Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Opinion Needed: Terra Grappler, Discoverer STT, or Duratrac?

View Poll Results: TWhich tire?
Nitto Terra Grappler 152 32.20%
Cooper Discoverer STT 86 18.22%
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 234 49.58%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2011, 11:05 PM   #21
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
UPDATE:

I went into America Tire Co today to get my tires balanced and rotated and they measured the tire tread. The fronts measure 8/32 and the rears were 6/32 (he said the NTG start at 13/32).

He said that basically translates to ~30-40k more miles! I don't know if I believe him or not, but it any case, I won't be changing the tires at this time.

I also told him I wanted to explore other tires, and he said, "If these work for you, then stick with them." Same thing that most of you guys have said.

Thanks again for your time guys.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:52 AM   #22
Jpf8653 is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Jpf8653's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I bet you can. But your talking about Your tire basically being a worn down street tire at that point. So it's all up to you If you wanna let it go that for.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #23
© "HELL FUCK YEAH!" © COPYRIGHT FOR MY PROTECTION!
NoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoMallCrawlTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
NoMallCrawlTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
I've ran the Nittos and they were great tires on and off road...they just didn't last for shit. I got MAYBE 27k outta em...Now I got em when they 1st came out so maybe I gotta bad set but I doubt it. I hear of guys getting about 40k out of their TGs so

Any how I love the look of the STTs and the DTs....I voted for the Goodyears
Agree on the Nittos. Had them and they wore out fast. Too fast!

I had the toyo ATs marginal wear.

I now have durtracs. In my opinion, ride is great, minimal road noise, but I like to hear my tires, and they float on sand.

Lots of surface contact so you feel like there in more control on the road.

But I just got them so I can't give you anything as for the wear factor...
Old 01-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #24
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
I love my Duratracs... But, I live up north at the base of Mt. Hood and I see a ton of snow. The Nittos are a great tire and thats what I voted for, as I feel they will do better for you in the fair NorCal weather.

Good luck!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #25
Its_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Its_Taco_Time's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe consider Hankook dynapro ATM. They look a lot nicer than the nitto and are supposed to wear really well and have low road noise.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #26
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Taco_Time View Post
Maybe consider Hankook dynapro ATM. They look a lot nicer than the nitto and are supposed to wear really well and have low road noise.
Dude! The tech at America Tire said the exact same thing! He has them on his truck and he said they're quiet as hell, especially for a MT. I hadn't heard anything about them before, but he showed me apicture of them and they look pretty bada**

What's the durability on them?
Old 01-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #27
Its_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Its_Taco_Time's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonags32 View Post
Dude! The tech at America Tire said the exact same thing! He has them on his truck and he said they're quiet as hell, especially for a MT. I hadn't heard anything about them before, but he showed me apicture of them and they look pretty bada**

What's the durability on them?
The MT and the ATM are different tires. Both are supposed to have great treadlife for their respective categories. Obviously you won't see as much life out the MT.

I know when my mickey thompsons wear out I am going with the hankook MT
Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #28
AZ Tacoma Member
RED5 is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Marshall
RED5's Tacoma Gallery
If you stay onroad more than offroad, then I'd say stick with the Nitto's. Toyo's A/Ts are another awesome tire.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #30
WaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the rough

Air Force:
Name: Michael
WaGood24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonags32 View Post
600 shipped? You got a link?
Sorry if this is too late but if you just search for tires on eBay for the size you want and terra grapplers they're on there regularly.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #31
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
BenJammn5's Tacoma Gallery
Had NITTO TG's, now running Hankook ATM RF10's. Same performance off road with a little less tire noise. The 285 TG was a tad wider than the Hankook 285.

20,000 miles on my hankooks and they perform great. Even wear, and good for basic off roading. Snow, sand, desert, trails, sucks in the mud (duh..), but over all good.

my truck with TG

With Hankooks

Old 01-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #32
asphinctersayswhat?

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll be making my decision in a few months when I wear these out more. The truck just got back from a 1200 mile trip to Vegas and back and they still look pretty good.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #33
mxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
mxnborder's Tacoma Gallery
BFG all terrains! they last forever and are super grippy!
Old 01-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #34
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Hi MJ, that is my photo of the Cooper STT (which was perfectly ok with me to use, by-the-way).

About the Cooper Discoverer STT:

The tire looked GREAT. It was the only tire people came over to my truck and commented on.

The tire was great in mud and over rocks. It lasted 40-45,000 miles which was the most of any tire I had on my Tacomas, so far. Maybe it would last much longer in other conditions, because I never get the kind of miles out of tires others do.

That was the good... now the bad:

The tire is NOISY... plan to crank up the radio when you drive.

The tire hates sand, and will dig you down to China... It only begins to float at 10 psi.

... and the ugly:

I would never own one again.

I have since had the Cooper Discoverer ATR and that was a good tire... Just didn't have the off road looks of the STT. Toyo Open Country tires are great, too.

Now I am hearing good things about Hankook DynoPro ATm here on TW. That may be my choice when the Rugged Fails give up (soon).

If I could afford it and they were available, I would get the new red letter General Grabbers in a 265/75-16...
Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #35
black cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shedblack cx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

black cx's Tacoma Gallery
very good thread..i just ordered 285/65/18 Terra Grappler today!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #36
asphinctersayswhat?

I was wondering how this thread kept on getting bumped. Then remembered the poll
Old 03-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #38
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Falken Wild Peaks

Old 03-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #39
UTTaco93 is on a distinguished road

Name: Roy
UTTaco93's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY50cal View Post
Falken Wild Peaks

Falkens are nice...granted had them on for a day but I'll keep posting as the weeks go how they perform...

Old 03-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #40
TheRiddleOfSteel is on a distinguished road
TheRiddleOfSteel's Tacoma Gallery
just replaced nitto's 265/65/17 with 285/60/18's, im very happy but dont have much to compare it to