LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Rusted rim........ Paint to new

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 05:34 AM   #1
phoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dennis
phoneguy44's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to phoneguy44
Rusted rim........ Paint to new

If anyone could help me I figured you guys could.

I wash cars on the side. Had a customer come in the other day asking me if I could paint her rims black so the ugly rust wouldnt show her hubcaps. Her exact words were, "I want to see pretty black when I look at my wheels."

What do I need fellas ? I'm no painter for sure but I'll tackle anything for some money. Just dont want to screw anything up.

Do I need to put any chemicals on it that eat rust ? Prime then paint ?
Make it easy on me, step by step instructions would be great ! - Thanks guys

Old 02-20-2011, 05:40 AM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
You need to clean that off. She is gunna need to leave the car with you for a day or two to give you enuf time to do it right.

Pull all four wheels. Clean them really well, sand down any scaled rust, clean them again. Then use a rust converting or sealing primer for a coat or two. Then paint with a good quality black paint.

Duplicolor makes a wheel paint that is supposed to have extra durability....Any of the normal spray paints will work too.

I'd recommend taping off the tire or sticking index cards between the rim and tire so you don't get a lot of overspray.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:40 AM   #3
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
hell it looks like a hub cap .....
if its steel just sand it prime it paint it..... pop hubcap back on.....
there is so rust reformer stuff you can use also...
g/l
Old 02-20-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
phoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dennis
phoneguy44's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to phoneguy44
Dang, I knew you were going to say the word "sanding."

Yes, it is just a hub cap.

I'll check into some rust reformer. I'm certainly looking for the easiest way to do this. I knew this was going to be a job, just trying to get my list up so I know what to charge her. Most of all, do it right.

1. Labor
2. Chemicals / Paint
Old 03-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
Shelley is on a distinguished road
Shelley's Tacoma Gallery
My wheels look just like your customer's ...

Hi: I am new to this, so please bear with me...

I do not own a Tacoma, but rather a 2003 Matrix. I was surfing the web for information on how to paint the rusted "hubcaps" and came across your thread. My "wheels" look EXACTLY LIKE the picture you posted of your customer's, who wanted you to paint them black. I want to do the same and appreciated the responses to your post that explained how to do it.

However, I am very ignorant of some things and have not been able to find good answers, and wonder if you can clarify ...
  • In the picture, you and the responders in the thread are calling the large, rusted circular part that looks like it is made of steel or some other metal the "hubcap." BUT, we also have plastic pop-ins "hubcaps" ...
  • Do we really have two sets of "hubcaps" on each wheel? Or are there actually other different and correct names for these parts?
  • The "hubcap" that looks like it is made of steel/metal has what look like lug nut holes, but are empty in your picture. Why do they not have lug nuts in them? How are they being held on?
  • Is the only purpose of either of our "hubcaps" decorative, or do they serve another purpose?
  • Are any of these parts (or any part that you can identify for me in the picture) what is called the "rim"??
  • Can I find new steel/metal "hubcaps" to replace the rusted ones, and, if so, about how much do they cost? (And am I correct in assuming these would NOT be the same as the new "alloy rims" I see everywhere that cost so much???!!!)
If you can make sense of these questions, thank you, and I appreciate any response you or other might have. I apologize for what may seem like such silly and trivial questions!

Thanks -

Shelley
Old 03-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
Hi: I am new to this, so please bear with me...

I do not own a Tacoma, but rather a 2003 Matrix. I was surfing the web for information on how to paint the rusted "hubcaps" and came across your thread. My "wheels" look EXACTLY LIKE the picture you posted of your customer's, who wanted you to paint them black. I want to do the same and appreciated the responses to your post that explained how to do it.

However, I am very ignorant of some things and have not been able to find good answers, and wonder if you can clarify ...
  • In the picture, you and the responders in the thread are calling the large, rusted circular part that looks like it is made of steel or some other metal the "hubcap." BUT, we also have plastic pop-ins "hubcaps" ...
  • Do we really have two sets of "hubcaps" on each wheel? Or are there actually other different and correct names for these parts?
  • The "hubcap" that looks like it is made of steel/metal has what look like lug nut holes, but are empty in your picture. Why do they not have lug nuts in them? How are they being held on?
  • Is the only purpose of either of our "hubcaps" decorative, or do they serve another purpose?
  • Are any of these parts (or any part that you can identify for me in the picture) what is called the "rim"??
  • Can I find new steel/metal "hubcaps" to replace the rusted ones, and, if so, about how much do they cost? (And am I correct in assuming these would NOT be the same as the new "alloy rims" I see everywhere that cost so much???!!!)
If you can make sense of these questions, thank you, and I appreciate any response you or other might have. I apologize for what may seem like such silly and trivial questions!

Thanks -

Shelley
Metal Part = Rim/Wheel
Plastic Part = Hubcap.

Rust is on the metal...So to fix that you need paint or a replacement rim. The hole in the photo are just holes...No purpose. The lugs/lug nuts are behind the light grey plastic piece.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
Shelley is on a distinguished road
Shelley's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you!

Thank you for your prompt reply! Very helpful ...