Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Thoughts on new tire setup?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
tam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: tam
tam's Tacoma Gallery
Thoughts on new tire setup?

My tires are balding and need to be replaced asap. I was thinking about getting the Kumho Road Ventures SAT KL61 in 285/75/16. I will be using the stock TRD 16" rims from the 2nd gen tacos.

(before the lift)

I've thought about getting the Goodyear Wrangler Dura's but it's more aggressive than I need. I don't get off road often if at all. I think the KL61 is a good combo for on-road/off-road without sacrificing much for either. I don't want a plain highway tire on a lifted truck.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT

(images from tirerack.com)

As far as rubbing I don't think I'll have any? I have ICON extended travel C/O, TC UCAs, and SpiderTrax 1.25 spacers. Anyone know what I should expect on MPG loss? Current tire setup is 265/70/16 (whatever brand stockers were on 05's.) Is there anything else I should be worried about with 285s on my truck?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
are you v6 or 4cyl?
Old 02-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
tam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tam's Tacoma Gallery
4-banger
Old 02-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

so do you have 4.56 gears? if you're on 4.10's I would think twice about going up to 285's without regearing first.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #5

tam's Tacoma Gallery
Stock gearing. I used this calculator tire size calculator and thought that since it was in the green I was all good. I don't know if I can afford to regear right now, it usually costs about 500 right? Maybe I should just stick with the 265, seems like 275 isn't a very common size.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Personally those tires are wayyy to conservative for my taste. If price is a concern I'd at bare minimum put some General grabbers on in a smaller size like 265/75/16. That will get you a semi-aggressive tire for just a little more than those Kumhos. Plus they've got great reviews and they aren't made in Tawaii, Korea, or Thailand.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #7

tam's Tacoma Gallery
Would I actually benefit from the "E" load rating vs. the "C" load rating? Most I haul is if someone's moving (i.e. refigerator, washer, dryer, sofa) and that doesn't happen too often. The rest of the time I just fish in my free time. A couple rods, buckets, tackle box don't weight much.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Valley Viking is on a distinguished road

Valley Viking's Tacoma Gallery
"E" rated tires will cost more, hurt your fuel economy, ride stiffer and have a load rating that far exceeds the load capacity of your truck. I don't see any benefit to that! "C" rated tires will be more than adequate. You would probably be fine with P rated unless you travel roads with some gnarly gravel on them. You do get a tougher tire carcass with the higher rating.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Would I actually benefit from the "E" load rating

Not unless you have a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel quad cab pulling a double axle trailer....
Old 02-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
braaap

With stock gearing (could be 4.10 or 4.56) and that 4 cyl you will be hurting power wise. I would definitely try to regear to 4.88 before going to 33's, otherwise stick with 265's.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:44 AM   #11

tam's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll stick to 265 until I can regear. Might go with 265/75/16 to get a little extra width on the stance and make a personal deciscion on the Kumhos or say screw it and go with the GYW Duratracs. Thank you all again.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:41 AM   #12
Malamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dan
Malamute's Tacoma Gallery
I had Kumho RV's on on 1 ton Super Duty that was my old tow rig. They were a good all around tire but I don't know if they would have been good for much off road. I never too it on anything other than dirt roads. They did great in snow and mud but they were also on a big, heavy truck so I can't say how they would do on a Taco.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #13
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
Take a look at the Hankook Dynapro ATM's. I'm running 265/75r16's in the P rated version. They're only 6 lbs each heavier than the 245's Dunlops that come on the stock base models. They have a nice aggressive tread. Also I've had mine offroad three times in the last few months and I have hauled a fridge in the truck. Great tire. Got them from DiscountTireDirect.com.