Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

5"BS x Zero offset, 20x9?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2011, 03:55 AM   #1
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
Blkturbo!'s Tacoma Gallery
5"BS x Zero offset, 20x9?

So I found some nice looking wheels that not everyone owns already...

What do you guys think about a 20x9 rim with 5in BS and zero offset for a 3in lifted '08 Sport?

Furthermore, I'd probably have to go with a 305/50/20 tire (32.0" overall diameter).
The 2nd best choice would be a 305/55/20 but the diameter jumps to 33.2" which might be pushing it as far as trimming and shit.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
With 5" backspacing there's just no way you could fit a 33 in 305 width. Even with 4.5" backspacing, guys have to trim to fit 285's. So you would be working with a wider tires, and 1/2" closer to the uca's.

My gut feeling is that even the 32's would be too wide to fit on a 5" bs wheel without rubbing.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
With 5" backspacing there's just no way you could fit a 33 in 305 width. Even with 4.5" backspacing, guys have to trim to fit 285's. So you would be working with a wider tires, and 1/2" closer to the uca's.

My gut feeling is that even the 32's would be too wide to fit on a 5" bs wheel without rubbing.
Thanks!

But isnt that because everyone with 285s is using a 70 and 75 series tires (32.7 - 33.8 diameters)?
What about a 32in tire if I kept the 4.5BS wheels?

And just to make sure, the only two factors that affect rubbing are diameter and BS, correct?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkturbo! View Post
Thanks!

But isnt that because everyone with 285s is using a 70 and 75 series tires (32.7 - 33.8 diameters)?
What about a 32in tire if I kept the 4.5BS wheels?

And just to make sure, the only two factors that affect rubbing are diameter and BS, correct?
There are some folks running 285/60/18's which are 32's, and they don't rub with ~5" backspacing. But I'm just wondering if 305, which is almost an inch wider, would be past the breaking point.

Width can also affect rubbing. The wider the tire, the more likely it is to stick out far enough to rub, for a given diameter.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #5

Well, I dont mind any minor plastic trimming if thats what you're predicting...and as far as the UCA, how much possibility there are you thinking?
heavy rubbing...light rubbing? And at FULL turns only?

32in 285s not rubbing 5in BS wheels.....i should be pretty decent with 32 with my original 4.5" BS idea?

Also, isnt there a place I can buy 1/4" spacers from to cheat a little on whicever configuration I gamble with? 1/4" spacer shouldnt stress the wheel/suspension geometry much, correct?

If this makes any difference at all, this is all gonna be used with Downsouth UCAs.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkturbo! View Post
Well, I dont mind any minor plastic trimming if thats what you're predicting...and as far as the UCA, how much possibility there are you thinking?
heavy rubbing...light rubbing? And at FULL turns only?

32in 285s not rubbing 5in BS wheels.....i should be pretty decent with 32 with my original 4.5" BS idea?

Also, isnt there a place I can buy 1/4" spacers from to cheat a little on whicever configuration I gamble with? 1/4" spacer shouldnt stress the wheel/suspension geometry much, correct?

If this makes any difference at all, this is all gonna be used with Downsouth UCAs.
If you hit the uca, that will be constant rubbing, regardless of whether you are turning or not. You're right that the math works out that if 285 with on 5" bs is alright, then 305 width on 4.5" should be fine.

If you are buying these from a shop, most will mount them for you to see if there's rubbing, and you can exchange them if they do rub.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #7

Hey i greatly appreciate the help so far. I need to have this figured out so I can get this damn lift done soon

Lemme know if this is an "ace in the hole" for me:
The same rim (BMF Novakane) is also offered an inch wider @ 20x10, however with 4.75" BS and -19 offset. Does that make things better or am I screwed by the extra inch in width?

And what are your thoughts on a 1/4 spacer just to get off the UCAs? Is that a total cure?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
I've got 4" bs with 1.5" AP wheel spacers and 285's. I had to Do a lot of trimming and they hit the cab mounts...