Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Opinion Needed: Terra Grappler, Discoverer STT, or Duratrac?

View Poll Results: TWhich tire?
Nitto Terra Grappler 152 32.20%
Cooper Discoverer STT 86 18.22%
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 234 49.58%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #41
Hollywood is on a distinguished road
Marines: Former Marine
Hollywood's Tacoma Gallery
I have run BFG All terrain's almost exclusively simply because an old neighbor supplied them at a discounted rate, good grip but they were loud and didn't last more than 35k. I've heard great things regarding the Hankook DyanPro ATM's. I would be looking for the Hankook's or the Dura's.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #42
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Just thought I'd update this thread.

I was set on getting NTG again bc of how many miles I got off of them, but I got a GREAT deal on some BFG TA KOs, $675 OTD for the set (285/75/16) and finally swapped out the NTG. There was 5/32s on all 4 Nittos and had them for a total of 75k. I'd recommend them to anyone.

After a few thousand miles, I'll have a really good comparison of the NTG vs. the BFG TA KOs
Old 09-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #43
hillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
hillbillytoyo's Tacoma Gallery
I have had the Bridgestone Dueler a/t's for about 47k they have been pretty good but they are worn out and I will have to purchase new tires before winter. I am thinking about the NTG's but don't know anyone personally who has them. I like the look but I am more interested in the function of the tires. I cross 2 mountains everyday even in the winter and they can get pretty hairy. The Duelers have done a good job keeping me on the road. I also like to off road a little. How are the NTG's in the snow and mud?
Old 09-25-2011, 02:33 AM   #44
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
hey OP not trying to jack you’r thread. but i have 30’700 or so miles on my stock rugged fails. and i think they are around 20% tread left but idk anything about % of tread life so. i am kinda wanted to get read of them before winter since i keep reading they suck in snow. how are the terra graps in snow? so you have been in snow some. and how about light off roading? we don’t get snow much and it don’t last but a day usually but i live on a hill and drive way is kinda steep.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #45
Sport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Sport11's Tacoma Gallery
Terra Grapplers
Old 11-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #46
LOWLO7 has a brilliant futureLOWLO7 has a brilliant futureLOWLO7 has a brilliant futureLOWLO7 has a brilliant futureLOWLO7 has a brilliant futureLOWLO7 has a brilliant futureLOWLO7 has a brilliant futureLOWLO7 has a brilliant futureLOWLO7 has a brilliant futureLOWLO7 has a brilliant futureLOWLO7 has a brilliant future

Name: Lauren
LOWLO7's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought new tires, mine are really bald! Got the Nitto Terra Grapplers again, out the door was $1050. OUCH!
Old 11-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #47
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Cooper STT and I love them. Great tires. And I dont get chunking like some people say they got
Old 01-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #49
hillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
hillbillytoyo's Tacoma Gallery
I ended up going with The BFG A/T's. I got a deal I couldn't pass up. $860 installed.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #50
magic is on a distinguished road
magic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY50cal View Post
Falken Wild Peaks

i love the shit out off these! i have the 285/75/16 on my first gen setup and i drive about 50 miles a day 5 days a week and they do great. only think that has stoped me was deep wet snow because mine are roughly 11.5" wide which is pretty wide for wet snow. Mud they do great because they are a very aggressive a/t but i do really good because i have possi-traction in the rear. Does every 1st gen 4x4 have possi-traction in the rear?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #51
magic is on a distinguished road
magic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWLO7 View Post
Just bought new tires, mine are really bald! Got the Nitto Terra Grapplers again, out the door was $1050. OUCH!
You dont even what to know what i payed for my FAlken Wild Peak. 745.oo installed and they are more aggresive then those terra grapplers but still an a/t
Old 01-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #52
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
im on my second set of revo 2s my first set on my 06 lasted almost 65k and the current have 30k on them and look new. not a bad price either anymore
Old 01-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #53
StatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud of

Name: Joey
StatutoryAPE's Tacoma Gallery
I got My falkens a year ago. I drive about 75 miles a day, 5 days a week. They are still very quiet. they have worked very well in the desert, some mud and when going camping. I have to keep them rotated every oil change tho or else they start to wear funny, but thats gunna happen to almost any AT or MT tire.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #54
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
OP I have the terra grapplers also Same size as well. they are great for on road and slight Offroad use and use on dirt roads. But From personal experience I wouldn't trust them on a full day Offroad trip where you beat on them. I Offroad light every day to work about 1 mile each way to and from work on just some dirt roads and they are wonderful. The first time I went on an Offroad trip through the Mojave I got a flat tire from a small bush entering my sidewall. My suggestion is if you are offloading enough where you have to air down your tires I'd go for a beefier tire. Hence the reason I am switching because I Offroad more frequently.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #55
jestanislaw is on a distinguished road
EMS: Paramedic
Name: James
jestanislaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
It's that time to get another pair of tires and I need some opinions!

I currently have Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/75/16 and surprisingly, they've lasted me 61k miles. I'm pretty sure I can go a few thousand more.

Current tread:

Now I want something a little more beefier looking, but I want to make sure I don't lose some of the things I really like about the Nittos: tread life, performance, lack of noise while driving, lack of mpg loss, and cost. If the Cooper Discoverer STTs or Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs can compare in those areas, then I really want to consider switching, if not, then I might just stick with the Nittos.

(I searched and stole a bunch of pics from you guys, hope you don't mind. Take it as a compliment)

Nitto Terra Grappler:

Cooper Discoverer STT:

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac:

I am a former Discount Tire sales Mgr. and if you can get the Cooper STT Tek3's I would go that route. DuraTracs look great but do not perform well in wet road scenarios. Nitto also makes a new DuraGrappler you could check out. Unfortunately Michelin doesnt make anything that aggressive b/c they own BFG, but if they did they would probably be the best. Once again, check out the Cooper STT Tek's.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #56
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
i had duratracs loved mine unstoppable in snow and wintery conditions.
the only negative thing is they wander a bit on the highway at least to me it felt that way.

i don't know anything about the stt except they are molded extremely similar to the mickey thompson mtz which is one of the best tires you buy. plus the coopers look seriously bad ass i really want to try a set in 295's.

i don't know about the terra grappler but my trial graps are pretty great tires i have absolutely no complaints yet. i have not had them in deep snow yet though so no experience with that. they will probably be a horrible tire on sand though i just can't see them being very good there at all.

my .02
Old 01-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #57
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
i had duratracs loved mine unstoppable in snow and wintery conditions.
the only negative thing is they wander a bit on the highway at least to me it felt that way.

i don't know anything about the stt except they are molded extremely similar to the mickey thompson mtz which is one of the best tires you buy. plus the coopers look seriously bad ass i really want to try a set in 295's.

i don't know about the terra grappler but my trial graps are pretty great tires i have absolutely no complaints yet. i have not had them in deep snow yet though so no experience with that. they will probably be a horrible tire on sand though i just can't see them being very good there at all.

my .02
Yes they are horrible in sand lol. I have beadlocks and and was aired down to 15psi and they were all over the place in the sand!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #58
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post

i don't know anything about the stt except they are molded extremely similar to the mickey thompson mtz which is one of the best tires you buy.

They clean mud phenomenally. They're factory siped so they have better than average traction in wet and cold conditions. And as was said...They look amazing.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #59
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
They clean mud phenomenally. They're factory siped so they have better than average traction in wet and cold conditions. And as was said...They look amazing.
X2
Old 02-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #60
ItalianStallion13 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: A1C
Name: Salvatore
ItalianStallion13's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of wheels are those?