1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS balance problems

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by holtm8, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Mar 9, 2011 at 4:33 AM
    holtm8

holtm8 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Columbus, Oh
    Vehicle:
    08 Access cab 4x4 4 banger
    Hi All-
    I bought a set of wheels and tires off an FJ about 6 months ago and could never get them to balance out correctly even after several attempts to balance at different shops. Yesterday I was having new tires put on and the tech told me that there were no TPMS sensors on the FJ wheels and that that would make them very difficult to balance because the alloy wheels are milled where the TPMS sensor goes.

So, I still had vibrations this morning with the new tires. I have made an appointment on Saturday to have the sensors taken out of my old steelies and put on the alloys to hopefully solve the problem.

Has anyone ever heard of this causing a balance problem or is there any truth behind it?

Thanks

2. Mar 9, 2011 at 4:49 AM
    Jones

Jones Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 SSM Prerunner TRD-OFFROAD
    Front: 5100@1.75 with SR5 coils; Rear: 5100 and 1.5 Toytec aal; Tires: Hankook 265/75R16 RF08 ATM; Wheels: powdercoated off-road wheels with FJ TRD center caps
    I call BS on the TPMS throwing off the balance. I would ask to see the milled down spot when adding the TPMS. If the TPMS is really causing the balance problem, ask them to balance the wheel with out a tire on it and see where the weight (if any) is needed to be added to the wheel.

Are you using the original FJ lugnuts on the wheels?

3. Mar 9, 2011 at 4:56 AM
    holtm8

holtm8 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Columbus, Oh
    Vehicle:
    Yes, original FJ lug nuts. The crazy thing is that all four are out, way out....they have about 7 to 8 weights on each wheel.

4. Mar 9, 2011 at 5:08 AM
    Jones

Jones Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 SSM Prerunner TRD-OFFROAD
    Front: 5100@1.75 with SR5 coils; Rear: 5100 and 1.5 Toytec aal; Tires: Hankook 265/75R16 RF08 ATM; Wheels: powdercoated off-road wheels with FJ TRD center caps
    Hopefully the shop can get them balanced out when adding the TMPS in. I would ask them to spin the tire 180 degrees around to see if the high side of the tire and can be put on the low side of the wheel to even out weight. Most tire shops know to do this.

Good luck.

5. Mar 9, 2011 at 5:09 AM
    holtm8

holtm8 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Columbus, Oh
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Jones

Products Discussed in

To Top