Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

So how many have nitrogen filled tires?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
So how many have nitrogen filled tires?

My truck came with the nitrogen in the tires, is this worth the effort? Sounds like a gimmick to keep me going into the stealership every time a tire is low. I have my own air compresser and have maintained our tire pressure regularly for years. I dont like the idea of having to take the truck in just for a low tire.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Supreme Ruler
Snowman11 is on a distinguished road

Name: Snow
Snowman11's Tacoma Gallery
It's a waste. However if you use Nitrous Oxide, you can at least get high when you have spare time.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Its for people that are too stupid or too lazy to check and fill their own tires. Its suposed to maintain pressure for a longer period of time.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
This may be a dumb question, but I am not familar with the nitrogen thing. I have heard of it though. But if I get a low tire can I just put air in, or do I need to let all the nitrogen out first?
Old 02-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
This may be a dumb question, but I am not familar with the nitrogen thing. I have heard of it though. But if I get a low tire can I just put air in, or do I need to let all the nitrogen out first?
Just fill it with cheese.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
My dealer gave me 22% off, but only filled them with 78% nitrogen
Old 02-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
i've got it in mine,but only cause i get it free at work
Old 03-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
LeftyTom has a spectacular aura aboutLeftyTom has a spectacular aura about
LeftyTom's Tacoma Gallery
What about the claims that it increases MPG's? Any truth, or just marketing hype?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
My brother had it in his tires, supposetivly it was supposed to ride better, but it just made the truck feel like it was floating around on the road.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:58 PM   #12
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
The shop that sold me my tires have free lifetime rotations with it, and they always fill it with nitrogen.

*shrug* w/e
Old 03-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #13
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
I did when I was buying tires from Costco. They put Nitrogen in for FREE. I could tell a difference. With air, I have to add it occasionally. With Nitrogen, I never needed to add to it. I would never pay for Nitogen. it isn't worth it! If it is free then go for it.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #14
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTom View Post
What about the claims that it increases MPG's? Any truth, or just marketing hype?
It didn't do anything for better MPG when I used it.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #15
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tacoprerunner View Post
My brother had it in his tires, supposetivly it was supposed to ride better, but it just made the truck feel like it was floating around on the road.
Thats because he was using Helium.

Floating feeling can be from over inflation. Not nitrogen only. I ran it in two sets of tires. No difference than air, other than it didn't leak out as fast as air.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #16

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTom View Post
That is for the people that don't keep their tire pressure at what they are suposed to be (like running low tires). The nitrogen just "says" longer, so you don't run with flat tires and that is how it "increases" your mpg.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:09 AM   #17

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
Floating feeling can be from over inflation. Not nitrogen only. I ran it in two sets of tires. No difference than air, other than it didn't leak out as fast as air.
Correct.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #18
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
nitrogen is more dense than oxygen. therefore yes it does leak out slower. However, the main reason to run pure nitrogen is because it compresses less. Therefore the tire pressure does not change as much with elevation and temperature. so there is less maintenance. its all about keeping pressure consistent. inflate once in the summer and the pressure will be near the same in the winter when it -20 because it compresses less.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #19
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
thats also why they run N in race cars, because as the tires get hotter the pressure wont increase as much as air

Also nitrogen is dry so no moisture and it is pure so no oxygen to oxidize the interior of the rim
Old 03-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #20
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
My dealer gave me 22% off, but only filled them with 78% nitrogen