Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Correct Rotation of non directional tires

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
Correct Rotation of non directional tires

I am not sure exactly how to rotate tires, i search and found nothing. i have heard several different ways from friends at work but does anyone know the correct method? I have been just looking at the tread depth and just switching from left to right (front and back) my front tires seem to be holding up better and i think i am going to get them rotated in the back as the tires in rear are obviously getting more wear.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
A straight front-rear swap works best. If you want to include the spare in the rotation, follow the service manual:
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/file...a/04000110.pdf (page 2)
Old 03-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Yes if you are talking about Asymmetrical tires than front to back is how you rotate them.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:04 AM   #5
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
For non-directional tires, this is what I do. The tires that are on the front go to the back and stay on the same side. The tires on the back I cross sides and put them on the front. Just like anything else, there are different schools of thought on this, I've done this a long time and my tires seem to last without any funny wear patterns.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^The reason you can cross the rear tires without ill effect on this truck is the solid axle, which means 0 camber and 0 toe.

Most of the irregular wear comes from camber, toe-in/out, etc. which occur exclusively in the front tires in our trucks.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Right, I was just saying this works for me. Tire rack actually shows 3 different methods for rotating non-directional tires where all the tires are the same size. What I'm actually doing is recommended for front wheel drive vehicles but I don't really care. Crossing 2 tires at a time will eventually run the tires at every position on the truck.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
Discount Tire Company
Archangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Matt
Archangel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_TACO View Post
Right, I was just saying this works for me. Tire rack actually shows 3 different methods for rotating non-directional tires where all the tires are the same size. What I'm actually doing is recommended for front wheel drive vehicles but I don't really care. Crossing 2 tires at a time will eventually run the tires at every position on the truck.
x2. That's the way I rotate everything I own and have owned.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
Sport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Sport11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_TACO View Post
x3. that's the way i have always done it too, except if I had directional tires.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
Sport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Sport11's Tacoma Gallery
I had a set of factory goodyear wranglers on a '97 taco that lasted for 72k miles by crossing two tires every rotation. Of course they were bald when i took them off.