Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

who is running 285/60/18's with stock suspension?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
TheRiddleOfSteel is on a distinguished road
TheRiddleOfSteel's Tacoma Gallery
who is running 285/60/18's with stock suspension?

Looking for some pics (im prob putting them on a black trd sport) and I want to make sure its the look im going for before I pull the trigger.

thx
Old 03-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
It's not exactly what you're looking for because I have 5100's in the front set at 1.75", but I am running 285/60/18's on stock rear suspension here, so just imagine the front a little lower:

PS: I was running that tire on stock suspension with no rubbing issues once the front mud flaps were removed.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery

mine are 265/65/18 which is .1 in larger so they are the same and i have billies at 1.75 and dont have any rubbing
Old 03-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
265/65 is bigger than 285/60?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...nch_Tires.html

285/60= inches
31.5 diameter
11.2 width
6.7 height

265/65=
31.6 diam
10.4 width
6.8 height
Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
Discount Tire Company
Archangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Matt
Archangel's Tacoma Gallery
you won't be able to run that setup on bone stock suspension. You'd need spacers on stock setup. You can get Billy 5100's and fix that.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
how do u like those duratrecs? I was prob going with nitto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
It's not exactly what you're looking for because I have 5100's in the front set at 1.75", but I am running 285/60/18's on stock rear suspension here, so just imagine the front a little lower:

PS: I was running that tire on stock suspension with no rubbing issues once the front mud flaps were removed.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddleOfSteel View Post
Looking for some pics (im prob putting them on a black trd sport) and I want to make sure its the look im going for before I pull the trigger.

thx
your gonna rub like crazy on stock suspension. i have bilstein 5100's @ 2.5 and the rear spring TSB (about 2 inches) with 285/75/16 and my shit rubbed pretty bad until i cut and molded the fenders and bumper.

here is what mine looks like with almost a 3 inch lift.

if you put a tire on that big with stock suspension, you are gonna destroy some shit............like your bumper
Old 03-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
you won't be able to run that setup on bone stock suspension. You'd need spacers on stock setup. You can get Billy 5100's and fix that.
I know of a couple people, including myself, that ran that setup on bone stock suspension. With the mud flaps removed, there was nothing I could do TO make them rub.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
Wild Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddleOfSteel View Post
how do u like those duratrecs? I was prob going with nitto
I absolutely love my Duratrac's, they're the best tire I've ever owned. I was running Cooper Zeon LTZ's in 285/60/18, which is basically the same as the Nitto Terra Grappler and they were a great tire and lasted forever, but my Duratrac's perform a lot better in the rain and snow.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Advice is worth what you paid for it right? But at stock ride height, if you want to go oversize and run an 18" rim, I'd suggest 265/65R18. You'll likely still have to remove front mudflaps, or live with rubbing against them.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
Wild Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
your gonna rub like crazy on stock suspension. i have bilstein 5100's @ 2.5 and the rear spring TSB (about 2 inches) with 285/75/16 and my shit rubbed pretty bad until i cut and molded the fenders and bumper.

if you put a tire on that big with stock suspension, you are gonna destroy some shit............like your bumper
Man, why does everybody keep saying this? I PERSONALLY ran this setup on stock suspension and DID NOT rub EVER.

Also, you can't compare a 285/60/18 to a 285/75/16, there's almost a 1.5" size differential.

285/60/18 = 31.46
285/75/16 = 32.83
Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
Man, why does everybody keep saying this? I PERSONALLY ran this setup on stock suspension and DID NOT rub EVER.

Also, you can't compare a 285/60/18 to a 285/75/16, there's almost a 1.5" size differential.

285/60/18 = 31.46
285/75/16 = 32.83
true, but
(this is just an example, not real measurements)
you could get a 285/60/18 nitto terra grappler and a 285/60/18 toyo open country M/T and put them next to each other and be able to see a huge difference, sometimes up to 1" +

not all tires are EXACTLY the same size, even though they are both 285/60/18's.

backspacing and offset of wheels play a large factor in rubbing as well
Old 03-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
You CAN run this setup on stock suspension.

The tires aren't tall enough (32") to hit the uca, even in the 285 width.

A certain chris4x4 ran this setup before he lifted, as did Brett, who posted above......SilvertacoZach is currently running 285/60/18's, no lift, no rub, as well.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #16
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
You CAN run this setup on stock suspension.

The tires aren't tall enough (32") to hit the uca, even in the 285 width.

A certain chris4x4 ran this setup before he lifted, as did Brett, who posted above......SilvertacoZach is currently running 285/60/18's, no lift, no rub, as well.
Quote:
true, but
you could get a 285/60/18 nitto terra grappler and a 285/60/18 toyo open country M/T and put them next to each other and be able to see a huge difference, sometimes up to 1" +

thats why i said this^^^^^^
Old 03-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #17
Wild Ginger

Quote:
true, but

You won't find someone that will argue this exact point more than me (in fact I have pointed out in previous threads that tire sizes are based upon barrel and not outer diameter). But you can't compare two tires that have an almost 1.5" different barrel size.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #18
scdevall is on a distinguished road
scdevall's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to add Bilstein 5100's and wnat to put 305x60's on my 06 DC. Will they rub?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #19
ucr2027 is on a distinguished road

ucr2027's Tacoma Gallery
Pro Comp 285/75R/16

Quick Question. Am going w/ Icon Coilovers, TC UCA for my 06 taco. I need to save for some rims. In the mean time can I use stock 16's with this rim with the 3 inch lift without shreding my tires.

also which bk rims work best with these tires "rubbing"
Old 03-06-2011, 07:24 AM   #20
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucr2027 View Post
Quick Question. Am going w/ Icon Coilovers, TC UCA for my 06 taco. I need to save for some rims. In the mean time can I use stock 16's with this rim with the 3 inch lift without shreding my tires.

also which bk rims work best with these tires "rubbing"
4.5" backspacing is best to avoid rubbing.

You'll need wheel spacers to run 285/75/16's on your stock rims.