Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Opinion Needed: Terra Grappler, Discoverer STT, or Duratrac?

View Poll Results: TWhich tire?
Nitto Terra Grappler 152 32.20%
Cooper Discoverer STT 86 18.22%
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 234 49.58%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Opinion Needed: Terra Grappler, Discoverer STT, or Duratrac?

It's that time to get another pair of tires and I need some opinions!

I currently have Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/75/16 and surprisingly, they've lasted me 61k miles. I'm pretty sure I can go a few thousand more.

Current tread:

Now I want something a little more beefier looking, but I want to make sure I don't lose some of the things I really like about the Nittos: tread life, performance, lack of noise while driving, lack of mpg loss, and cost. If the Cooper Discoverer STTs or Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs can compare in those areas, then I really want to consider switching, if not, then I might just stick with the Nittos.

(I searched and stole a bunch of pics from you guys, hope you don't mind. Take it as a compliment)

Nitto Terra Grappler:

Cooper Discoverer STT:

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac:

Old 12-31-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
I have run a bunch of different off road tires over the years.

The most aggressive I have used was the GoodYear MTR. Wonderful off road tire, but I will never buy them again. They just were not round and the truck was always shaking badly going down the road. I even had them shaved and it made it a lot better, but still shook all the time. I gave them away and got some Cooper MT and later AT tires. The Cooper was a nice tire but I did chunk the MT up pretty bad at a TTORA Take Over event in NM.

On my new truck I just put a set of the Nitto Terra Grappler AT. So far so good. Truck drives very smooth and the tires are very quiet.

A good friend just installed the General Grappler tires and has great things to say about them.

G
Old 12-31-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Jpf8653 is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Jpf8653's Tacoma Gallery
i Have the terras also. I am prob going to be able to get around 60 k out of them also. I have not acctually owned STT but know some people with them and, u will not get 60k miles out of them. while still have them looking like the tires we have now.

I myself have been planning on getting duratracs since i saw them on here a while back just been waiting on these to be done with. i just like the way they look and wanna try them for myself. this all is just my opion.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
brians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brian
brians05taco's Tacoma Gallery
curious as well to see what people think im at over fifty thousand on my terra grapplers in need of some prob next year tooo
Old 12-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Is actual performance off road a concern or is this just for beauty pageants?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I like my Duratracs, little bit of road noise nothing I even notice anymore. Haven't had them off road really aside from in sand.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Is actual performance off road a concern or is this just for beauty pageants?
I don't offroad as much as I used to. But I probably go on 1-2 offroad trips per year. I also take it to the sand dunes ~2 times a year, go to the snow ~6 times a year, and go camping ~6 times a year. Not to mention the rain (which isn't too crazy in the bay area). And I also tow a travel trailer, so I don't want tires that will wander all over the road.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
if you like the way your Nitto's perform, then stick with them. the more "beefy" or aggressive a tire is, the more noisey they will be. beefy tires also have less tread life. stick with the Nitto's if your truck see's more pavement then dirt.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
kraxtra is on a distinguished road

Air Force: POL
Name: Kenwood
kraxtra's Tacoma Gallery
Satisfied with my Duratracs thus far. They stuck to the road great in the snow this morning. Didn't even have to use 4WD much like I did with the BFG ATs. But if you can get 60k on the Nitto's, that is pretty impressive and maybe worthy of sticking with if you happy with them.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
n00b

Good point about sticking with the Nittos. I really do like them, but I wanted to possibly go for a change. I just didn't want to regret it later on.

The few things that I don't like about the Nittos are: obviously the dull sidewall and when I drive over puddles, it seem like the truck gets squirrely for a second.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:06 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonags32 View Post
I don't offroad as much as I used to. But I probably go on 1-2 offroad trips per year. I also take it to the sand dunes ~2 times a year, go to the snow ~6 times a year, and go camping ~6 times a year. Not to mention the rain (which isn't too crazy in the bay area). And I also tow a travel trailer, so I don't want tires that will wander all over the road.

If the Nittos are proven to you, stay with them.

