Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Need new tires for my 08 TRD Sport

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
jmesser1980 is on a distinguished road
jmesser1980's Tacoma Gallery
Need new tires for my 08 TRD Sport

I am finding it difficult to find the tires I want for my 08 tacoma TRD Sport. I have looked at older posts and it seems that BF Goodrich AT/Ko are the way to go. The only problem is I am having a hard time finding them in my size 265/65/17, I was thinking of going to 265/70/17 but I have been told I shouldn't as it will screw up other things on the truck. That and they are a LT tire not p-metric which doesn't make a $hits bit of difference to me as I have a descent sized boat I haul around in the summer and would like something that is good in the snow as well being as I live in New Hampshire. I know they dont make p-metric AT/KO but it seems that a 10ply LT tire may be a bit extreme. I don't do much off roading but occasionaly will go out in the woods and tool around

Any sugstions would be most helpfull.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
O.F.
bb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: JFK Center, Fort Bragg, NC
bb609's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmesser1980 View Post
I am finding it difficult to find the tires I want for my 08 tacoma TRD Sport. I have looked at older posts and it seems that BF Goodrich AT/Ko are the way to go. The only problem is I am having a hard time finding them in my size 265/65/17, I was thinking of going to 265/70/17 but I have been told I shouldn't as it will screw up other things on the truck. That and they are a LT tire not p-metric which doesn't make a $hits bit of difference to me as I have a descent sized boat I haul around in the summer and would like something that is good in the snow as well being as I live in New Hampshire. I know they dont make p-metric AT/KO but it seems that a 10ply LT tire may be a bit extreme. I don't do much off roading but occasionaly will go out in the woods and tool around

Any sugstions would be most helpfull.
Bridgestone AT Revo 2. I like the Revo's only because they are a little quieter on the road than BFG's but are equal or slightly better otherwise....and cheaper.....but that's my opinion...Go with the C or SL rating.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
Check BJ's for the BFG TA you are looking for. I got a set in Tilton a few months ago.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
bigef12 has a spectacular aura aboutbigef12 has a spectacular aura aboutbigef12 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Eric
bigef12's Tacoma Gallery
What does the 265/70r17 screw up?
Old 03-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigef12 View Post
What does the 265/70r17 screw up?
From what I've heard, it doesn't screw up anything other than your ODO and speedometer.

OP, check out the Cooper Discoverer ATR. They're awesome in the snow! I've got 'em in 265/65R17.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
toyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Grunt
Name: Eric
toyohtadude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
From what I've heard, it doesn't screw up anything other than your ODO and speedometer.

OP, check out the Cooper Discoverer ATR. They're awesome in the snow! I've got 'em in 265/65R17.
Thanks for this tip... just like you, we've had far too fricken' much of it in New England this year! I'm looking for tires for snow traction as well. I don't put hardly any miles on the truck in the summer since I ride rain or shine. The stock tires have a ton of tread left but they are rotting and cracking from lack of use.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Check out the Hankook AT's

FWIW , I've been running 265/70/17 E-rated Hankook Dynapro MT's for almost 2 years with no issues .
Old 03-04-2011, 06:28 AM   #8
Well I was actualy told by a few different tire deelers that if I went with 265/70/17 that it would screw up the ABS braking and one told me that it would screw up the transmission as the electronics determine the shifting......... which I thought was a crock as I have a manual transmission so um..... well........ I tell it when to shift.
I went as far as calling toyota directly to get there advice and they said they dont recomend the 265/70/17 as the truck was engineered for 265/65/17.

I was thinking of getting the Genreal Graber AT/2 as they have pretty much the same exact tread pattern as the BFg's and are cheaper and also are available in the P-metric size. The only thing is I called Tire Warehouse to check the availability but the ones they have are black sidewalls and I was hoping for some white lettering.

Does anyone have the LT BFG's on there Taco that are the 10ply tire? If so how do they ride?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #9
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
a 1" difference will not adversely affect anything. like oswego said, the 265/70/17 should correct the speedo to a true reading, but it will also slow down the reading from the ODO a touch. think of it as a tiny, extended warranty
Old 03-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
So I decided to go with the Bridgstone Dueler AT Revo 2s. Supposed to have them put on today! Cant wait I went for an oil change and a tire rotation a few months ago and I got a call from the mechanic he said that they aren't going to rotate the tires since there isn't any tread left and it would be pointless!! So needless to say I've needed some new tires for a while. And I'll have them just in time for winter to be over no less!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #11
O.F.
bb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: JFK Center, Fort Bragg, NC
bb609's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I decided to go with the Bridgstone Dueler AT Revo 2s. Supposed to have them put on today! Cant wait I went for an oil change and a tire rotation a few months ago and I got a call from the mechanic he said that they aren't going to rotate the tires since there isn't any tread left and it would be pointless!! So needless to say I've needed some new tires for a while. And I'll have them just in time for winter to be over no less!
Good choice! I have 50,000+ on mine and still going strong. Just rotate them every 5,000 miles or so.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
Tidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tidrow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I've been daydreaming of these lately
Old 03-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
Got the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2s put on last Thursday. So far so good! THey look great on my White Tacoma with the White Lettering out!! THey seem to be quieter than the original tires that were on it and seem to take the little bumps without even the slightest noise! Would recomend these tires to anyone. Let's hope they last a long time! They were pricey but well worth it

Thanks to everyone for all there help!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #14
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
What size did you end up with?