1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rusted rim........ Paint to new

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by phoneguy44, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Feb 20, 2011 at 5:34 AM
    phoneguy44

phoneguy44 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Oxford, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Double Cab
    If anyone could help me I figured you guys could.

I wash cars on the side. Had a customer come in the other day asking me if I could paint her rims black so the ugly rust wouldnt show her hubcaps. Her exact words were, "I want to see pretty black when I look at my wheels."

What do I need fellas ? I'm no painter for sure but I'll tackle anything for some money. Just dont want to screw anything up.

Do I need to put any chemicals on it that eat rust ? Prime then paint ?
    Make it easy on me, step by step instructions would be great ! - Thanks guys

1_8d8f823fcbacb7e8b347ac5a4e094694698e4fbc.jpg

3_d4afec7737614426525e44f684f08f04e21529be.jpg

2. Feb 20, 2011 at 5:40 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You need to clean that off. She is gunna need to leave the car with you for a day or two to give you enuf time to do it right.

Pull all four wheels. Clean them really well, sand down any scaled rust, clean them again. Then use a rust converting or sealing primer for a coat or two. Then paint with a good quality black paint.

Duplicolor makes a wheel paint that is supposed to have extra durability....Any of the normal spray paints will work too.

I'd recommend taping off the tire or sticking index cards between the rim and tire so you don't get a lot of overspray.

3. Feb 20, 2011 at 5:40 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    hell it looks like a hub cap .....
    if its steel just sand it prime it paint it..... pop hubcap back on.....
    there is so rust reformer stuff you can use also...
    g/l

4. Feb 20, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    phoneguy44

phoneguy44 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Oxford, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Double Cab
    Dang, I knew you were going to say the word "sanding."

Yes, it is just a hub cap.

I'll check into some rust reformer. I'm certainly looking for the easiest way to do this. I knew this was going to be a job, just trying to get my list up so I know what to charge her. Most of all, do it right.

1. Labor
    2. Chemicals / Paint

5. Mar 9, 2011 at 2:09 PM
    Shelley

Shelley New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Actually is a Matrix
    Hi: I am new to this, so please bear with me...

I do not own a Tacoma, but rather a 2003 Matrix. I was surfing the web for information on how to paint the rusted "hubcaps" and came across your thread. My "wheels" look EXACTLY LIKE the picture you posted of your customer's, who wanted you to paint them black. I want to do the same and appreciated the responses to your post that explained how to do it.

However, I am very ignorant of some things and have not been able to find good answers, and wonder if you can clarify ...

• In the picture, you and the responders in the thread are calling the large, rusted circular part that looks like it is made of steel or some other metal the "hubcap." BUT, we also have plastic pop-ins "hubcaps" ...
    • Do we really have two sets of "hubcaps" on each wheel? Or are there actually other different and correct names for these parts?
    • The "hubcap" that looks like it is made of steel/metal has what look like lug nut holes, but are empty in your picture. Why do they not have lug nuts in them? How are they being held on?
    • Is the only purpose of either of our "hubcaps" decorative, or do they serve another purpose?
    • Are any of these parts (or any part that you can identify for me in the picture) what is called the "rim"??
    • Can I find new steel/metal "hubcaps" to replace the rusted ones, and, if so, about how much do they cost? (And am I correct in assuming these would NOT be the same as the new "alloy rims" I see everywhere that cost so much???!!!)
    If you can make sense of these questions, thank you, and I appreciate any response you or other might have. I apologize for what may seem like such silly and trivial questions!

Thanks -

Shelley

6. Mar 9, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Metal Part = Rim/Wheel
    Plastic Part = Hubcap.

Rust is on the metal...So to fix that you need paint or a replacement rim. The hole in the photo are just holes...No purpose. The lugs/lug nuts are behind the light grey plastic piece.

7. Mar 9, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    Shelley

Shelley New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Actually is a Matrix
    Thank you for your prompt reply! Very helpful ...

8. Mar 9, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    No worries- If you have any more questions...Let us know!!

Products Discussed in

To Top