1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RE: Tire Size vs Power vs Economy

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 2007 tacoma, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Feb 10, 2011 at 12:58 AM
    2007 tacoma

2007 tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab
    16" Alloys, K&N intake, Class III Hitch, US Truck Cap Rack, Carpeted Bed Mat, WeatherTechs, SeatSaver covers, Many more in the works
    Sorry for the x-post. Just documenting this in the tire section...

Regarding my tires in the past, I regarded them as something "on sale that day". I'm learning it's beyond the sale.

------------

I've been doing a lot of research into this and will continue to do so. This is an investment for me as well as an improvement to my truck.

When I got my truck it had undersized Michelin's on it, but they are nice and expensive tires so I'm riding on them and may be for a bit.

My research has reminded me there are many variables in this decision.

The good news is if you can find a tire that has less rolling resistance than your current and has less rotational mass (i.e. weight for this post), you'll gain mileage... then go large as your overall gear ratio will increase and you're more efficient.

Right now my top choice is Michelin Latitude Tour:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/name/latitude-tour-tires

It has a fuel efficiency of 10 for a SUV tire. (though what is the 10 a scale of?) "Most fuel-efficient tire in its class" caught my eye as well as the P265/75R16 size being green rated.

I don't work for Michelin. I'm just understanding now that I'm paying attention to tires (instead of what's on sale) that the selection is very significant.

More research to go before I shell out ~$800 or so for tires.

Regarding "power", you'd need to provide more information as to what you're doing to need the power. It could be good, could be bad.

Products Discussed in

To Top