* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
mattioss is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
mattioss's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mattioss
New Tires turned brown

Hey guy,

I got new tires about 2 weeks ago and the front two tires have since turned brown and they won't come clean. I've tried everything to clean them and they are still this disgusting brown color. The rear drive tires are still black no signs of browning. I haven't driven through mud, dirt, sand hasnt been sitting in sun.

They are BF Goodrich tires and its not just the sidewall but the tread too. Any ideas?

Matt
Old 02-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
What did you clean them with?
Old 02-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
I took it back to the dealership who installed the tires and whatever they tried using some industrial cleaner, I tried regular Meguiras tire cleaner, simple green and just thats it. The dealership told me to call BF Goodrich and talk to them about it
Old 02-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ yup!

unfortunately your stuck with it, all you can do is hide it with tire dressing.

it's to keep the outside of the tire from rotting and cracking, like stated.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
but my question is why did only two of them do it and not all 4? and why is the tread brown? wouldnt that have an affect on the drive of the truck possibly on slick roads?
Old 02-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
TRy some Wesleys Bleche White. It might help.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
This is really strange if they are as brown as you make it seem. I've gone through around 6 sets of bfg a/t's over the years and never had that happen. I slight discoloration maybe but that's normal. Without pictures to see I'd say your referring to a black tire with maybe a slight browish tint when looking at it in sunlight. Do you use some kind of tire dressing stuff? I"ve never used any of that crap but it could be what is causeing the brown appearance when the sun hit's it.

Edit...so the tread is also brown? It allmost sounds like a bad batch of rubber or something. How old are the affected tires? You can google to find out how to read the sidewall to find out the month and year of manufacture. This is really strange....
Old 02-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
mrmumbels will become famous soon enoughmrmumbels will become famous soon enough
Marines: Sgt CSSG-1
mrmumbels's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
I was just going to say that! I'd almost put money on it that it'll work. There's a few other tire cleaners that do the same thing though. Careful getting it on aluminum.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
mrmumbels will become famous soon enoughmrmumbels will become famous soon enough
Marines: Sgt CSSG-1
mrmumbels's Tacoma Gallery
this is what bleche white will do

Old 02-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #13
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattioss View Post
but my question is why did only two of them do it and not all 4? and why is the tread brown? wouldnt that have an affect on the drive of the truck possibly on slick roads?
because it happens randomly to some tires.

I'd talk with bfg for sure, because regardless of whether it's a safety concern or not, you bought black tires, not brown. hopefully they will fix it!
Old 03-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #15
Sorry it took so long to update but I contacted BFG and they explained the Oxidation to me and they said normally it goes away within 2-3 weeks they told me to use a mild dish soap with hot water and scrub brush daily if i wanted to speed it up, well guess what I have black tires again, looks sharp now!
Old 03-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I know any easy way to turn the tread black...

Old 03-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #17
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
x2, that stuff is the jam
Old 09-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #18
Mark O is on a distinguished road
Name: mark
Mark O's Tacoma Gallery
my tires are turning brown also on my 2011 Tacoma,they are BF Goodrich,I clean them and put tire dressing on them and they comeback brown in 2 or 3 days.http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_ow...n/photostream/
Old 09-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #19
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome Mark to TW

Have you tried takeing a tire brush to that?
Old 09-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #20
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
I used Wesley's not too long ago, awesome stuff. A good APC will also work.