Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

stripped lug bolts!!!

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
stripped lug bolts!!!

So apparently I forgot to tighten one of my wheels all the way after working on my truck. I drove for about 50 miles and felt a weird wobbling around turns. I then checked all the wheels and found one was loose so I tightened it again. A few miles later, I felt the wobbling return. I decided to take the lug nuts all the way off and redo it, but I couldn't even get them off. Apparently the wheel was slammin against the nuts and stripped the threads. Now the truck is in the shop getting new lugs put in that side. They tried to torque the lugs super hard to break them but it just kept spinning. They said they'll need to drill them out on Monday. Hopefully nothing with the hup is messed up. Such a stupid mistake - I feel like an idot.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
ive done it, you dont happen to use those 4wheelparts locking gorilla lugnuts do you. also you kinda have to pry those bastards off with the wheel to get the lug nuts off.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

well IMO the lug nuts are really shitty quality and since its happened to you as well i think im going to get something else, and no i didnt have any damage to the hub, mine were on the rear so I just popped off the drum and went to the dealer and picked up some lugs and put them back in.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #7

just to clarify, you were attempting to remove the lugnut and it was spinning, correct?

mine looked slightly similar to this, i should have taken a picture but i was pissed.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #10

its unlikely, I wouldnt put my money on that they are stripped in there.

the lugs are pressed into the little holes on the plate, like i said the lugnuts are shitty so i doubt there is any other problem
Old 02-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
and how did u get the nuts off if they were stripped?
I put an impact wrench to it and kept spinning it, and eventually enough little metal pieces came out, and then i was able to pry the nut off while torqueing the wheel to it.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Been there, done that (off road too). I ended up replacing all my lugs myself (half of them broke off, the other half were stripped).

My hub took a beating and some of the holes kind of beveled themselves, so I've had a lug nut break loose on me. I suspect it was after the tire shop took an impact wrench to it. I drilled it out myself in about twenty minutes. If I have a problem with a lug nut breaking loose again I'll pull the hub and tack weld them in place.

My advice is to replace all six lugs and nuts at the same time. NAPA sells them at a decent price.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #14
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to necro-post. I monkeyed up the wife's threads on her Highlander (2005) while doing a brake job. One stem won't let the lugnut start but the damage is pretty minimal. Am I going to be able to replace the lug without an air hammer? is there a tap/die set that I could use to fix the thread?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
usually the base of the stud is knurled to hold it in place. Press in, hammer out.

Howard