rim look and size would be MUCH APPRECIATED.. I've attached a pic of the rim I want.. Think that will look good on smoke grey with white letters out on the tires and tinted windows....

http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/dick-cepek/swap/dc_dc2_mba_ci3_l.jpg

8. Jan 26, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    16x8 will be fine. Just make sure the rims have 4.5" backspacing.

9. Jan 26, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    If you're going to get 17" wheels then you need 17" rims.
    1179412 17x9 4.5" BS -12 OS

10. Jan 26, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    Touche

11. Jan 27, 2011 at 7:08 AM
    masshole taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Daddy
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport
    thanks for the help guys.. stay tuned for pics.. between the rims, the tires, the tinted windows I think it will look pretty good when its finished..

I wanna do so much to that truck... need another source of money.. hmm.

Last question.. Dick Cepek's don't have 16x8 with 4.5 backspacing only 4???? will that work or should I go with the 17x9 with the 4.5 backspacking??? any problems with that set up??? again the original set up is up top... sorry for all the questions guys but I figure this may help someone in the future when pickign out tires..

12. Jan 27, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    masshole taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Daddy
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport
    Errrgh, this is ticking me off.. Called Dick Cepek Customer Servie and they said 16x8 won't work due to the brake caliper.. he said 17x9 would create less problems, but couldn't guaranttee they won't hit brake caliper.. ERRGH!

13. Jan 27, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    Most wheel manufacturers will say that. Do a search on here to see if anyone is running the 16's. I think I've seen some.

14. Jan 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    Fabulous

Fabulous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    My friend has the 16" DC2's on his 07 TRD Sport, and they work fine. Not sure what offset his are though...-12?! He also runs his wheels in the Canadian winter, and they seem to be fine...still look new to me.

15. Jan 27, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    masshole taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Daddy
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport
    Town Fair Tire down the road from me has a set of these in their warehouse and they said we cold do a test mount too see if I would run into any clearance issues.. stay tuned..I'll report back..

Products Discussed in

To Top