Hi: I am new to this, so please bear with me...
I do not own a Tacoma, but rather a 2003 Matrix. I was surfing the web for information on how to paint the rusted "hubcaps" and came across your thread. My "wheels" look EXACTLY LIKE the picture you posted of your customer's, who wanted you to paint them black. I want to do the same and appreciated the responses to your post that explained how to do it.
However, I am very ignorant of some things and have not been able to find good answers, and wonder if you can clarify ...
- In the picture, you and the responders in the thread are calling the large, rusted circular part that looks like it is made of steel or some other metal the "hubcap." BUT, we also have plastic pop-ins "hubcaps" ...
- Do we really have two sets of "hubcaps" on each wheel? Or are there actually other different and correct names for these parts?
- The "hubcap" that looks like it is made of steel/metal has what look like lug nut holes, but are empty in your picture. Why do they not have lug nuts in them? How are they being held on?
- Is the only purpose of either of our "hubcaps" decorative, or do they serve another purpose?
- Are any of these parts (or any part that you can identify for me in the picture) what is called the "rim"??
- Can I find new steel/metal "hubcaps" to replace the rusted ones, and, if so, about how much do they cost? (And am I correct in assuming these would NOT be the same as the new "alloy rims" I see everywhere that cost so much???!!!)
If you can make sense of these questions, thank you, and I appreciate any response you or other might have. I apologize for what may seem like such silly and trivial questions!