1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH: Gouged Rims

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by netmagi, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Feb 28, 2011 at 6:49 AM
    netmagi

netmagi [OP] Membrrrrrr

Member:
    Slatington, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR
    Had a set of Hankook RF10's mounted this morning at NTB (Whitehall, PA).

I was there first thing in the morning and there was only one tech in. He was younger and I dunno what his problem was, but I watched the whole process through the shop window and he was cursing and throwing tools around the whole time. He was rough doing some of the work . . but I watched as carefully as I could and didn't immediately see anything I felt I needed to complain about either.

Anyway. .

He brings the keys in when he's done, and I asked him if everything went alright. . he says, "well the right rear wheel was a little jumpy on the machine, it might be a little bent". I didn't say anything back, but I can't imagine it was bent stock, and I've never hit anything. .

I go outside and it's pouring, so I drive to a gas station so I can get a look at everything under cover. All 4 rims have dings where he pulled the weights, and 2 of em have a gouge that runs halfway around the rim.

I know. . I know pics, but it's still pouring.

I went directly back to the shop and spoke with the manager. He said bring it back and he'd pull the rims and send them out for re-finish. I asked if they would match the other 2, and of course he said yes, but I don't buy it. He gave me his card and wrote about re-finishing the rims on the back.

I'm livid. . My truck is a year and half old, but it's mint inside and out. I take exceptional care of it. There's also nicks all around where the lugs are, from, I'm guessing, him just slamming the impact wrench in there.

WTF. . why can nobody just do their goddam job properly. . .

On a side note. . I have no idea what points they lifted the truck from in the front (couldn't see), but they lifted it from the axle tubes in the back. I thought this was bad? The front went up and down twice while they were situating it so I guess they had to shift stuff around. I feel like when I look underneath in the front I'll find something else that's going to piss me off.

I'm wayyyyyy too pissed to think reasonable about this right now. What would you guys do, and has anyone else experienced this?

-Rich

2. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:07 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'm curious to see how they refinish gouges... You did all that you can do, let them refinish them and see what they look like. I'd have them get rid of the weights on the outside of the rim, they just look like crap.

I'm guessing when the rims come back you're going to have a fight on your hands cause it's just going to be a band aid. I'm guessing they're getting you a rental car while you're truck is having the rims refinished?

3. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:11 AM
    netmagi

netmagi [OP] Membrrrrrr

Member:
    Slatington, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR
    I asked for tape weights, so there's no weights on the outside now, but there was the weights on the outside face of the rims as stock when I brought it in.

I can't imagine they're getting me a rental, and I'm pretty darn sure I won't be happy with the re-finish.

I also paid a premium for lifetime balance/rotate and I clearly won't be using that either at this shop.

Right now I feel like I want to ask for a refund and settle on some sort of compensation for the rims. Thoughts?

-Rich

4. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    Hondarider08

Hondarider08 "That's what she said..."

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Logan, UT (Originally Pocatello, ID)
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD
    Leveling kit, K&N drop in, and a Loud Ass Stereo :)
    Dude, take pictures. Try and find some "before" and "after" pictures. Then that way if they try and deny that they did it you have direct proof. Thats B.S man. I would be pissed too. Don't leave them alone until they make it 100% fixed. If they don't get it exactly how it was before, then make some dust. You paid way too much for tires (and your truck) to have that.

Keep us posted on what happens.

5. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:16 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    They should get you a rental... the refinish (if it's a professional refinish) most likely won't be done in a day. They'd have to dismount the wheels, remove the tires, do whatever is required to fix the metal, apply a clearcoat, bake it and then mount the tires, balance and install the wheels. Not sure what type of place you went to but they may not even do that in house in which case it'll definitely be more than a day's work.

6. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:31 AM
    douggytundra

douggytundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    orlando
    Vehicle:
    09 D-CAB 4x4 White Sport Taco
    Holly shit your experience sounds like mine. I took my wheels to have the tires broken down for powder coating. The tech was slinging the rims around like they were a rag doll and slamming everything around. He started rolling the wheels back to me and I started to put them in the truck. Next the first tire came over when something fell out of it. I when't and picked it up off of the ground and it was about half of the inner bead that was ripped off by the retard tire guy.

I looked up at him and he said and I quote "I didn't do it". So I walked to the front and grabbed the manager and he said he would order a new one.

Now 2 weeks later I go to get the newly powder coated wheels and go back for my tire. I told them that I didn't want a repeat of last time where I was told they can't guarantee anything and I was told I was lucky they replaced the tire which was a year old revo. To make a long story short with many minutes of screaming and hollering and almost an ass whooping or 2 I left with my stuff and drove to discount tire. Happily ever after.

7. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:58 AM
    N.GA Taco x3

N.GA Taco x3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 Pre DC Sport- 02 Pre DC OR- 12 DCSB 4x4
    This happens to me almost every time i get new tires or have tires mounted on different rims. On my 300 mile 2011, went with 265-70-17 and sold the Dunlops 265-65's back to the dealer , the tech scratched-up, gouged my brand new Sport wheels. They said it was where they pulled off the factory weights, BS, they just weren't being careful. I've since put on a set of FJ wheels and have thankfully found a tire mounter that is very careful, did a fine job this time. But the damage is done to the Sport wheels i will probably re-use one day. Most people don't even notice the damage these installers do, but i sure do and this is about the 6th time they've scratched wheels on various vehicles in the past 5 years or so since I've been keeping count. Face it, most of these morons could care less about doing a job properly , it's just a job to them, no matter if they screw up wheels, they always deny it.

8. Feb 28, 2011 at 8:04 AM
    douggytundra

douggytundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    orlando
    Vehicle:
    09 D-CAB 4x4 White Sport Taco
  9. Feb 28, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    netmagi

netmagi [OP] Membrrrrrr

Member:
    Slatington, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR
    I wrote down the details and order everything happened in and I'm going to go back and talk to the manager again. . .

I have an appt. tomorrow at Toyota to have my rear TSB done, and I'm going to try and have them take a look at it and give me an estimate for repair/replacement as well as inspect the undercarriage etc. and see if everything looks ok.

I'm thinking I'll wait till that happens before I do anything else.

For the hell of it, here's the full details I typed up so I wouldn't forget anything:

Tech was screaming and slamming everything down as he prepped to work on vehicle after pulling into the lift ramps.

When lifting vehicle front, vehicle appeared to slip in the front and went down/backup up again.

When removing wheels, tech slammed impact wrench into each hole and then slammed each handful of lugs down onto the lift.

Rear wheels were sticking to the drums. Tech crossed the garage several times back and forth cursing and screaming and beat on both sides with a hemmer repeatedly. Each side was permitted to fall off from ~5 feet off the ground, with one side making a loud metal on metal slamming sound as part of the rim collided with something on the floor as it fell off. It didn't bounce at all. The other side bounced around, but didn't make any metal on metal contact.

During the time when the tech was removing the old tires and weights, which I couldn't see as my view as obscured by a white jeep, there was several more occasions of banging/cursing and slamming. Worth noting, the cursing/yelling/slamming of everything stopped when a 2nd and 3rd tech arrived, but there was still excessive banging and fighting with each wheel as they were unmounted/mounted/balanced.

Tech stated one of the rear wheels seemed bent, and at the time I didn't even connect the two, but it was one of the rear wheels that hit something metal when it fell from the rear. (and didn't bounce)

After leaving shop (pouring rain), inspected truck under the roof outside at wawa, and 2 rims have gouges that follow half the way around, clearly made mechanically (maybe the machine forced the weight around?), and all (4) rims have nicks gouges in various places. Rims we're previously mint aside from a light scuff (barely noticeable) on one spoke of the passenger side front.

Went back to NTB 10-15 mins after initially leaving and spoke with the manager. He viewed the circular gouges on the rims and stated NTB would have (2) of the rims re-finished at their expense and suggested I bring it back after winter to have this done. He stated they would send it out to have this done.