This thread will just turn into a lot of people voting for what they use.

If you offroad little, staying with ATs will benefit you in terms of longer tire wear, less noise, better mileage.

Considering your intended use, MTs don't seem right for you.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:44 PM   #12
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
If the Nittos are proven to you, stay with them.

This thread will just turn into a lot of people voting for what they use.

If you offroad little, staying with ATs will benefit you in terms of longer tire wear, less noise, better mileage.

Considering your intended use, MTs don't seem right for you.
Great point. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #13
Discount Tire Company
Archangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Archangel's Tacoma Gallery
What Mr. Andrews said. If the Nitto's work for you, then stay with them. The old addage comes to mind, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" For me, the Nittos suck and don't hold up. Ultimately, the choice comes down to you. I will tell you that the Duratracs are soft as shit and you probably won't get close to the 60k you got. The Coopers are the same for me, no life. The quality seems to be inconsistant on the Coopers too. As much as I hate to say it, IN YOUR CASE, stay with the Terra Grapplers.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #14
I <3 Taco's
YeahBoyyy is on a distinguished road

YeahBoyyy's Tacoma Gallery
I say duratracs... Here is a thread i posted a couple days ago about beefy tires if you wanna see some.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...est-tires.html

And here is all the tires you could dream of....
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...res-tires.html
Old 01-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #15
WaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the rough

Air Force:
Name: Michael
WaGood24's Tacoma Gallery
I just recently put on Terra Grapplers and was happy to see that I didn't notice one bit difference from the stock tires in terms of road noise or ride. And after we got a little bit of snow I got to test them in snow a little bit and if I turn really aggressively I get to sliding a little bit but they stop very well in compact snow and ice. The biggest problem I had was traction in the slush. But to be a broken record, it seems like if you're happy with the tires you've got, keep with them. I know on eBay you can get a set for $600 shipped. So if you have an affordable place to install them you can get a descent deal on them.

P.S. On consumer report (2009) they were the #1 rated A/T tire.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #16
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaGood24 View Post
I just recently put on Terra Grapplers and was happy to see that I didn't notice one bit difference from the stock tires in terms of road noise or ride. And after we got a little bit of snow I got to test them in snow a little bit and if I turn really aggressively I get to sliding a little bit but they stop very well in compact snow and ice. The biggest problem I had was traction in the slush. But to be a broken record, it seems like if you're happy with the tires you've got, keep with them. I know on eBay you can get a set for $600 shipped. So if you have an affordable place to install them you can get a descent deal on them.

P.S. On consumer report (2009) they were the #1 rated A/T tire.
600 shipped? You got a link?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:19 AM   #17
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I've ran the Nittos and they were great tires on and off road...they just didn't last for shit. I got MAYBE 27k outta em...Now I got em when they 1st came out so maybe I gotta bad set but I doubt it. I hear of guys getting about 40k out of their TGs so

Any how I love the look of the STTs and the DTs....I voted for the Goodyears
Old 01-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #18
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
I have Cooper Discoverers on my truck right now... I don't see myself buying another set. I will most likely spring for some General Grabbers when I make the switch.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #19
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Had the NTGs for about 25k after buying truck used so not sure how long they were on the truck before I got it. I have nothing bad to say about them. I currently have Duratracs that I bought new. They are a bit noisier on road and don't see the treadlife being that stellar. I probably have close to 15k on them and don't really see gettin much more than that again before done. This is mostly 70-75mph frwy action. They are noticeably better traction offroad than the NTGs. I see it as trade off, Duratracs for more offroad travel and lower speed pavement & NTGs for treadlife at higher frwy speeds and quieter but gives up traction offroad to the Duratrac. Based on your specified use, I'd say go with NTGs. I am leaning that way on the next set at the moment but will wait and see how far the Duratracs will last.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #20
phoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dennis
phoneguy44's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to phoneguy44
Thats like askin, which one is better for me.....oxygen, blood or water.
You cant go wrong on either one of these man.

Myself, I went with the Duratracs about a month ago. Had Discover street tires on, loved them but wanted that aggresive look. Good luck.