1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

question on larger tire size?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by armyairforce89, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Jan 13, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    armyairforce89

armyairforce89 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2010 5-lug SR5
    Ready Lift SST Lift Kit, Fog Lights, Aluminum Diamond Plate Tool Box, AFE ProDry S Air Filter, UltraGuage, BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A 235x75x15's
    I am wondering if anyone could explain to me wether it is really worth paying the dealership to reprogram the ECU when switching to a larger tire size? My speedometer is already reading about 3 MPH too fast with my stock 215X70X15's, but my GPS pretty well agrees with the odometer. By going to 225 X75X15's the speedometer should balance out, but what will happen to the odometer? Will it effect waranty longevity? Thanks for any advice?

2. Jan 13, 2011 at 9:53 PM
    jmg256

jmg256 Calmer than you are

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
    Larger tires in effect slow your odometer down, so you'd be registering fewer miles than actually traveled. Could also result in longer warranty coverage due to inaccurate mileage showing

And for the price of the dealer reprogram you could pick up a scan gauge or an ultra gauge. I recommend scan gauge. Both are user programmable and will show you a variety of different parameters of your liking.

3. Jan 13, 2011 at 9:57 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Why is your speedometer reading 3mph over if your running stock tires?

4. Jan 13, 2011 at 10:16 PM
    jmg256

jmg256 Calmer than you are

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
    Most, if not all 2nd gen Tacoma speedometers are off to the fast side a few mph's. If my speedo is reading 65 I am really traveling at 62...this is confirmed by gps and the police traps that display "your speed is" there is a thread on the subject. The consensus was that going up a size (eg; 265/75/16 or 265/70/17) on an other wise stock truck would yield accurate speedo readings and slow your odometer not sure on the respective % changes, but there are calculations you can do to figure it out.

Type "speedo" or "speedo accuracy" into the search bar, lots of reading on the subject.

I think that those searches will answer the op's ?

Products Discussed in

To Top