Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

My Konig Countersteer Offroad Type X fitment problems

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
vermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

vermintrex's Tacoma Gallery
My Konig Countersteer Offroad Type X fitment problems

So...my Toyota dealership tried to fit my brand new 17" Konig Countersteer Offroad Type X's today, and ended up refusing to do so because they rubbed the front fender where the mud flaps bolt on. They showed me a video of them going from lock to lock and the inboard tread did in fact push the rear of the fender out quite a bit, till it let go and snapped back into place as the tires pushed past. They barely cleared the front of the fender, but sneaked past.

Sooo...my question is, do you guys think a 1.6" front lift (Eibach springs on 5100's) will give me enough clearance to fit the Countersteer's wrapped in 265/70/17's ? Would it be enough for the suspension to cycle through it's travel without making contact ? I don't think even removing the mudflaps (which I don't want to do) would have given enough clearance with the stock suspension.

The Konig's are 8 inch wide with a -10 Offset. I don't know what that works out to for backspacing but they sit farther out of the fenders than stock.

As a side note for anyone considering these rims, your stock lug nuts won't work, you'll need longer ones. Also, they had to use a thin walled socket to be able to fit between the nuts and the bolt holes, so you'd need to carry a socket with you in the truck in case of a flat.

Any help from the wheel and tire gurus would be appreciated. What a frustrating day...thought I was gonna be able to post pic's for you guys.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
Can't wait to see some pics.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermintrex View Post

The Konig's are 8 inch wide with a -10 Offset. I don't know what that works out to for backspacing but they sit farther out of the fenders than stock.

As a side note for anyone considering these rims, your stock lug nuts won't work, you'll need longer ones. Also, they had to use a thin walled socket to be able to fit between the nuts and the bolt holes, so you'd need to carry a socket with you in the truck in case of a flat.
That works out to approx 4" backspacing. They shouldn't rub too bad with the 265/70's. If anything it's because they sit out a little further than is ideal.

Most tuner wheel companies (Konig, Rays, Volk, etc.) use spline-drive lug nuts. They are skinnier than normal lugs.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
vermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Nothing a little trimming can't fix.

Remove the front flaps and trim where needed. Basic part of fitting bigger tires or wheels with a smaller backspacing
What about a 1.6" lift up front, think that would give me enough clearance to keep the flaps on ?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
That works out to approx 4" backspacing. They shouldn't rub too bad with the 265/70's. If anything it's because they sit out a little further than is ideal.

Most tuner wheel companies (Konig, Rays, Volk, etc.) use spline-drive lug nuts. They are skinnier than normal lugs.
It was rubbing bad enough to flex the fender, I wouldn't want that to be a regular thing. I know tons of guys run BFG A/T's with aftermarket rims and still have their flaps, but maybe most of them are lifted too.

I'll dig up some more info on spline drive lug nuts.

Thanks for the help
Old 12-31-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
you need more backspace.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:27 AM   #7

Maybe these are gonna be more hassle than it's worth. I waited 2 months for these fuckin things to be shipped, thought it was gonna be a straightforward bolt up

Anyone know what trucks these will bolt up to nicely. If I'm gonna have to sell them I guess I need to know my target market.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:40 AM   #8

I think what I'm gonna do is remove the front flaps and then take it in to a proper tire shop and get them to set up one wheel and see if it it still rubs. If it doesn't then I'll have them install everything including the TPMS swap.

Then I'll get the 5100's with Eibach springs. Once I've got the front lifted I can always try the front flaps again, if it still rubs...oh well, no front flaps.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll update the thread once I've got something to show.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
tacoyaki is on a distinguished road
tacoyaki's Tacoma Gallery
PM me if you wanna sell...thanks. Im local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermintrex View Post
I think what I'm gonna do is remove the front flaps and then take it in to a proper tire shop and get them to set up one wheel and see if it it still rubs. If it doesn't then I'll have them install everything including the TPMS swap.

Then I'll get the 5100's with Eibach springs. Once I've got the front lifted I can always try the front flaps again, if it still rubs...oh well, no front flaps.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll update the thread once I've got something to show.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
westbank is on a distinguished road

Name: Gord
westbank's Tacoma Gallery
Good info nonetheless on the Type X. What shipping supplier did the wheels arrive with and did you have any brokerage/duty charges?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbank View Post
Good info nonetheless on the Type X. What shipping supplier did the wheels arrive with and did you have any brokerage/duty charges?
They were sent USPS from the seller (JLB Motorsports) and came the rest of the way by Canada Post. I had to pay $33 Cdn duty on the first two to arrive, the third and fourth arrived seperately a couple days later, but wasn't charged any further duty.

I've since removed the front flaps and I'm taking them into Kal Tire on the weekend for a test fit, if they don't rub I'll get them installed.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #12
niptek is on a distinguished road
niptek's Tacoma Gallery
the countersteer offroad X should fit after you do the lift. Trimming will be necessary for no rubbing issues. good luck. i own a set at the moment with 285/75/16 with nitto terra grapplers. Spacers in the front push them out, so i can get some more stability with lift.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #13
westbank is on a distinguished road

Name: Gord
westbank's Tacoma Gallery
Good to know on the shipping. I've been talking to JLB about the different shipping methods. Just deciding between the 16s & 17s.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by niptek View Post
the countersteer offroad X should fit after you do the lift. Trimming will be necessary for no rubbing issues. good luck. i own a set at the moment with 285/75/16 with nitto terra grapplers. Spacers in the front push them out, so i can get some more stability with lift.
I'm only gonna be running 265/70/17's and they only contacted the mudflaps the first time. If they still rub with the flaps removed the only thing I could trim is the fender itself...which obviously ain't gonna happen.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #15
tacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud of

Name: carlitos
tacomadude18's Tacoma Gallery
Rim Information
Rim Brand: XD Series
Number of Bolts: 6
Rim Material: Alloy
Rim Width: 9
Bolt Pattern: 6x139.7
Rim Structure: One Piece
Rim Diameter: 17
Offset: -12
so, do i need to cut if i get these?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomadude18 View Post
Rim Information
Rim Brand: XD Series
Number of Bolts: 6
Rim Material: Alloy
Rim Width: 9
Bolt Pattern: 6x139.7
Rim Structure: One Piece
Rim Diameter: 17
Offset: -12
so, do i need to cut if i get these?
can you start your own thread please, thanks.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #17
tacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud of

Name: carlitos
tacomadude18's Tacoma Gallery
i already have, im just trying to get info. you dont have to awser it. (douche)
Old 01-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #18
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
how is he being a douche? it's called thread jacking, and do some reading before you start asking simple questions.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #19

Quote:
I don't want this thread derailed.

I have not resolved my own fitment problems yet and if this thread becomes the general "will this fit" thread it becomes useless to me and all those who have tried to help me out.

Learn a bit about forum etiquette before you start throwing around insults.

Good luck with your rims.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbank View Post
Good to know on the shipping. I've been talking to JLB about the different shipping methods. Just deciding between the 16s & 17s.
Be aware that JLB will not accept foreign credit cards, you will either need to pay with a US credit card, bank draft or Western Union money transfer.

Not much (actually none) security for the buyer, but I took a chance and everything worked out.