Notices

Thoughts on this black/chrome rim?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
TheRiddleOfSteel is on a distinguished road
TheRiddleOfSteel's Tacoma Gallery
Thoughts on this black/chrome rim?

Truck is black-sand.

The all black isnt for me, I only like those for the charcoal gray or midnight blue trucks, so I wanted a black w/ chrome accents or vice versa.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...x=96&grid=true

If you know of anything along these lines that I should check out, please let me know.

Im also going to try to put the 285/65/18's on and do some cutting underneath, Id rather not do a lift but might do a 1.5 rough country or something if I have to.

thx
Old 03-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddleOfSteel View Post
Truck is black-sand.

The all black isnt for me, I only like those for the charcoal gray or midnight blue trucks, so I wanted a black w/ chrome accents or vice versa.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...x=96&grid=true

If you know of anything along these lines that I should check out, please let me know.

Im also going to try to put the 285/65/18's on and do some cutting underneath, Id rather not do a lift but might do a 1.5 rough country or something if I have to.

thx
If you plan on running 285/65/18's, first you need a 3" lift. Then you need wheels with less backspacing than the ones you posted.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
Im not sure whats up after the thread

BFG TA KO 285/65/18 on Chrome XD Monster with 3" Lift

looks like he had only minor rub with a 18mm offset, so Im thinking with 12mm Id have less.

I called ultra wheel and they recommended the 12mm offset, but they have a 0 offset and I wonder if that would prevent any rubbing...
Old 03-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Im not sure whats up after the thread

BFG TA KO 285/65/18 on Chrome XD Monster with 3" Lift

looks like he had only minor rub with a 18mm offset, so Im thinking with 12mm Id have less.

I called ultra wheel and they recommended the 12mm offset, but they have a 0 offset and I wonder if that would prevent any rubbing...

-12mm (negative 12) would be best for a 9" wide rim.

You'll find that 99% of people still had to trim a bunch of fender well plastic to fit 285/65/18's, even with a 3" lift and wheels with 4.5" backspacing.

There's always the exception, such as the thread you posted above. I would be willing to bet those tires rub significantly when there is any suspension flex at all. Note how he also had to glue his fenders with gorilla glue to keep them from rubbing...and one of them broke loose after it made contact with the tire. That doesn't qualify as "minor rub" to me.

If you want a no-rub setup on stock suspension, loo for 285/60/18's. They are 32's and several folks on here have them with no issues. You coud also go with 265/65/18, which is what I have.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
was just at discount looking at the 285/65 and 285/60

I guess the 60's arent that much smaller and if they avoid all the hassle (and having to spend $ on a lift) they are the way to go
Old 03-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Ehhh cheap wheels. I say no.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
^ got any similar/better alternatives to check out?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #8
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
The only reason I have 285/65/18 on mine is because I found the tires and wheels used so I couldn't be picky. When I wear these out I will switch to 285/60. Less rubbing, less power loss, better gas mileage. I just did the last bit of trimming on mine and they currently do not rub. Had to cut a good bit of the plastic in the front of the fender well, cut a corner off the fender flare, and trimmed pieces out of the mud flaps so they wouldn't rub. I could have removed the flaps, but wanted to keep the rocks off the truck.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #9
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
No bueno. That looks ugly. Get some flat matte black wheels.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
I havent seen any all black, or mostly black, wheels that I would like on a black truck, so im pretty much looking for black with chrome accents or vice versa.....im just surprised there arent as many choices out there as I would guess
Old 03-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I havent seen any all black, or mostly black, wheels that I would like on a black truck, so im pretty much looking for black with chrome accents or vice versa.....im just surprised there arent as many choices out there as I would guess
How about these? Dick Cepek DC-2's
Old 03-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
that eagle 63 looks pretty sharp, I hadnt seen that brand on any of the tirerack.com/etc sites, now I need to try to find a pic of them on a tacoma (mine's black)
Old 03-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #14
mxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
mxnborder's Tacoma Gallery
my truck's not black but the color scheme on mine is close to that eagle 63 but mine are 187 blacks

Old 03-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxnborder View Post
my truck's not black but the color scheme on mine is close to that eagle 63 but mine are 187 blacks

Soooooooooo sickkkkk
Old 03-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #16
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
that eagle 63 looks pretty sharp, I hadnt seen that brand on any of the tirerack.com/etc sites, now I need to try to find a pic of them on a tacoma (mine's black)
Post a request in the photoshop thread. someone can put them on your truck...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pho...ight=photoshop
Old 03-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #17
I saw the XD spies on a FJ and they looked pretty good

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...d=true&sw=1366
Old 03-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #18
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I wanted some of these when I was looking for 17" wheels, but they only came in 17x8 and I really wanted 17x9. They look really good on a Tacoma. There is a black one close to where I work. They are Eagle Alloys 140.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #19
now im prob gonna go with XD spies