Hankook Dynapro ATM 132 66.67%
Yokohama Geolander ATS 66 33.33%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Scabrous is on a distinguished road
Scabrous's Tacoma Gallery
Hankook versus Yokohama

I need new tires and want advice on two I'm thinking about. Let me know what you guys think is a better all around off road tire between the Hankook Dynapro ATM and the Yokohama Geolander ATS. I'm planning on sticking with the stock 245/70/16 size and let's assume both tires are the same price and offer the same warranty. Thanks for your input!
Attached Thumbnails
Hankook versus Yokohama-hankook.jpg   Hankook versus Yokohama-yokohama.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome from Ohio.

Go to the "forum" section and look under wheels and tires. There have been a number of threads on this topic. It will help you make your decision, along with the info you receive from this thread.

I am going with the Hankooks when I put on my new rims in the spring.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running the Hankooks and they're great on and off road! Plus they have a 50k Tread Warranty...I might try their M/Ts next go round
Old 03-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
S.S.T. is on a distinguished road
S.S.T.'s Tacoma Gallery
Love my ATMs. Can't beat their performance for the price (got mine for $114). The Geolanders are good tires too, though.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
I'm running the Hankooks and they're great on and off road! Plus they have a 50k Tread Warranty...I might try their M/Ts next go round
Scott , I love my Hankook Dynapro MT's , but I actually might go the other way and try the AT's next time . haha
Old 03-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSgt - A.G.E. Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
go with the hankooks, you wont be dissapointed. i know i wasnt

Old 03-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck finding the Hankooks ANYWHERE at the moment, unless you happen to find a local place that has them in stock. DTD wouldn't even take a backorder because they had no estimated delivery dates. Waaay backordered.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusjc220 View Post
very nice set-up Jason (Detective_Dan)
thanks darius! i love my setup, very very happy with it. these hankook dynapros grip the road, dirt, sant and mud WAY WAY WAY better than the stock dunlops or rugged trails. huge improvement, and they are very quiet with an aggressive tread. the pictures dont do it much justice, but the tread is VERY deep for and all terrain tire. its almost as deep as a quarter
Old 03-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
"That's what she said..."
Hondarider08 is just really niceHondarider08 is just really niceHondarider08 is just really niceHondarider08 is just really nice

Air Force: Currently ROTC, future fighter pilot.
Name: Justin
Hondarider08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
thanks darius! i love my setup, very very happy with it. these hankook dynapros grip the road, dirt, sant and mud WAY WAY WAY better than the stock dunlops or rugged trails. huge improvement, and they are very quiet with an aggressive tread. the pictures dont do it much justice, but the tread is VERY deep for and all terrain tire. its almost as deep as a quarter
Do you have the LT rated tire or the P rated?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Scott , I love my Hankook Dynapro MT's , but I actually might go the other way and try the AT's next time . haha
Old 03-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider08 View Post
Do you have the LT rated tire or the P rated?
whichever ones have thi higher load range rating (i think the LT's)
Old 03-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #12
Hondarider08 is just really niceHondarider08 is just really niceHondarider08 is just really niceHondarider08 is just really nice

Quote:
whichever ones have thi higher load range rating (i think the LT's)
Yeah the LT's come in a higher ply rating. Do they ride pretty nice or are they rough?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running the AT/S and have been quite pleased. I'm at just over 50k miles on them and have well over 50% life left in them. They preform well on and off road also. FWIW i'm running a E Load Range version of the AT/S.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #14
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Yeah the LT's come in a higher ply rating. Do they ride pretty nice or are they rough?
its deffinently rougher than stock, but its not bad at all. i have 285/75/16 so they are bigger and havier on a light truck, so thats why its a little rougher. the 5100's at 2.5 might also have somethin to do with the slight roughness as well
Old 03-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #15
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the Geolandars...I love them!! I was between these two tires back when I was in the market. Ultimately, it came down to price which is what helped me decide. I think you'll be happy with both
Old 03-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #16

Quote:
its deffinently rougher than stock, but its not bad at all. i have 285/75/16 so they are bigger and havier on a light truck, so thats why its a little rougher. the 5100's at 2.5 might also have somethin to do with the slight roughness as well
Good to know. I have P rated Bridgestone Revos on mine right now and havent gotten the milage out of them like I wanted (30% at 30,000 miles). The Hankooks look really nice and I want to get the LT because they have more tread (3/32 more i think?). Plus, the white walls on these are the best I've seen.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #17
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Good to know. I have P rated Bridgestone Revos on mine right now and havent gotten the milage out of them like I wanted (30% at 30,000 miles). The Hankooks look really nice and I want to get the LT because they have more tread (3/32 more i think?). Plus, the white walls on these are the best I've seen.
ya thats why i put the lettering out. the white just looks so good on these that i didnt want to hide it

if you do go with the LT hankooks, you will not be dissapointed. i know i wasnt
Old 03-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #18
sergio1531 is on a distinguished road

Name: Zombie1531
sergio1531's Tacoma Gallery
I just posted up about this last week. Ima go with the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. i'll post up some pics as soon as they are installed.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #19
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
look into Falken Wildpeak ATs too.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #20
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I am on my second week with my new Dynapro ATMs (265/75-16) and yesterday tested them in the Borrego Desert (Ocotillo Wells OHV Park)... The week before (8 days ago) I tested them is a rare snow storm and mud roads near San Diego... The tires are (so far) outstanding in all the above conditions and they are quiet on the highway.

I have four wheeled since the 1970's... and am very fussy about tire performance and sound. On my 3 Tacomas I have had 1) BFG Rugged Trails (of course), 2) Futura Dakotas, 3) Cooper Discoverer STT, 4) Cooper Discoverer ATR, 5) Toyo Open Country AT, 6) Hankook Dynapro ATM.

My primary use after highway is deep sand, washboard roads, rocky climbs, desert trails, and finally mud & snow.

The Hankooks need more testing to be sure on deep beach sand... but on desert sand they were great...

Here is how I would rate the 6 tires, at this point:

1) Hankook ATM
2) Toyo AT
3) Cooper ATR
4) Futura Dakota
5) BFG Rugged Trail
6) Cooper STT

Dynapros:

Yesterday in the desert: