Notices

Question re Changing Rims

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Hardtooree Member
Blackbear is on a distinguished road
Blackbear's Tacoma Gallery
Question Question re Changing Rims

Just wonderin' about how rim and tire size changes affect truck performance. I've got 245/75/16 steelies on my stock 2008 SR5 Access Cab now but recently bought a set of TRD Sport rims (17") that I'm about to buy new tires for (probably Firestone Destination ATs). Can I use stock 265/65/17 tires with these rims on my truck without screwing up my odometer, ABS or anything else?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
those tires are basically identical, you'll be just fine

tire size calculator
Old 03-08-2011, 03:54 AM   #3
Hardtooree Member
Thanks, CopDoctor. Hadn't noticed the tire size calculator...very cool feature.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:17 AM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
You can actually upgrade to 265/70/17's with no ill effects. Most people have found that their speedometer is actually more accurate with that size than with the stock size.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:17 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I did the same exact swap you're talking about, I went from 245/75R16 to 265/65R17 and there are no effects on your speedo, ODO, ABS or any other akronym your truck has. They take a little more to turn so you might notice a slight drop in fuel economy. I lost about just under 2 MPG but I also went to a heavier and more aggressive tire than the stock dunlops.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
If I were you I would step up to 265/70/17 instead of the 265/65, especially if you ever plan to lift it. When I lifted mine 2.5" my stock 265/65s looked very small on the truck.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Hardtooree Member
Thanks for the feedback. I've no plans to lift the truck so that won't be a problem but I'm surprised the switch from 16" to 17" would drop mileage by 2 MPG, especially going from steelies to alloys (which I'm guessing are lighter). Still, I plan on putting on Firestone Destination ATs...not exactly a monster offroad tire but probably heavier and less of a mileage maker than the stock Dunlops. Some mileage trade-off might be worth it...those stock tires completely suck in snow. Anyway, thanks again.

BTW, if anyone has an extra 17" TRD Sport rim (or even a steelie that matches up) that you don't need I'd be glad to take it off your hands. I need a spare.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I've no plans to lift the truck so that won't be a problem but I'm surprised the switch from 16" to 17" would drop mileage by 2 MPG, especially going from steelies to alloys (which I'm guessing are lighter). Still, I plan on putting on Firestone Destination ATs...not exactly a monster offroad tire but probably heavier and less of a mileage maker than the stock Dunlops. Some mileage trade-off might be worth it...those stock tires completely suck in snow. Anyway, thanks again.

BTW, if anyone has an extra 17" TRD Sport rim (or even a steelie that matches up) that you don't need I'd be glad to take it off your hands. I need a spare.
It may not drop your MPG that much, that's just what I saw with the swap I made, tires I chose and way I drive. I went from the stock dunlops on alloy baja wheels to an A/T tire on TRD Sport wheels. They are a wider tire so you might lose a little but I also travel hills and am in stop and go traffic.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
Hardtooree Member
Pugga, how's the ride/pavement noise/snow grip with your ATs compared to the Dunlops?

Have to wonder if the MPG thing might also be alot different based on our different truck specs, 4.0L auto vs. 2.7L 5-spd. Guess I'll find out once the new rims/tires go on.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear View Post
Pugga, how's the ride/pavement noise/snow grip with your ATs compared to the Dunlops?

Have to wonder if the MPG thing might also be alot different based on our different truck specs, 4.0L auto vs. 2.7L 5-spd. Guess I'll find out once the new rims/tires go on.
The snow/wet grip is great! We got dumped on with snow this year and these tires have kept me confidently planted on the road. I've had Coopers on a few trucks in the past and haven't been disappointed yet, they handle very well in the snow and wet conditions. There is no comparison with the Dunlops at all, they'd spin just on wet pavement. The Coopers are a little noisier, but not much. The Cooper Discoverer ATR is a fairly mild mannered A/T tire. It's not as aggressive as say Duratracs or BFG A/Ts and they have a solid centerline to help reduce road noise. The ride is great, a little stiffer but they ride nice.

MPG's would definitely vary with the different trucks. I've got a double cab 4.0L auto with 4wd so it's already a much heavier truck. You may not see as much of a drop.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
Hardtooree Member
Cooper Discoverer ATRs were one of my finalists when I was checking brands and models...good choice, it rates out as a good tire. Unforetunately my truckfix kitty is a bit stretched after buying a new tonneau and set of TRD wheels. The Firestones rate out well for regular use and at under $150 each they should work fine for my needs...hopefully for the next 5 years or so, lol.

Thanks for the info, and good luck with your truck n' tires.