Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Back spacing? What?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
Professional High Fiver
Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really nice

Oh_Six_Taco_4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Back spacing? What?

Brief review: 06 4x4 access cab. 3" toytec spacer w/ long AAL. I want to put 285/70/17 BFG All Terrains.

Will I need to get back spacers for that size tire? It's news to me. This might be a silly question but will they make my tires extend wider than my wheel well? Also, will those tires rub?
Old 08-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Your gonna have a little rubbing on the mud flab, and maybe the pinch weld, but those are easy fixes. The wheel back spaceing you want, IIRC, is 4.5".
Old 08-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
Professional High Fiver
Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really nice

Yea but will they poke out? Where would I pick up IIRC 4.5" spacers?
Old 08-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 View Post
Yea but will they poke out? Where would I pick up IIRC 4.5" spacers?
IIRC means "If I Remember Correctly"
Are you wanting to run stock wheels? The 4.5" back spaceing is for new wheels. If your want to run stock wheels, I think your gonna need 1" wheel spacers.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=chris4x4;161225]IIRC means "If I Remember Correctly"

HAHAHAHA
Old 08-30-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
Professional High Fiver

I appreciate funny stuff. I took a moment and laughed at myself. Thanks. Yes, I plan to run my stock TRD sport rims. 1" spacer?
Old 08-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
nah its cool man. everybody has their moments
Old 08-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #8

Hey, Tim. I have never heard of anyone breaking their calipers from trail damage. If you get a 4.5" back spaced wheel to fit 285's, odds are you are also getting a wider wheel to acomodate the extra tire width, thus negating the loss in caliper protection. Post a link to caliper damage.
FWIW, Your priceing for re gearing seems kinda high. My last regear was only 1150.00 front and rear.
Last but not least, If you are rubbing your tire on the coil, you have a broken spindle.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
what happens when you peel the tire off the bead on a rock climb or get any type of flat in an rocky area where you cant immediatly stop?

they tuck those calipers inside the rim by design
I understand why they put the calipers where they do, I have just never met anyone who would continue climbing when they blow a bead. Still, even if whoever was stupid enough to keep going, they would surely rip the break lines off, and the ABS wires before causeing harm to the calipers.