Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Load Range: C, D, E or P-metric?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Load Range: C, D, E or P-metric?

Looking for opinions on different load ranges and how they compare.

I do mostly highway driving, but may find the need to do some mild off-roading in the future.

Would a C load range be a reasonable alternative to D or E, with better ride quality?

Or would it be more like a P-metric with a little heavier side wall?

Or somewhere else in between?

I'm a real newb when it comes to tires, and only know what I have read on TW. I didn't see this particular comparison on any other threads.

Thanks in advance for any info...
Old 02-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think you can even buy load range "C" light truck tires anymore - they've all gone D and E.

Tacomas can't carry enough weight to justify an LT tire on load alone. However, an LT tire, with its thicker casing and increased number of sidewall plies is more durable off road, and less likely to suffer cuts and punctures.

The downside is the (considerably) increased weight and rolling resistance makes for a less comfortable ride and increased gas mileage.

My Goodyear MTR/Kevlar LT285/70R17 Load Range D tires weigh roughly twice as much as the Dunlop A20 P245/75R16 tires they replaced. Granted they're also larger, but a P tire in that size would have about split the difference.

Short answer: If you're not going off road - stick to the P-Metric tires.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
I don't think you can even buy load range "C" light truck tires anymore - they've all gone D and E.

Tacomas can't carry enough weight to justify an LT tire on load alone. However, an LT tire, with its
I was looking at Geolandar A/T-S in D but read some opinions about the ride stiffening up. And before anyone flames me, I know it's a truck. Just trying to strike a balance between necessary utility and comfort.

The Falken High Country comes in LT in C range. Only weighs 49 pounds. That's in the running as well.

It also comes in P-metric..
Old 02-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
OK, If the tires I wanted were available in LT load range C, that's probably what I'd get.

If you're offroading a lot, you need to be carrying both a spare, and a tire repair kit with air compressor anyway.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
If you're overloading your truck (e.g. double cab with pop-up camper and gear) - step up to load range D.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OK, If the tires I wanted were available in LT load range C, that's probably what I'd get.
Agreed
Old 02-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #7

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

If you're offroading a lot, you need to be carrying both a spare, and a tire repair kit with air compressor anyway.
Going back to what you said before, the LT and C combo is not common. I've been looking at tires online for two frickin' months and I still can't make up my mind.

But I definitely would like to hedge my bets and have a tire capable of going off-road if needed.

Thanks for your input...
Old 02-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #8

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you're overloading your truck (e.g. double cab with pop-up camper and gear) - step up to load range D.
You never know, but I don't anticipate it being a payload issue. More of medium trail-type stuff with smaller rocks and tree roots. Wooded areas, gravel roads, etc.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Unless your planning on pulling a fairly heavy trailer or something, P metric is what comes on the truck and more than suitable for almost all applications.
Load range D, E, will affect ride (stiffer), and usually gas mileage (heavier).
Old 02-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Check out the Hankook AT's , lots of guys on here are happy with them .
Old 02-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryWi View Post
You never know, but I don't anticipate it being a payload issue. More of medium trail-type stuff with smaller rocks and tree roots. Wooded areas, gravel roads, etc.

Yokohama Geolander A/T-S is a great all around highway, light off road tire that would probably meet your needs. Reasonably priced too.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #12
trdr6 has a brilliant futuretrdr6 has a brilliant futuretrdr6 has a brilliant futuretrdr6 has a brilliant futuretrdr6 has a brilliant futuretrdr6 has a brilliant futuretrdr6 has a brilliant futuretrdr6 has a brilliant futuretrdr6 has a brilliant futuretrdr6 has a brilliant futuretrdr6 has a brilliant future

Name: Clay
trdr6's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be replacing mine with C's or at the most D's. E's are just more than I'll ever need but I hate the way my stock's (P metric) look slack when properly inflated. I'll probably go with Duratracks, you have to look but I've seen them available in C load range.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
I have Firestone Destination A/Ts in load range C I picked them because of the extra ply and higher pressure capacity.
I got into an argument once about how C rated tires are useless cause the weight rating on them is less than a P rated tires. BUT LT tires are derated because tire companies expect them the be loaded so they underrate them a little but where as P rated tires the max weight rating is all you got.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #14

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Check out the Hankook AT's , lots of guys on here are happy with them .
I've read good reviews on them as well, but I like the tread on the Geos and High Countrys better. I also prefer a simple design on the side wall. The hankooks got a little more going on than I prefer.

But it's down to those three considering all factors (ride, some off-road ability and appearance).

Thank you to everyone for the input.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:56 AM   #15
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

There is absolutely no need to step up to a D load tire for hauling a camper and gear on a Tacoma.

Say for instance you are looking at a 265/75/16 tire, randomly chose a Goodyear Duratrac Load C range has a load index of 112, which is about 2,400 and something pounds PER tire. Multiply that by 4 = 9,600 lbs...basically a Load C is even more than our little Tacomas can handle.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:42 AM   #16
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
I have P rated all terrain tires, mostly highway and some minor offroading, they have held up just fine for 2+yrs.
My gas mileage was not affected and my ride quality improved over the sloppy dunlops I had.

I'd never go with D or E rated tires on a Tacoma. We have E rated on our Chevy 2500HD that we use for towing over 10K pounds and the ride quailty and gas mileage sucks, D rating would be just as bad.
LT or C rated tires and also P rated all terrains are sufficient.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:01 AM   #17
chilean101 is on a distinguished road
Name: ives
chilean101's Tacoma Gallery
I've had bfg all terrains on my last Tacoma load range d ,even though they looked good they rode like shit (like a tractor), I then got passenger rated Michelin and it was way to soft a ride. Once I got my new truck I slapped on bridgestone duelers a/t load range c and they're great , Not too rough or too soft
C is the way to go
Old 02-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #18

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilean101 View Post
I've had bfg all terrains on my last Tacoma load range d ,even though they looked good they rode like shit (like a tractor), I then got passenger rated Michelin and it was way to soft a ride. Once I got my new truck I slapped on bridgestone duelers a/t load range c and they're great , Not too rough or too soft
C is the way to go
With the research I have done, that was kind of my conclusion as well. I just wanted to throw it out to confirm, and get some opinions from owners like yourself that have actually had the different load ranges.

Got a lot of great opinions depending on my specific use.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #19
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The stock TRD BFG Rugged Trails in 265/70R-16 are light (30 lb) quiet on the highway, and stable at high speeds. I've taken them to over 100 mph (uh, on a privately owned closed road course... ) and the truck behaves better than my previous sedan. The total weight of a Rugged Trail tire together with a Konig Countersteer (18 lb) is lighter than a BFG All-Terrain tire alone. Something to think about if you don't plan on serious off roading.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #20
vermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

vermintrex's Tacoma Gallery
My BFG A/T 265/70/17's are C rated. Just got 'em last year, don't think they're uncommon.

Ride great.