* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
nb_tacoma is on a distinguished road
Navy: Marine Engineer Mechanic
Name: nick
nb_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
new wheels and TPMS ?

hi all,
I am in the market for new wheels and was wondering about the TPMS, if you guys put them back in the new wheels, or just replaced with normal vavle stems, and if you went with normal valve stems is there a way to get the light on the dash for the tpms to turn off?

thanks in advance
Old 03-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
i dont believe there is a way to get the light to turn off. most people just ignore the light, or put a piece of black electrical tape over it.

if there is a way to turn it off, i would assume it is a fuse so check your fuseboxes to see if any of them are marked for TPMS
Old 03-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
If you can just put the TMPS in the new rims. If you can't keep them and place them in either a small tractor tire or build pressure vessel out of PVC and inflate those to 35psi to get the light to go off. Just look for a good hiding spot in the truck. Or worst case take off the light from the board.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
If you pull that fuse, you will disconnect alot of other stuff too, so I wouldn't recommend that.

You can unplug the TPMS ECU. It's right behind the A/C controls:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...g/em01d0up.pdf

page 45 T14
i was talking about if there was a single fuse only for the TPMS light, but not if there are other dash warning lights wired into the same fuse
Old 03-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
imrocksolid is on a distinguished road

imrocksolid's Tacoma Gallery
Is this the same for the new '11 Tacoma?
Old 03-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by imrocksolid View Post
Is this the same for the new '11 Tacoma?
more than likely, yes
Old 03-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #7

Thanks, I'm picking one up soon. Has the steel wheels and they need to go. New to the Tacoma so I'm trying to read up on mods.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #8

Quote:
If you pull that fuse, you will disconnect alot of other stuff too, so I wouldn't recommend that.

You can unplug the TPMS ECU. It's right behind the A/C controls:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...g/em01d0up.pdf

page 45 T14
How hard is it to get to the TPMS ECU? I've never taken apart a Taco dash before and it looks like I'd need to do that to get to the ECU.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Not hard at all, you just pop out the A/C and fan controls with a screwdriver, and it's right behind there.
Nice, I'll take a look at that tonight. So that ECU only manages the TPMS, it's not going to affect anything else?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #10

Quote:
correct, it is seperate from the 4WD ECU, skid control ECU, and engine control ECU.
Toyota must have gotten smarter about the TPMS. I unplugged the wiring harness from the ECU and started up the truck. TPMS light came on and was flashing. Oh well, might have to go with the black tape mod when my new wheels come in.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #11
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Toyota must have gotten smarter about the TPMS. I unplugged the wiring harness from the ECU and started up the truck. TPMS light came on and was flashing. Oh well, might have to go with the black tape mod when my new wheels come in.
What are you going to do with the steel rims/sensors/tires?
If you break them down, you can take the sensors out & use a band kit in the new tires/rims. The kit cost $50 & others have done that here.
If you keep the steel rims for say winter & add winter tires mounted & aired up, you will not trigger a light unless you get out of signal range. It's pretty far.
In the summer I drive all over the place sometimes 20 miles away, park at a trail head, go for a hike, come back to the truck & still do not have a light. Its been this way for 4 seasons on my 2006.
Others have had same result as me here as well running two sets of tires/one set of sensors.
If you sell the rims/tires/sensors most use the tape method or use other tricks listed on in many of the tacoma forums.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:40 AM   #13
lopezoscar03 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: 482nd FW Fire Depart.
Name: lopezoscar03@gmail.com
lopezoscar03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
If you break them down, you can take the sensors out & use a band kit in the new tires/rims. The kit cost $50 & others have done that here.
If you keep the steel rims for say winter & add winter tires mounted & aired up, you will not trigger a light unless you get out of signal range. It's pretty far.
In the summer I drive all over the place sometimes 20 miles away, park at a trail head, go for a hike, come back to the truck & still do not have a light. Its been this way for 4 seasons on my 2006.
Others have had same result as me here as well running two sets of tires/one set of sensors.
If you sell the rims/tires/sensors most use the tape method or use other tricks listed on in many of the tacoma forums.

i second this... i use to have a 350z and this is what we use to do when we upgraded our wheels.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
I'm planning on keeping the stock tires mounted on the steelies in my garage to run in the winter so I didn't want to break them down. I saw some of the other mods but I don't want to do any cutting of wires and I have no clue how to get the gauge cluster apart to remove the LED.

My old car had the low fuel light permanently stuck on so I should be able to live with it lol
Old 03-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #15
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm planning on keeping the stock tires mounted on the steelies in my garage to run in the winter so I didn't want to break them down. I saw some of the other mods but I don't want to do any cutting of wires and I have no clue how to get the gauge cluster apart to remove the LED.

My old car had the low fuel light permanently stuck on so I should be able to live with it lol
well I keep my factory steel rims w/ sensors & winter tires in storage and get no light in the summer months. If the light triggers, like on my way to Maine, it resets overnight once I return home. My summer rims/tires have no sensors & have done mods except cover the light when it rarely triggers (long trips).
Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #16
lopezoscar03 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: 482nd FW Fire Depart.
Name: lopezoscar03@gmail.com
lopezoscar03's Tacoma Gallery
you could also just remove the sensor and put it on the new wheels. the wheel shop should be able to do this