Notices

BFG TA KO 285/65/18 on Chrome XD Monster with 3" Lift

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #61
jrgaither1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
jrgaither1's Tacoma Gallery
Good to know. Thanks.

I did not measure before/after heights - just eyeballing it. I have seen where others on TW have measure bed, frame, or fender height (front and back) to get the delta.

Taking off the side steps gives the visual appearance of added height. And now I love the all black, no chrome look. I didn't originally.

I know this, my short legs have to stretch further to get in. With a lift, it will only be more stretch. May have to warm up before entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_TACO View Post
You do realize that if a tire is 2" taller, it will only make the truck sit 1" higher, right?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #62
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
I've been following this and am anxious to see the outcome after a lift if you decide to do one.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #63
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
Blkturbo!'s Tacoma Gallery
I'm just shocked more guys haven't tried using 305/60/18s! That's the show I'm waiting for I might have to take that plunge before I ever find a thread on someone who has already
Old 03-03-2011, 05:44 AM   #64
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgaither1 View Post
Good to know. Thanks.

I did not measure before/after heights - just eyeballing it. I have seen where others on TW have measure bed, frame, or fender height (front and back) to get the delta.

Taking off the side steps gives the visual appearance of added height. And now I love the all black, no chrome look. I didn't originally.

I know this, my short legs have to stretch further to get in. With a lift, it will only be more stretch. May have to warm up before entry.
If it weren't for my wife, I would remove my steps, but she's like 5'3" so it's a stretch for her to get in without the steps. Maybe I could just remove the driver's side and leave the other one on Your truck looks nice. Your wheels were actually what I wanted, but then I found the Moto Metals used for a good price and couldn't pass it up.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #65
se7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to behold

se7en's Tacoma Gallery
Just got a question regarding sizing on these and mine...thought I'd give some info for anyone needing more. As the OP mentioned earlier, I have a ton of info on mine, located here...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...ters-pics.html

But to add a little here as well, here's my two cents...

The OP (jrgaither1) backspacing worked here because he went with the TA's...in my case, those won't work well at all bc my Cooper's have a more vertical sidewall. If he had used the Coopers in lieu of the TA's, the tires would have rubbed with the tires pointed straight, let alone at full lock!

His pic here shows the inward concave shape...

Mine are much more vertical from sidewall straight up!! Therefore, I HAD to go with the larger 4.5" bs in order to clear the UCA's.
Here's how much I had WITH a larger backspace. Imagine mine going in toward the UCA another 1.25" or so...

NOW...he rubbed at full lock bc his back spacing brought his rims CLOSER into the fender well, where he rubbed on the inside plastic. I also rubbed on plastic but at a different place. Since mine PUSHED my rims further from the fender, mine rubbed at a different spot in the fender well. In order to correct my rubbing (which it still does on occasions), I lifted mine. The biggest difference between his setup and mine is that I can TRUELY go wheeling (and do) and he cannot. If he does, he will chew the hell outta his inside fender well!! If you look at the picture comparison he provided in post #37, you can see the difference in clearance between his tire and fender and mine...it may not look like a lot, but there's 1.5" more in mine, thus giving me the clearance needed to wheel. If he chooses to make his off road worthy, he probably won't need a 1.5"...more like 3/4"...to clear his fender bc his rims are closer in. Clear as mud?

Hope this helps!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #66
TheRiddleOfSteel is on a distinguished road
TheRiddleOfSteel's Tacoma Gallery
so if you had a 18mm offset, wouldnt a 12mm offset (ones im looking at) rub less? (and a 0 offset even better?)
Old 03-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #67
se7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to behold

se7en's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddleOfSteel View Post
so if you had a 18mm offset, wouldnt a 12mm offset (ones im looking at) rub less? (and a 0 offset even better?)
Not necessarily. See, mine are -12mm offset, but the OP's are +18mm...and we BOTH still rub...just in different places. His rubs on the fender and the UCA and mine rubbed on the fender and stuck out past the fender well about 2". It just depends on what look you want.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #68
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Quote:
Chad:

I may later.

But likely just 1.5-2.0". I like the way it looks now and do not want to affect the ride quality. The new tires and 18" wheels added nearly 2 inches over the 265/65/17's.

Plus, I removed the side steps and do not like the extra step in distance. It's my wife's truck, but i now drive it more for errands. My wife has issues getting in/out with a skirt.

It is definitely an attention getter with the black KMC XD Monsters and 285 BFG's. I also love the no chrome - all black look.

I just had the front windows tinted with 20%.

Right now, I am going to focus on a xtang tri-fold bed cover.

And maybe a skid plate.
pics, or shes lying.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #69
TheRiddleOfSteel is on a distinguished road
TheRiddleOfSteel's Tacoma Gallery
good info, thx

(and if anyone cares to give their thoughts, I made a thread about the rims Im thinking of going with)
Old 03-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #70
All:

Se7en's build is what I used to build mine. Obviously, because:

1. His Tacoma is a black double cab.

2. He used KMC XD Monsters (I original could not see getting black rims - then bam it hit me - It took alot of looking and soul searching)

3. He used a Copper Zeon (A tire a was seriously considering) In the end I had to change to the BFG due to clearance, as I wanted the tires under the fenders)

4. He had the Bed Cover I wanted. However, I ended up going with Tonno Pro.

5. He ended up lifting the truck. I will as well. Likely, will use the coils/shock option and skip the spacers/block.

Se7en - I appreciate you chiming in here and glad you make yourself available to help clear up issues for people here on TW.

