1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinion Needed: Terra Grappler, Discoverer STT, or Duratrac?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by MJonaGS32, Dec 31, 2010.

?

TWhich tire?

1. Nitto Terra Grappler

153 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Cooper Discoverer STT

87 vote(s)
    18.3%
  3. Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

236 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. Mar 23, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    who are you talking to? lol

2. Mar 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM
    HRDTACO

HRDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Long Beach
    Vehicle:
    '12 Prerunner DCLB
    to come!
    Where did you get these and how the heck can i get this deal

3. Apr 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    Hankook Dynapro ATM. Very good tires

4. Jun 14, 2012 at 8:06 PM
    dommo

dommo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner TRD
    I agree, if you dont NEED a mud tire, then although they look sexy, you are wasting money. But on the other hand, there is probably a reason so many people have tire x, y, or z. In this case, I can only comment on the Duratracs, as I have no first hand experience with the other two. I will say, all the points(except price, they are a little more expensive than the Nitto's in the same size) you brought up, I was complaetely satisfied with the Duratracs. They were my "happy medium", so-to-speak. I couldnt really justify a dedicated mud tire, but I off roaded enough to warrent better than an All-Terrain tire.
    It sounds like you have pretty positive things to say about the Nitto's, so I would say you will be happy with either the Nitto's, or the GY's, but I dont think that you will be very happy, over all, with the Cooper's. Just my .02

5. Jun 14, 2012 at 8:18 PM
    dommo

dommo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner TRD
    About the GY's...really? They performed as well as I could hope for, in both wet pavement and snow(both on the road, and on a trail). No complaints from me about these tires. If there were better "performing" tires that still served their purpose offroad, then I havent tried them. I am currently running MT/R's w/ Kevlar on my Jeep, and the stock, Rugged Fail's on my Tacoma. The MT/R's are too rough for my taste on road, while the BFG's(I know, not their AT's for instance, but a more "street" tire) do poorly off road. I thought the Duratrac's were pretty damn decent at everything, without lacking in any major catagory. They will definitely be my next set of tire for the Tacoma.

6. Aug 4, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    Pingo

Pingo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    2014 S/C TRD Offroad A/C

x2.... my duratracs seem to do everything well, but excel in wet/snowy conditions. I've bought dedicated snow tires before that didn't give me the performance the duratracs do. I'm pretty curious what your experiences would be to make you think otherwise, especially as a tire store manager?

7. Aug 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    depends on where your driving and what your driving on.

duratracs are phenomenal in the snow the best tire i have ever ran in the winter hands down. they do well just about everywhere save for the fact that due to all the siping mine walked a bit on the highway.

the stt is supposed to be a great tire but, that one is an m/t so while it will perform better off road in most situations it may have some draw backs in other areas. i have never run a set of them although i would love to they look awesome imo. they are very popular in australia and those guy would know what a good off road tire is i would suspect.

the terra grappler is supposed to be decent as well i have no experience with them personally. my nitto trail grapplers are great tires so if they are anything like those they are probably very good as well. they are the most mild tire out of the three in terms of tread design so will probably be better suited to the street. i have heard people say the hankook dyna pro is superior to the nitto in almost every aspect just fyi.

8. Aug 5, 2012 at 2:39 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 [OP] MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    I wonder if folks realize that I got my tires 11 months ago LOL!

9. Aug 5, 2012 at 11:17 PM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
    I just voted for the heck of it:D.

10. Aug 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Man, I gotta say I love the looks of my Duratracs and they do indeed work well for everything!!!!!......but the sound and inconsistent vibes have about driven me mad. Mine have 48k on them and look as though they could go another 20 no problemo.
    They look and perform so badass though I'm not sure what else I would go for. I may stick with them and pray for better luck on a 2nd set.

Also, the Cs are light enough that mpgs don't suffer to severely as well

11. Aug 28, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    veet skeet

veet skeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    14 4Runner Trail Edition MGM
    Bilstein 5100s, 17' Method NV Race Wheels, Goodyear Duratrac 265/70/17, Demello Sliders, Xenon/LEDs All Around, Dark Window Tint, Gobi Roof Rack (In the Mail), JL Audio Subs, Alpine Speakers and Amps
    Just got my 33' Duratracs the other day, and I love them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Sep 3, 2012 at 5:45 AM
    Corndawg

Corndawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2007 double cab TRD off road Radiant Red
    2.5 inch pro comp lift Cobra XRS 9745 Detector 15 band scanner Pioneer DEH-P6900UB Python 991 remote start/ security. Tinted license plate covers Fog Light Mod PIAA Extreme White 4000K Replacement bulbs Red LED Dome and Map lights LED replacement tail light bulbs Black Weather Tech Floor Liners front and rear
    Those look good, going with same ones, and 33s as well, im hoping i dont regret them

13. Sep 3, 2012 at 6:24 AM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    DuraTracs. Just drove across country and had what I considered a smooth ride with no more noise that BFG AT.

14. Jan 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    i love my duratracs, feel 100% stable in the snow, in 2wd :)

15. Jan 30, 2013 at 7:07 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Yea I can get around in most snow in 2wd with the Duratracs that i used to always need 4wd with the stock tires. More times than not now I only use 4wd in the snow just so its getting used and not because I really need it.

16. Jul 2, 2013 at 7:47 PM
    CBoy808

CBoy808 The Original Sticker Dude

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Mall Crawler
    I'm debating between the terras and the duratracs myself. Duratracs are only available in E load range for the size i need so it will be a harsh ride. which makes me lean strongly towards the terras

17. Jul 27, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    Xer0 SiN

Xer0 SiN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD SPORT TACOMA / 21 LIMITED RAV4
    this and that...
    the duratracs really are a great tire. i have them on both my trucks (295/65/18 and 265/70/17).

18. Jul 27, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    2006TRDSPORT

2006TRDSPORT 2006TRDSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Felton, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4WD
    I have used Nittos since 2011 & have around 23K on them & I think they have at LEAST 20-25K left on them, they have been great in rain & snow so I might just get another set when these are wore out, I'm flexible though. :)

19. Oct 6, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    Nutzo333

Nutzo333 FreakShow333

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 06 SR5
    6" Fabtech Lift, 315/70 r17 Duratracs, TRD Cold Air Intake MBRP stainless with duel side exit rear exhaust
    I have a set of the Cooper STT (35 x12.5) And they have treated me damn good... with the exception of winter. I have 0 complaints about the tire. They served me well on old mining and logging roads, pipeline trails and the like. Not as highway friendly as I would like. But, I will be switching to a set of studded duratracs for the winter then picking up something more asphalt friendly for the summer. I dont quite need such an aggressive tire myself.

20. Oct 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM
    sull625

sull625 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    12 TRDOR DC Spruce Mica
    I just ordered some discoverer stt tek3 tires from discount tire and look forward to getting them. Ill post a review after I try em out for a bit

Products Discussed in

To Top