Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tires for an OverLanding Rig

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
navysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11 Bang Bang Infantry
Name: Zach
navysealboy93's Tacoma Gallery
Tires for an OverLanding Rig

So I've finally decided what 3in. suspension kit I'm going to get (mainly from info on the this site) and I want to get the kit and the tires on at one time once I save up the cash and the truck is due for new tires. But I've run into a problem..I have no idea what size tires will work for what I need, I have been reading everything I can find on here but I am still clueless. I found this article on expo portal and I want to build my truck up like they have, as in simple, reliable and keeping as many things as close to stock as possible to keep the truck working as it was designed to.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/what...fications.html

" It is recommended that the tire height not increase more than two-inches larger than the largest standard tire for that vehicle in stock configuration. It is also recommended that the tire width increase be limited or if possible, kept at the same width as stock. This will allow full compression travel and full turning radius. Select the tread design based on the environments you will likely be traveling in. Match the load rating to GVWR and ensure that only LT (Light Truck) tires are use"

I like the look of 255/85/16 size tires that are on such trucks as Barlowrs and Tacovendor's, but I want to look at more options before I commit to anything. So in your opinion what tire sizes would suit the "overland" look the best?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
265/75R16.

Simple, same width as stock, widely available, 1" oversize diameter.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Cant go wrong with the 255/85's
Old 02-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
qwertypepper will become famous soon enoughqwertypepper will become famous soon enough
Name: cam
qwertypepper's Tacoma Gallery
looking to do the same with my rig. 5100 arrived today. tsb too come. tires and wheels still up in the air. looking forward to see some pics of your truck. im having trouble finding a selection in the 255 range.....subed
Old 02-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
If you're travelling to East Bumfukistan, you want a commonly available tire size.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
navysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
If you're travelling to East Bumfukistan, you want a commonly available tire size.
That's another great point to consider.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses so far guys. I'm still a bit confused as far as what will fit on the stock TRD Offroad wheels. If I were to go on-line or went to a store and said " I'll have some 255/85/16's please" would that work with the stock wheels? and also what about the spare tire? Besides just getting a tire-gate like system (keep in mind the simpler the better).
Old 02-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #8
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by navysealboy93 View Post
Thanks for the responses so far guys. I'm still a bit confused as far as what will fit on the stock TRD Offroad wheels. If I were to go on-line or went to a store and said " I'll have some 255/85/16's please" would that work with the stock wheels? and also what about the spare tire? Besides just getting a tire-gate like system (keep in mind the simpler the better).
The 255/85/16 fit stock rims. I have them. They look awesome and haven't effected my milage.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
The absolute largest tire size that you can fit on a 2nd gen tacoma that will clear 99% of suspension travel is a 265/75/16 or 265/70/17. That's a 31.5 inch tall by 10.5 inch wide tire.

You can prolly go a little taller, but you might rub on full compression, you can prolly go a little wider, but you'll rub on your body/cab mounts.

You can always go a wee bit skinnier, or a wee bit shorter.

Also,

Tire rubbing:

Although the height is increased with a lift? The size of the wheel/fender opening remains the same.
So in actuality the stock 265's are the biggest tire that can articulate and clear through 98% of the suspensions range of movement.

The 285's is more for aesthetics and looks rather than serious offroading.

If you choose to run 285's, with a 3" lift, and you want to do some serious offroading? Then you may need to cut away a portion of you front body mount, to allow the tire free movement while doing full turns.

But don't be mistaken with this set up you can still do some great offroading! You just may encounter some rubbing of your tires.

From here:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...uide-read.html
I agree, except that no body mount chop is required/needed with 255/85/16s. Unless you get different back spacing. In other words keep stock rims for 255/85/16s.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #10

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
255/85/16 is a 33 inch tall by 10 inch wide tire.

Not going wider than a 265 will avoid chopping the cab mounts, but doesn't that rub a bit when fully compressed?
It barely hits the frame on the passenger side full lock to the right on the street. I don't notice any rubbing when fully compressed and full lock either way.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
The 255/85/16 fit stock rims. I have them. They look awesome and haven't effected my milage.
That's awesome. I had heard they didn't effect mileage very much and I had forgot to mention that was one of the reasons I was looking into them.

What about off-road performance? I see a lot of mud,sand and in the winter usually a ton of snow, so I was wondering how they stack up against fatter tires.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:32 AM   #12

bump
Old 03-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #13

I got my tires guys. Went with 255/85's

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:01 AM   #14
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by navysealboy93 View Post
I got my tires guys. Went with 255/85's

Thanks for your help.
Hell yeah. I'm going with the same tires here when I'm due. We'll have twin trucks here pretty soon. Any chance you could post up a straight front and straight rear photo? from a low angle... When you get a chance of course... and pretty please.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Hell yeah. I'm going with the same tires here when I'm due. We'll have twin trucks here pretty soon. Any chance you could post up a straight front and straight rear photo? from a low angle... When you get a chance of course... and pretty please.
You got it dude.

Did some off roading last weekend at Rausch Creek Off-road park in PA and I gotta say I fell in love with these tires AGAIN. The clearance alone was amazing.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, thank you! I really like the look of the 255's. I don't know that they look cooler, per se, but they look good enough, and they look very functional. Ultimately, function over form anyway.

I've done my research, but what are your impressions so far? Specifically, I'm curious about any changes to handling/comfort on the highway, steering feel looser? As I continue to outfit my truck for trails, I have a long work commute that isn't going away...

Not sure if you're tha one to ask, but have you noticed the narrower mud tire being any quieter on pavement in comparison to its wider cousins?

Thanks again!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Awesome, thank you! I really like the look of the 255's. I don't know that they look cooler, per se, but they look good enough, and they look very functional. Ultimately, function over form anyway.

I've done my research, but what are your impressions so far? Specifically, I'm curious about any changes to handling/comfort on the highway, steering feel looser? As I continue to outfit my truck for trails, I have a long work commute that isn't going away...

Not sure if you're tha one to ask, but have you noticed the narrower mud tire being any quieter on pavement in comparison to its wider cousins?

Thanks again!
I put my OME 3in lift and the tires on at the same time and I personally feel that it is more comfortable than stock. As far as handling goes, I was navigating the steep climbs,drops and awkward turns of PA roads last weekend (in extremely rainy conditions) with no concerns. and steering doesn't seem different at all.

As far as road noise goes. One of my friends has an '86 Bronco with 33'X13.5 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws(I think that's about right) and that thing sounds like a freight train heading down the road..he said he can't even hear his radio on high when hes going highway speeds..The 255/85's road noise is not even close to being that annoying, once I get some music going on at a reasonable level, I barely even notice the small amount of noise coming from the tires.

Hope that helps with answering those questions dude. If you have anymore just let me know.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #18
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks good! I wish I could've made Raush Creek, I was looking forward to it, but funding fell through.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by udy2554 View Post
Truck looks good! I wish I could've made Raush Creek, I was looking forward to it, but funding fell through.
Wish you could have made it too man. Hopefully next time.