Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

99 Tacoma Lug Nut Problems

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
E-Fabber
Anthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
Anthony250's Tacoma Gallery
99 Tacoma Lug Nut Problems

Well my tacoma has right now the Trd Sport Rims off a newer truck, and i just bought some American Racing Baja Rims Same lug pattern and the lug nuts off the trd rims obviously dont fit. The problem is i need a lug nut that has the shank really slim to fit in the holes. Or do i need longer studs ?
Thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
The trd sport rims use shank and washer style lugs nuts. You need conical seat lug nuts for your new rims. Wheelers offroad has a great selection. You can also get some simple ones at your local auto parts store...

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomablackalloys.htm
Old 02-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
E-Fabber
Anthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks but i found out i bought Hubcentric wheels , so they are going up for sale for what i got them for and finding a similar set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
The trd sport rims use shank and washer style lugs nuts. You need conical seat lug nuts for your new rims. Wheelers offroad has a great selection. You can also get some simple ones at your local auto parts store...

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomablackalloys.htm
Old 02-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony250 View Post
Thanks but i found out i bought Hubcentric wheels , so they are going up for sale for what i got them for and finding a similar set.
What's wrong with hubcentric wheels?

Unless they are hub-centric for a chevy (same bolt pattern as tacomas but smaller hub bore).

If that's the case, a shop can bore them out for you for cheap...
Old 02-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
E-Fabber

Quote:
What's wrong with hubcentric wheels?

Unless they are hub-centric for a chevy (same bolt pattern as tacomas but smaller hub bore).

If that's the case, a shop can bore them out for you for cheap...

can i make them work? I would love to becuase i got the wheels for 150 with tires low tread but still something, they have a 3 inch center bore and still looks like the studs would be short even with the bored out.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
can i make them work? I would love to becuase i got the wheels for 150 with tires low tread but still something, they have a 3 inch center bore and still looks like the studs would be short

Yep a shop will be able to bore them out....Tacoma's hub bore is 106mm.

Tacomas have really short wheel studs to begin with. You just need extended thread (E/T) lug nuts. They have some on the page I posted above.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
E-Fabber

Quote:
Yep a shop will be able to bore them out....Tacoma's hub bore is 106mm.

Tacomas have really short wheel studs to begin with. You just need extended thread (E/T) lug nuts. They have some on the page I posted above.

Hmm i want to but switching studs would be the only pain , i just got back from looking at some same exact rims with goodyear td tires with good tread off a toyota landcruiser for $380 and thinking about it , cuase i can sell the ones i got and get the ones off the land cruiser and they mount up no problem i think

and how much for a bore all four wheels ? you estimate
Old 02-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmm i want to but switching studs would be the only pain , i just got back from looking at some same exact rims with goodyear td tires with good tread off a toyota landcruiser for $380 and thinking about it , cuase i can sell the ones i got and get the ones off the land cruiser and they mount up no problem i think

Won't need to replace the studs. The lugs nuts are designed to grab more thread with their threaded shank.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
E-Fabber

Quote:
Won't need to replace the studs. The lugs nuts are designed to grab more thread with their threaded shank.

But i went to pepboys today and some other autoshop to look for long skinny shank lugs and couldnt find any, cause the holes for the studs seem to small for lugs, like they would only accept acorn style and hen you would have to use longer studs, so how much you think to bore all four wheels ? actually can i do this myself i got a router. it already has a line marked at 106 mm
Old 02-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
But i went to pepboys today and some other autoshop to look for long skinny shank lugs and couldnt find any, cause the holes for the studs seem to small for lugs, like they would only accept acorn style and hen you would have to use longer studs, so how much you think to bore all four wheels ? actually can i do this myself i got a router. it already has a line marked at 106 mm
Not sure how much to bore them out exactly...call around to get some quotes...certainly something you could do yourself.

I wouldn't think you would find any E/T lugs at a store. I've only ever seen them online.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
E-Fabber

Quote:
Not sure how much to bore them out exactly...call around to get some quotes...certainly something you could do yourself.

I wouldn't think you would find any E/T lugs at a store. I've only ever seen them online.

thanks so much Keith , im gonna call around , id hate to resell the wheels and get another set, but its also easier with a lug centric set. do you know what size E/T lugs to get for my tacoma?
Old 02-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thanks so much Keith , im gonna call around , id hate to resell the wheels and get another set, but its also easier with a lug centric set. do you know what size E/T lugs to get for my tacoma?
The regular length ones on the Wheelers site will be fine. That's what I'm running.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
E-Fabber

Quote:
The regular length ones on the Wheelers site will be fine. That's what I'm running.
So boring the hub and then getting those lugs , would have enough clearance to grab on the lugs? Hmm not sure still thinking about just selling and getting the wheels i saw with tires today. Already started getting calls on the wheels i just posted up for 200 to see what offers i get.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #14
E-Fabber

Quote:

Do all aftermarket wheels that are lug centric , have holes for stock lugs? , the ones on the landcruiser i saw today looked like they used oem lugs
Old 02-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #15
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do all aftermarket wheels that are lug centric , have holes for stock lugs? , the ones on the landcruiser i saw today looked like they used oem lugs
The holes shouldn't be any different. It's just with non-hubcentric wheels you should use shanked lug nuts so that the wheel is centered on the hub.