Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Mickey Thompson MTZ radials

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
Professional High Fiver
Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really nice

Oh_Six_Taco_4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Mickey Thompson MTZ radials

I just bought a set. Other than being a sexy looking tire, how does it perform? Any tesimonials on Milage, noise, rain?
Old 01-16-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
Hardcore wheeler, try and keep up.... if you can.
SnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud of

SnoBoarder's Tacoma Gallery
How do you like them now that you've had some time with them?
Old 01-16-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 View Post
I just bought a set. Other than being a sexy looking tire, how does it perform? Any tesimonials on Milage, noise, rain?
Here's a review from offroaders.com just in case...

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...n-Baja-MTZ.htm
Old 01-16-2009, 06:52 AM   #4
SnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud of

That is an excellent resource, I refer to them a lot! I spent hours and hours over there reading, great site. I talked to Mickey Thompson tech support directly on everything from trail performance, to road noise lug designs, rain and hard pack snow traction performance (MTZ's are siped) and tread wear. They seem to be the tire I'm looking for but my only remaining concern is average tread life.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:56 AM   #5
Professional High Fiver
Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really nice

Oh_Six_Taco_4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The tread wear is okay so far. I have about 5k miles on them without much wear. Performance wise, I couldn't be happier. I've been through sand, mud, rain, super super sloppy mud and street. Sorry, no snow here in Florida. There is very little road noise. I was expecting more from a M/T. +1 for the MTZs!!!
Old 03-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
happyb has a spectacular aura abouthappyb has a spectacular aura about
Name: Brandon
happyb's Tacoma Gallery
what size tires are you running? is there alot of rubbing or alot of trimming?
Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 View Post
The tread wear is okay so far. I have about 5k miles on them without much wear. Performance wise, I couldn't be happier. I've been through sand, mud, rain, super super sloppy mud and street. Sorry, no snow here in Florida. There is very little road noise. I was expecting more from a M/T. +1 for the MTZs!!!
Ya badass tires, my friend got em for his Jeep last summer! Whered you get them around Jax and how much?
Old 04-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #8

Got a set of 5 this week, $211 ea plus free shipping.. Thanks for the insight guys.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
happyb has a spectacular aura abouthappyb has a spectacular aura about
Name: Brandon
happyb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoBoarder View Post
Got a set of 5 this week, $211 ea plus free shipping.. Thanks for the insight guys.
how much trimming was done and rubbing with 33x12.5?
Old 04-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #10

Cab mount is cut back, plated and painted. The rear fender corners are trimmed just a little more than what I had for 285's. Same for the front fender corners, but I'm not hacking them anymore because I'll have a front bumper in a few more weeks so that will open everything up. I am going to pound the pinch weld a little bit tomorrow. I need to pull a leaking icon out and swap in my spare during the rebuilds. I'll be able to check that a little better then.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #11
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Just put these on mine also. Check out the pics in my other post.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #12
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
ahhhhh that snoboarder,hes got long sleeves with tricks up them.sounds like the mod bug brought freinds.lol.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #13

Definately caught the spring mod bug!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #14
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
id say,way cool.just put my new tires on tonight.wifes preety pissed right now.oh well shell get over it or get out......lol
Old 04-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
South Carolina Member
tjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant futuretjgraner09 has a brilliant future

Name: TJ
tjgraner09's Tacoma Gallery
i just got mine too
Old 04-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #16
ann margret
sevyn_stars will become famous soon enough

Army:
Name: adam
sevyn_stars's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoBoarder View Post
Cab mount is cut back, plated and painted. The rear fender corners are trimmed just a little more than what I had for 285's. Same for the front fender corners, but I'm not hacking them anymore because I'll have a front bumper in a few more weeks so that will open everything up. I am going to pound the pinch weld a little bit tomorrow. I need to pull a leaking icon out and swap in my spare during the rebuilds. I'll be able to check that a little better then.
I just put similar tires on mine and also cut the mount back. I haven't plated in yet, but I'm going to try to get to it this week. I was curious what the pinch weld is? I am still having some rubbing on bumpy turns and it annoys me. Any advice??? I think I've caught the bug too!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #17

Here's a good pic. It is behind the plastic. I pushed the tire full stuff with the coilover removed to determine exactly where to trim. You can see my cab mount mod courtesy of AtoZfabrication.com