I understand the anxiety people have about making these decisions. It's money, it's an issue of buyers remorse of not liking it after, and wondering if all the components work together.

Personally, I spent 4 months looking, researching on TW, and pricing. So, I wanted give everyone here pics, pricing, and my opinion. I hope it helps you be less anxious and more confident in your decision.

In the end, you will have to make the decision w/o perfect information - that is why I recommend you take it a reputable wheel and tire place. I used Discount Tire and was pleased. I asked them the questions about "what if it doesn't work" and they were willing to work with me and didn't treat me like a lamb to be fleeced. They did some leg work for me calling around to see what would work and then got right on the price in a hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Not necessarily. See, mine are -12mm offset, but the OP's are +18mm...and we BOTH still rub...just in different places. His rubs on the fender and the UCA and mine rubbed on the fender and stuck out past the fender well about 2". It just depends on what look you want.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #71
Lex:

Stay tuned. I am pricing options now.

I have never even ridden in a lifted truck.

But I can imagine spacer/blocks riding harsh.

I also like a nice driving handling vehicle. Other vehicles - 2001 BMW 330 and 2010 Cadillac CTS.

I have always loved the way the Tacoma rides. So, I want to maintain that feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEX View Post
I've been following this and am anxious to see the outcome after a lift if you decide to do one.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #72
Nick:

Your a naughty boy. I guess we are all hardwired the same way. How predictable. I guess we all get it from Adam - craving knowledge and obeying women.

I like the thought of her getting out that truck in a skirt.

I'll see if she will show "me" the skirt issue before I lift the truck.

Create your own reason to test out this "purely scientific delimna"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
pics, or shes lying.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #73
Blkturbo:

Look at post 10 in this thread. The black Tacoma. Those are 295's. That is a lot of wheel/tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkturbo! View Post
I'm just shocked more guys haven't tried using 305/60/18s! That's the show I'm waiting for I might have to take that plunge before I ever find a thread on someone who has already
Old 03-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #74
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
Blkturbo!'s Tacoma Gallery
Yea I wouldn't mind so much using 295s rather than 305s....but 295s don't have the shorter sidewall options that 305s have (60).

Instead, 295s are always 70 or 75s.....meaning, they have more overall diameter (more "reach" to rub on shit somewhere.

Checking tire calculator between 295s and 305s seems like with a 12in (not 12.5 like some guys) tire with less sidewall and less overall diameter will give me the edge while not risking so much rub somewhere.

Please, I invite anyone to tell me anything they know about my thought process on this, as I've never shopped for tire squeezing on a truck before....and one that will be lifted.

Also, I'm already sort of preparing myself to cab chop with these if needed. I worked in body shops for 8yrs, so I'm not totally scared to do this, although I'd rather not have to if I can help it.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #75
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Lex:

Stay tuned. I am pricing options now.

I have never even ridden in a lifted truck.

But I can imagine spacer/blocks riding harsh.

I also like a nice driving handling vehicle. Other vehicles - 2001 BMW 330 and 2010 Cadillac CTS.

I have always loved the way the Tacoma rides. So, I want to maintain that feel.
I'm doing a 5100/Eibach lift tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think. Did you get my PM?
Old 03-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #76
Lex:

There seems to be some effect to acceleration. I can feel the difference slightly. But I can not measure it.

OE Tire Weight: 36
OE Wheel Weight: 26

BFG Tire Weight: 60
KMC XD Monster Weight: 30

So, 90 V. 62 or 28 lbs. X 4 wheels.

Meh....Not enough for me to care about. If I was towing, it may be an issue. Again, not enough to worry about. I drive around town, ZERO hills (Live near ZERO Elevation = Gulf of Mexico Coast). If I still lived up north, maybe.

I am responding to PM's but me settings say I have 0 sent messages. Let me know if you got my PM.

Give me some pricing on your options and what you are doing with the rear? Thanks.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEX View Post
I'm doing a 5100/Eibach lift tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think. Did you get my PM?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #77
--- --- --- - ----

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
I'm doing Bilstein 5100s all the way around, 2" aal (no tsb), and Eibach coils. I set my Bilsteins to .85.

Shocks purchased from Downsouth Motorsports. Coils and aal purchased from Toytec. You get a discount from each vendor for being a TW member.

My truck is almost done.

Yep, I got your pm. I'm still trying to decide on a wheel and tire combo.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #78
--- --- --- - ----

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
My thoughts so far. I freaking love it. It's true what they say, it truly does feel better than stock. Unbelievable for a lift. I'll continue with my thoughts later with a before and after pic.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:08 AM   #79
--- --- --- - ----

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
Before:

After:

The ride is fantastic. No vibes at all. My steering wheel is slightly off, but I'm getting an alignment next weekend.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:28 AM   #80
trd sport is on a distinguished road
trd sport's Tacoma Gallery
lift

Hey Lex, did you end up installing the 5100's set at .85? Did you get 2.5 inches of lift out of that setup (eibach + 5100) ?