Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Damn Toyota TPMS!

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Damn Toyota TPMS!

Why is it I can buy this ENTIRE TPMS kit for damn near what it costs to buy 1 stinkin' sensor from toyota?!?!

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...toring+Systems

It'll cost me $114 for a new sensor, $80+/hr for them to reprogram the system, unmounting/mounting/balancing, plus tax. I could buy that whole system above, rip out the stock one, and install the new one myself for less.

/rant
Old 09-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Serious man i feel your pain they need to lower the price on them bad boys are other manufactures that much?
Old 09-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
Serious man i feel your pain they need to lower the price on them bad boys are other manufactures that much?
Yeah. I mean, I can live without it, and I'll probably end up doing something to get rid of the damn blinking light. But it would be nice to have something notify me when the tires are over/under inflated so maybe I get more miles out of them (considering I just spent $200 more for tires this time around and they were smaller!), and maybe better gas mileage too. I'm too lazy or don't have time to pop all the caps off and check pressure once a week or whatever. One tire was always dropping to 25 PSI and didn't look any different than the ones at 40 in my eyes. So short of a TPMS or manually checking each tire I never know until they're low enough to affect handling or wear wrong.

And if I were to fix the system it's better to go aftermarket! Not only is it cheaper, but you get more functionality and reduced maintenance costs! That Orange system displays individual tire pressures AND temp so you know exactly which one is low instead of guessing, and sensors are only $31 to replace. hmmmmm.... A sensor that reads both pressure AND temperature is 1/4 the price of the Toyota ones?!? Guess spending nearly $30k on the truck wasn't enough.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah i did the black tape mod when i didnt have the sensors in lol.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Yeah i did the black tape mod when i didnt have the sensors in lol.
lol I was thinking about that. I may just read up some more to figure out what wires I can cut to disable it completely. lol
Old 09-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Founder Socaltacomas.com

You have an 06 i believe we can cut the wire to cancel the tpms.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You have an 06 i believe we can cut the wire to cancel the tpms.
Yes we can! And The 05's don't have to cut anything for no TPMS! Agree the whole sensor thing is a PITA PT!! TN had a pretty easy mod posted, I printed it out & was gonna do it for swapping out winter tires. Never got around to it...........
Old 09-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
Founder Socaltacomas.com

Yup tn is where i saw it.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
I cracked open the gauge cluster and ripped that LED out. Not the safest thing to do, but it got rid of the light.

I may buy that system from TireRack if I get some new wheels though. It looks cool at least.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
MotoNerd
Caddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud of

Caddmannq's Tacoma Gallery
Is it not possible to re-program the TPS system yourself without spending $1000 for diagnostics equipment?
Old 09-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #11
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddmannq View Post
Is it not possible to re-program the TPS system yourself without spending $1000 for diagnostics equipment?
Nope! Only Toyota garages can reprogram the ECU with new serial number(s) off the sensor(s). And even if I could reprogram it, the damn sensors are damn near as expensive as a whole new complete aftermarket kit!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #12
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
Yes we can! And The 05's don't have to cut anything for no TPMS! Agree the whole sensor thing is a PITA PT!! TN had a pretty easy mod posted, I printed it out & was gonna do it for swapping out winter tires. Never got around to it...........
Are you talking about the one where you dump all the sensors into a sealed section of PVC pipe with a valve stem on the end, pressurize it, and leave it in the truck somewhere? If so, that ain't gonna work for me since one of them is dead now. Unless I try taking it off the wheel and fix it myself. Maybe it got clogged or something....
Old 09-10-2008, 07:34 AM   #13
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Are you talking about the one where you dump all the sensors into a sealed section of PVC pipe with a valve stem on the end, pressurize it, and leave it in the truck somewhere? If so, that ain't gonna work for me since one of them is dead now. Unless I try taking it off the wheel and fix it myself. Maybe it got clogged or something....
No not that one, it was the one where you cut the wire in the harness behind the glove box, put a male connector, wait, I went and search over at TN, noticed the pics are gone! I do have a print out of the mod and bought the parts (less than $5), no pipe bomb for me. However, I never did the mod. Will look for the print out I know I have it, when I find it do I scan the thing?

Yes corrosion since we live in a beautiful winter salty wonderland it is just another thang to watch out for.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #14
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
No not that one, it was the one where you cut the wire in the harness behind the glove box, put a male connector, wait, I went and search over at TN, noticed the pics are gone! I do have a print out of the mod and bought the parts (less than $5), no pipe bomb for me. However, I never did the mod. Will look for the print out I know I have it, when I find it do I scan the thing?

Yes corrosion since we live in a beautiful winter salty wonderland it is just another thang to watch out for.
cool. I think I can figure out what wires they're talking about from a ttora post I found. Just need to take a look this weekend maybe.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #15
Founder Socaltacomas.com

If you do get it going this weekend PT post some pics make a write up and add it to your list of mods. would be helpful since the tn post is gone.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #16
Devout Atheist

Quote:
If you do get it going this weekend PT post some pics make a write up and add it to your list of mods. would be helpful since the tn post is gone.
yeah, tell me about it! Hopefully it won't take too much trial and error to get the right wire....
Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #17
Founder Socaltacomas.com

Just what ever you do dont cut the blue wire Kabooooom lol.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #18
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquinsuOcha View Post
I cracked open the gauge cluster and ripped that LED out. Not the safest thing to do, but it got rid of the light.

I may buy that system from TireRack if I get some new wheels though. It looks cool at least.

Ill be doing this shortly. I was quoted around 350 bucks for the two front sensors to be replaced and the system reprogrammed. All this because the redneck tire shop i had install the tires evidently damaged the sensors.

I thought of filing against the owner in small claims but my time is worth more then what the repayment will be. I am very disappointed to say the least.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #19
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

deadbolt's Tacoma Gallery
Im planning on taking the tires off and getting the rims powdercoated soon. When i put the tires back on i will not need new sensors right?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #20
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbolt View Post
Im planning on taking the tires off and getting the rims powdercoated soon. When i put the tires back on i will not need new sensors right?
no...u'd only need new sensors if u changed rims to a different type than the ones u have now

Products Discussed in this Thread