Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

How bad is ride between the "P" metric and the "LT" rated tires?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #1
Black Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 6 years PA Army National Guard, 28th Infantry Division, 28th Signal Battalion
Name: Jeff
Black Sheep's Tacoma Gallery
How bad is ride between the "P" metric and the "LT" rated tires?

I am going to order the Nitto Terra Grapplers. But could someone tell me what the difference in ride might be between the "P" rated 265/70/16 and the "LT" rated 265/75/16 8-ply? I know they will be stiffer. But will it ride like a "tank" or just be a little stiffer ride?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Going from the P-rated to the D load rating in a slightly taller tire...You'll find it doesn't sway as much over bumps on turns (like at highway speeds...p-rated are terrible in these situations). The LT-D will feel more "harsh" when you hit bumps. But the flipside of that is the lack of rebound. Hitting bumps with a P-rated tire will be softer but will rebound a time or two, so you feel it lasting a bit longer. The LT-D will hit them a little harder, but it ends immediately...no continued bouncing since the sidewall is stiffer. That's my experience from when I switched to (and back from) the BFG AT KO in load rating D (I was running p-rated before and am now again running a p-rated). I actually will be going back to an LT tire next time. I just don't like the spongy feel of the P-rated tires (guess that comes from my sports car days).
Old 01-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
Black Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 6 years PA Army National Guard, 28th Infantry Division, 28th Signal Battalion
I am just afraid that they will rub. I had the tsb done and the 5100's are going on also. I don't want to have to do any trimming.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think you'll have any rubbing issues with the 265/75/16...I've read that's the largest you can fit on a stock 2nd gen without trimming anything. I've got a 2" lift and went for the 265/75/16 in a 10 ply and am very happy with the way they handle. Like mentioned you'll feel the bumps more but it's not that much different. The truck handles alot better after getting rid of the p rated pieces of shit. Now when I go around a corner the truck doesn't lean anymore...feels very soild. I got the bfg a/t's. If you do go to a higher load rating play with the psi for the best ride...do the chalk test. I ended up at 36psi in the back and 40 up front.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
I ended up at 36psi in the back and 40 up front.
They're going to wear in the center. When I had my BFG AT KO in load range D, I ran them at 35 front, 33 rear. It was still too high, as they were worn in the center after several years. I run 33 front and 31/32 in the rear now...and that's with a double cab.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
FloridaFeMan is a jewel in the roughFloridaFeMan is a jewel in the roughFloridaFeMan is a jewel in the rough
Army: 66H8A  DDEAMC
FloridaFeMan's Tacoma Gallery
I am running C rated Dura Tracs on my FJ and the ride is solid, better than stock, and isn't too stiff. I was running a P metric Nitto Terra Grappler on my DC Taco Sport and the ride was better than stock but I lost about 1-2 mpg in fuel economy. I am running a D load BFG AT/KOs on my H3T and the ride is firm but nothing to complain about. The H3T is a fairly heavy vehicle (4911 lbs curbside weight) compared to the DC Tacoma (3920 lbs) so I am not sure how well the lighter Tacom will ride with the 8 plys (D load).
Old 01-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
They're going to wear in the center. When I had my BFG AT KO in load range D, I ran them at 35 front, 33 rear. It was still too high, as they were worn in the center after several years. I run 33 front and 31/32 in the rear now...and that's with a double cab.

Thanks..I'll do another chalk test once the weather warms up. I'm running the E rated so probably not that much different than your the D rated. Would there be any concern messing up the sidewall's of the e rated bfg a/t's running the psi in the low 30's?

edit: sorry about hijacking the thread Black Sheep...my bad.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
edit: sorry about hijacking the thread Black Sheep...my bad.
No problem. I am just looking for advice and answers like you. It is all good.