1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire Pressure for BFG AT 265/75/16??

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by kid108, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Feb 5, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    kid108

kid108 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marvin
    Bellflower, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    None Yet
    Hey I just got some new BFG AT 265/75/16 for my truck yesterday and was wondering what woud be the correct tire pressure for them. I hardly put any load on them and I usually stick to paved roads. Truck is my daily driver. Tire pressure is at 35psi all around but think thats a little too low considering the tire says a max psi of 80. Appreciate the help.

By the way, Im a new guy to TW and Im loving it. I have a 06 TRD Tacoma wht with no mods yet but will have some in the near future :D. Looking for all blk front grill with blk emblem and some blk or gun metal TRD rims for sale (FJ Cruiser or Tacoma). Looked on Ebay but Ive never bought anything from there so not very sure. If you guys can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks Again.:cool:

PS Ive seen some cool blacked out front headlights on here but not sure if its a mod or you can buy them like that.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 5, 2011 at 4:15 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Welcome to the board. The MAX psi and the operating PSI can be very different. The chalk line test is the best way to figure out good pressures.

Draw a chalk line across the tire, drive a bit (100 yds max) and see how the tire wears. If the chalk in the middle is gone- You are over inflated. Chalk on one or both edges gone, under inflated. Repeat until the wear is even across the whole tread. Note that pressure and then adjust from there. A little lower will soften up ride at the expense of mpgs. A little higher will boost mpgs (to a point) and make the ride a bit stiffer.

You can look up the BHLM, or smoked headlights and find what you like the best.

3. Feb 5, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Good advice... The truck is light compared to what the tires are rated to carry... I did find when I had 3 ply Cooper STT tires that 40 psi felt the best. If too low, you get a 'squishy' feeling... and at the Rugged Trail TA recommendation of 29 psi front and 32 psi back was too soft.

4. Feb 5, 2011 at 4:28 PM
    kid108

kid108 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marvin
    Bellflower, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    None Yet
    Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try this out.

Ya my tires feel too squishy especially on the hwy.

5. Feb 5, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I bet 40 psi will be close for you, too... At 45 my STTs felt too hard... every little bump was noticed more than normal.

6. Feb 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    always go by what toyota recomends. it's in the door jam of your truck. Tire pressure goes by the weight of your truck not by the tires you have on. So it doesnt matter what tires you have the pressure required will be close to the same as you would need with the stock tires. I would recommend setting the pressure at the pressure in your door jam then do the chalk line test to tweek it to get it just right. 35 psi is probably too high not too low. I run 30/32 front to back.

7. Feb 5, 2011 at 8:35 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I have bfg a/t's in 265/75/16...same as you. After doing the chalk test with the weight of a canopy I'm running 40psi front and 36psi rear. I might even try 36 front and 34 rear next time I adjust them. Due to the thicker side wall of the E rated tires I'm a bit hesitant to go any lower.

8. Feb 5, 2011 at 10:29 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    The tires Toyota gives us are P rated (Passenger Car) not TRUCK tires... The Rugged Fails are P tires and 29/32 is right for them... they have a maximum pressure rating of just 35 PSI.

The OP has replaced that kind of tire and gone to a real truck tire with a max. pressure rating of 80 psi. It is unsafe to drive an 80 psi rated tire at 32 psi at highway speed... Have you ever had a tire under-inflated and gone into a panic turn at highway speed? 40 psi may not be enough... He needs to do the chalk test and driving tests to confirm.

9. Feb 6, 2011 at 12:15 AM
    kid108

kid108 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marvin
    Bellflower, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    None Yet
    I agree. Driving my truck at 35psi did feel some what unsafe. I bumped up my tire pressure to 40 psi for the meantime and it feels more stable than before. I bumped up to 40psi for now but will do the chalk test in the morning. I'm pretty sure I will need some adjusting but I will get back to you guys tomorrow as soon as I get the results. Appreciate everyones input. Great community :D.

10. Feb 6, 2011 at 5:31 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    This just isn't smart advice. Toyotas recommendation is based on proper contact patch for the stock tires. If you use a different tire with a different load rating and thickness-The pressure could potentially be very different (altho 8-10psi is probably the largest variation) and that is important to driving feel and safe operation.

11. Feb 6, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    Bens05tacoma

Bens05tacoma Active Member

Member:
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    So what the recommended psi? I have the same tires as the OP. Thanks in advance. My tire psi right now 38 psi both front and back.

12. Feb 6, 2011 at 8:10 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    You have the same tires, but a different truck. So you need to do the chalk line test for yourself....See my first post for directions.

13. Feb 6, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    First off, i know what kind of tires come on these trucks. I've had mine for five years! I've ran several different types of tires from lt to p metric and i always run them somewhat close to what toyota recommends. 32 psi is NOT under inflated and definitely not gonna be dangerous. Those tires are rated to haul a lot more weight than our trucks are capable of handling. Thats why they have a max pressure of 80psi and a stiffer sidewall. The air pressure needed may vary for different tires, but not by much. Setting them to what toyota recommends is always a good starting point.
    In my original post i said to "set them at what toyota recommends and then do the chalk line test and tweak them from there".

This is my opinion and is not an attempt to start an internet argument. Everybody has there own opinion and this is mine. I will say that i would not intentionally give someone advise that i thought was unsafe. Tire pressure is very important. Thank you Hayden :D

14. Feb 6, 2011 at 6:33 PM
    kid108

kid108 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marvin
    Bellflower, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    None Yet
    Thanks guys. Haven't got around doing the chalk test. I bought some cheap chalk witch didnt help at all. Going to get some better thicker chalk tomorrow plus it's pretty dark out. I will get back with my results as soon as possible.

15. Feb 6, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    Nick Sells

Nick Sells Well-Known Member

Member:
    Elgin, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I have these same exact tires and I'm running 38 also seems to be the best

16. Feb 7, 2011 at 2:22 PM
    kid108

kid108 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marvin
    Bellflower, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    None Yet
    So I finally did the chalk test and I came up with 38psi in the front tires and 36psi in the rear.

I started off with 40psi and worked my way down from there. It took me a couple of tries but finally got it. I found working from a higher tire pressure and working your way down was the easiest. I also put about a 4inch stripe with chalk across my tires on all four gave me the best results. In my case I also found driving my truck for about 100 to 150 yards worked best on flat surface.

Again guys thanks for the help and advise. Now I'm confident that my tires will get the best possible wear along with rotation of tires every five thousand miles. Hope this helps others as it did for me:D ;)

17. Feb 9, 2011 at 4:07 PM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    I have the same size and type of tire.. I found 40 is too hard and 29/32 is a bit soft. I uually run around 35 on all 4. no prolems with wear or "panic' turns lol

good luck

18. Feb 21, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    I picked up 265/75/16 Duratrac's last Friday and run 40 PSI in the front. The rears were set at 40 PSI too, but the outside edges weren't hitting the pavement. I lowered them to 38 PSI last night, but forgot to look at them this morning after driving. 36 to 38 PSI in the rear seems about right.

19. Jul 12, 2011 at 4:36 AM
    tacomarich

tacomarich luvsoffroading

Member:
    First Name:
    rich
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    trd 4x4 offroad
    my results yield, 35-psi-265 75 16 bfg ats. with a great ride and most of my vibrations at highway speeds, have gone away. :D

20. Jul 13, 2011 at 4:03 AM
    brians05taco

brians05taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Lafayette,La.
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner white debadged 4.0
    lifted, bedcover,BHLM, grill, etc...
    running 35 as well in all four

Products Discussed in