Notices

BFG All-Terrain or Kelly Safari ?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
campintruck is on a distinguished road
Name: Frank
campintruck's Tacoma Gallery
BFG All-Terrain or Kelly Safari ?

It's finally time to get some new tires. When I bought my 2001 DC a couple of years ago, it had some brand new Laramie "Performer SUV" tires on it. It's been a good tire with over 61,000 miles. Now that I've worn them out, I want a more aggressive tire. I drive between 60-80 hwy miles four days a week and off road a few times a month. I do alot of camping and paddling , so in need a tire that gets me in and out. I'm trying to decide between 2 tires ( 265/75R/16): BFG All-Terrain T/A KO or Kelly Safari TSR. I like the looks of the Kelly, but I like the BFG for it's long tread life. I will be saving $182.00 by going with the Kelly. This way I can use the savings to buy part of my Bilstein 5100's. The big question to y'all is, which tire to get? Thanks, Frank
Old 02-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
jigger1976 is on a distinguished road
jigger1976's Tacoma Gallery
BFG hands down
Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
no experience with the kelly's but bfg's were very good to me on my last truck. leaning towards getting them for my taco when i need tires
Old 02-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Neither. Go with Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. I just replaced a set of BFG KOs and had constant balancing issues and they were puncured twice in the sidewall and the tread by TINY rocks. I don't mud or rock climb these were just tiny rocks on the highway. That being said I went with a more agressive tire that has a better reinforced sidewall which was the Duratracs. I've had them for about 2-3 weeks now and they are AMAZING.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #5
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on Goodyear Duratracs.

Duratracs = for awesome traction while off-roading
Michelin LTX MS 2 = highway tire and good MPG
Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
snorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
snorola's Tacoma Gallery
duratracs and kelly's are basically identical tires

Kelly's are cheaper though and don't have severe snow rating