1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nokian Hakka LT or Studded Hakka 5 SUV?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Yazzyphoto, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Jan 21, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    Yazzyphoto

Yazzyphoto [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yazzy
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Blu Logic Bluetooth, Biongiovi DPS Acoustics, Line-Xd Skid Plate,
    I have a stock '11 TRD Sport with 265-70-17s.

I live in Canada with lots of unpredictable weather and drive a fair bit on secondary/coastal roads in the winter. I've been researching Nokians for a while now and it seems like they make great winter tires.

I'm considering getting Nokian Hakkapeliita LT which is a 10 ply tire.
    My other option is a Nokian Hakkapeliita 5 SUV which comes studded from the factory with square carbide tips. Apparently, this tire is very good.

I plan on doing some light offroading and sometimes towing a trailer. I'm not sure whether to go for the LT or the Hakka 5.

I suspect that the LT, with it's higher PSI will result in a stiffer, noisier ride.

Any suggestion or feedback?

Also, I'd like to put on 265-70-17s for a slightly bigger tire. Other than throwing off my speedometer by roughly 3%, is there any difference I could expect from bigger tires on a stock suspension?

Thanks!

2. Jan 21, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I ran an older set of Hakka LTs on another toyota truck and they were as you suspected a stiff tire. Nokians are a pretty popular winter tire in Vermont.
    My tacoma has studded snow tires (not hakkas) & I tow a lot in winter. I really like the traction & stopping ability with the studs especially with the 10x101 enclosed trailer. I am usually driving it up in the mountains & in adverse conditions. The studs have worked out great. My truck came with 16s so I stuck with 245/75/16 & used my steel rims for my winter tire set. The con is they will be noisy but that is all you really hear up anyway. I am glad I spent the money & went that way.

Good luck with your decision & welcome to the forum. :wave:
    Maybe others will chime in.

3. Jan 21, 2011 at 11:43 PM
    Nate7747

Nate7747 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Sport
    3" rough country lift, Black emblems, blacked out headlights, custom grill with grillcraft mesh grill and a FJ TOYOTA emblem, 130 watt KC off-road lights behind the grill, aFe CAI, Flowmaster 44 cat back dual exhaust, Pioneer 60wt amp, 10" sub, component speakers, and 7" touchscreen head unit, N-Fab steps coated with Rhino liner, studded 265/65R17 Hakka SUV tires for winter driving, new summer tires and wheels to come. Weather Tech floor mats.
    I have the Halla LTs on right now have absolutley swear by them, cost me $1,200 but well worth it. This is the seccond season I have had them and went out about 100 miles into the middle of nowhere last week hunting and had no problems at all. Its like driving in the summer or dry roads. My size is 265/65R17. The ride does not seem to be more bumpy than with the OEM stuff, but it does make a little more noise. Hope this info helps!

4. Jan 25, 2011 at 1:44 PM
    Yazzyphoto

Yazzyphoto [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yazzy
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Blu Logic Bluetooth, Biongiovi DPS Acoustics, Line-Xd Skid Plate,
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm still trying to decide whether to go for the 4 Ply Hakka 5 SUV tire or the 10 Ply Hakka LT tire. I guess stiffer ride/noise is a compromise for durability.

@Simonsmom, how stiff were the LTs on your truck? Would you still recommend them over the P rated tire?

Thanks!

5. Jan 25, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Honestly I do not remember other than the harsher ride but they were an incredible tire.
    Maybe nate7747 can help ya out? Or maybe some others?
    Post up pics when you decide what to get

6. Jan 26, 2011 at 5:56 PM
    Nate7747

Nate7747 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Sport
    3" rough country lift, Black emblems, blacked out headlights, custom grill with grillcraft mesh grill and a FJ TOYOTA emblem, 130 watt KC off-road lights behind the grill, aFe CAI, Flowmaster 44 cat back dual exhaust, Pioneer 60wt amp, 10" sub, component speakers, and 7" touchscreen head unit, N-Fab steps coated with Rhino liner, studded 265/65R17 Hakka SUV tires for winter driving, new summer tires and wheels to come. Weather Tech floor mats.
    I am running the Hakka 5 SUV on both my Tacoma and the wifes Rav4. I cant tell any diference when driving on them vs the tires that came on the truck other than a little more raod noise. Since Canada is right next to Alaska, come on over and I will let you drive around on them.

7. Nov 9, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    KRich

KRich Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Black DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Hi Yazzyphoto,

I was wondering what you decided to go with as I am choosing between the exact same tires and size myself right now. Part of me wants to get the nice meaty LTs but most of my driving is in the city and I am leery of the noise as I plan to go with studs. If you could let me know how it worked out for you and have any pics too that would be great.

thanks,
    Kyle

8. Oct 19, 2013 at 11:55 PM
    patruck

patruck New Member

Member:
    Has anyone had any experience with these two tires since the OP?

Looking at nokians for icy, packed snow in Northern Alberta, just not sure which one would be better on a stock TRD offroad.

Also, anyone have any pictures of either of these on a tacoma?

Thanks.

9. Oct 29, 2013 at 7:18 PM
    Eurosport

Eurosport Well-Known Member

Member:
    around the world
    i've had them both, the LT on the Tacoma and the 5SUV on X5.
    the LT compound is a little harder than the 5's, also the space in between the tread is more spaced out
    LT is super heavy being 10 ply, might stand up more to abuse, would use it for towing for sure.
    the LT is great for offroad or deeper snow, slush/gravel whatever you throw at it.
    the 5's are good for everything else, they are ok for deeper snow too but just not as good at the LT in that dept.
    they both clear super nice, grip is awesome.

all that said, i needed a tire for ice and wasn't happy with either one for that condition. until i switched to Blizzaks...since ice traction is number one priority for my needs/area. Blizzaks would climb my driveway with 1 inch thick pure ice, like a cat's claws...

Products Discussed in

To Top