He wrote the following on the back of a business card and handed it to me "NTB. Will ReFinish 2 wheels For Free".

10. Feb 28, 2011 at 9:40 AM
    netmagi

netmagi [OP] Membrrrrrr

Member:
    Slatington, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR
  11. Feb 28, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    Jones

Jones Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 SSM Prerunner TRD-OFFROAD
    Front: 5100@1.75 with SR5 coils; Rear: 5100 and 1.5 Toytec aal; Tires: Hankook 265/75R16 RF08 ATM; Wheels: powdercoated off-road wheels with FJ TRD center caps
    I will bet that the installer did not remove the weights before dismounting the tire, these scratches around the edge look like the wheel weight caught the bar or the duck head when rotating the wheel to pull the tire off on the machine.

The damage only looks only to be the paint on the wheel. I had some pretty bad damage on the middle part of the wheel and after sandblasting and then powdercoating the wheels, you could not tell the difference.

I have heard that NTB has a pretty good wheel refinishing program, but never used them.

12. Feb 28, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    joerussell610

joerussell610 When all else fails read the directions

Member:
    First Name:
    Him
    Making myself at home in your house
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC Sport Edition 4x4
    K&N, fog light mod, remote rear halogen fogs mounted under rear bumper, TRD skid plate, Flux Capacitor, Mr. Fusion upgrade soon
    for what its worth the wheel guy i have come to my dealership is great. Usually a tire shop keeps a good rim repair guy around. Ask if he does any of the dealerships in town where you live. Then call around. If its worse than before than keep bitching until it is resolved. Good luck

13. Feb 28, 2011 at 10:21 AM
    netmagi

netmagi [OP] Membrrrrrr

Member:
    Slatington, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR
    Yeh that's what I thought even before I wiped em down and took the pics. . and the manager said, "nah it's too high on the rim". He looked closer though and didn't say anything else. . cuz I think he realized it to.

-Rich

14. Feb 28, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Hey OP, I'm assuming you mean Whitehall PA outside of PGH? Anyway if so, I have always heard bad things about NTB. Infact any chain store like that I'm not a fan of. But if you are talking about PGH, then any tire needs you have, check out Ronnie's tire on 51. They do good work and also if you have a wife or gf, they don't fuck over women because she might not know what they are talking about. Great guys there.

Good luck with all that though. I hope it all turns out ok. I really hate shit like that.

15. Feb 28, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    Wow, that sucks man. Hope everything works out for you!

Dealership was VERY careful with my powder coated wheels. I didn't even ask them to be and they took their time with it and wheels were on the tires without a single nick. *Knock on wood*

16. Feb 28, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    netmagi

netmagi [OP] Membrrrrrr

Member:
    Slatington, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR
    Actually Whitehall near Allentown, but thanks ;)

17. Feb 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Gotcha I kind of figured you didn't mean near PGH, I had no idea where Jim Thorpe PA was untill I Googled it!:cool:

18. Feb 28, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    netmagi

netmagi [OP] Membrrrrrr

Member:
    Slatington, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR
    At least, I think, the truck *does* look nice with the new tires and 5100's on the front :)

Goes in for TSB springs tomorrow. Looks to sit about level now.

Tires are Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10's 265 75 16's

[​IMG]

19. Mar 1, 2011 at 6:09 AM
    netmagi

netmagi [OP] Membrrrrrr

Member:
    Slatington, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR
    Well, it's currently at Toyota for the TSB springs in the rear and I asked them to inspect the studs, lug nuts, and rims and re-balance each rim and check to ensure none are bent. I also asked them to put together an estimate for repair/replacement of the rims, and check the undercarriage and make sure it's ok.

-Rich

20. Mar 1, 2011 at 6:12 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    Your truck looks awesome w/ the new setup.
    Sorry to hear what happened & hope it gets fixed to your satisfaction.
    I gouged my alloy rims on the passenger side this summer on a big rock, I was bummed. To think someone did that & you paid for it would make me furious. G/L

Products Discussed in

To Top