Notices

16" vs 17"

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Trick will become famous soon enough
Name: Matt
Trick's Tacoma Gallery
16" vs 17"

New guy here. I was wondering what your thoughts were on 16" vs 17" rims. I have an opportunity to swap from the tires/rims that come with the Sport package size 265x65-17 to TRD rims with 265x70-16 tires and was thinking this might be a good idea just from a tire replacement stand point. It seems 16" tires run about $50 cheaper than 17". Do you guys see any issues with this swap? Vehicle is mainly a daily driver with light weekend offroading. Will I notice more road walk or decreased handling with the 16"s? Thanks for any insight.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Trick's Tacoma Gallery
Is this one of those stupid questions from a newby no one wants to touch?
Old 03-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
17'' size tires cost more than a 16'' tire of the same size and 17's have a smaller market. i don't think the 1'' difference will effect performance or handling. and on a personal note, i like as much tire as i can get; thus my 16'' wheels.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
within reason, a taller wheel with shorter sidewall is better for on road handling with quicker/crisper steering response.

more sidewall is better for offroading as there's more rubber sidewall to flex when an obstacle is encountered, and there's more air volume in the tire.

All that being said, we're only talking about a 1" difference here, and I bet most TW members couldn't tell which wheel was which in a blind driving loop test, given the same brand of tires on both rim sizes.

Personally, if I had the "sport" I'd keep the 17s with it, rather than changing just for the sake of changing.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
Just stick with the 17's. They may be more expensive for the tires, but they will balance much much better (especially road force) and will meet your needs just fine.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
Sigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Sigi
Sigi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
within reason, a taller wheel with shorter sidewall is better for on road handling with quicker/crisper steering response.

more sidewall is better for offroading as there's more rubber sidewall to flex when an obstacle is encountered, and there's more air volume in the tire.

All that being said, we're only talking about a 1" difference here, and I bet most TW members couldn't tell which wheel was which in a blind driving loop test, given the same brand of tires on both rim sizes.

Personally, if I had the "sport" I'd keep the 17s with it, rather than changing just for the sake of changing.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
Trick's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the responses guys. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I went the opposite way 16" to 17" cause I like the TRD Sport rims better than the ones mine came with. I didn't have an issue finding tires or think they were really that much more expensive than the 16". I was looking at about a $10-20/tire upcharge for the larger rim size depending on the tire. Some of them were a big jump to go from 16" to 17" but I just eliminated them from my search.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
Nate7747 is a jewel in the roughNate7747 is a jewel in the roughNate7747 is a jewel in the roughNate7747 is a jewel in the rough
Air Force: Medic/Prior Security Forces
Name: Nathan
Nate7747's Tacoma Gallery
I have the stock 17"s right now, but I am thinking about going down to a 16" so I can have a few more tires to chose from, and looks like I might save some money too. I dont know 100% if 16"s will fit a 09 TRD sport, but it looks like it will go one just fine.