Notices

Suggestions on stock size tires?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
lajollaTRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Scotty
lajollaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Suggestions on stock size tires?

Just bought a new '11 double cab TRD Sport 4x4. I was already planning on dumping the stock Dunlap tires since they are worthless in the snow/sand. Any one have a suggestion on a tire that is solid off road but adds on road efficiency? Thinking about BF Rugged trail or Goodyear Silent Armor? P265 65R17 or P265 70R17

Cheers!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Michelin LTX AT2. I had them in stock size and they are great. Had 29,000 miles on them when I took them off and you couldn't even tell they were worn. Ride very well, and good in the rain. And if I were you I would step up to a 265/70/17.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_TACO View Post
Michelin LTX AT2. I had them in stock size and they are great. Had 29,000 miles on them when I took them off and you couldn't even tell they were worn. Ride very well, and good in the rain. And if I were you I would step up to a 265/70/17.
x2
Old 03-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
^X2 I got Michelin LTX M/S best tires I've ever had, great on roads in any condition. The AT2 would be good for you since you like to offroad.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
poynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
poynter's Tacoma Gallery
I am really digging my Hankook Dynapro ATM's so far and the price cant be beat.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
Do not get BFG Rugged Trails. They are referred to as Rugged 'Fails' on this forum for a reason.

They do well on road, but if you truly intend to do some offroading, I would not get them. Get some legit All Terrains instead
Old 03-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
Does bumping the size slightly to P265 70R17 change mpg at all? Living in southern cal I drive a lot and most of my off road is heading up to the mountains in Tahoe and Mammoth so traction in snow is a must. I just don't want to sacrifice mpg.

Thanks for all your suggestions!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think you will notice a change in MPG by going up to a 265/70/17. I went to a 285/65/18 in a Load range E tire and only lost 1.5 mpg on the interstate.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
Sheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sheppy
Sheppymach's Tacoma Gallery
look into the 265/70-17 Bridgestone Revo 2's, mine are nice
Old 03-09-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I went from 245/75/16 to 265/75/16 and didn't change much. The new tires have E rating and heavier than the stock Dunlops. I think the weight effected mpg more than the size.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
Awesome. Thanks guys. I'm going to check out those tires.