LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Experiencing ABS problems with lift and tires...wtf?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Calijavier81 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: SSgt
Calijavier81's Tacoma Gallery
Question Experiencing ABS problems with lift and tires...wtf?

Has anyone experienced a problem with their ABS after installing a lift and bigger tires?? I have a 3" lift with 285/60/18s and while on a smooth paved surface, on a declined on ramp my ABS will beep and activate...while gently "riding" the brakes. I drive this on ramp every morning so it has me concerned. Has anybody experienced anything like this? Any suggestions?

FYI...I don't take the turn hard or slam on the brakes...it's a gradual right handed turn (on ramp) on a moderate downslope. I had no problems with my F-150 or Tacoma prior to putting on larger tires.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You have to visit the dealer so they can reset the VSC/ABS system so it can learn the new parameters.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
You have to visit the dealer so they can reset the VSC/ABS system so it can learn the new parameters.
This ^^^^ you need to get the skid control ecu recalibrated
Old 03-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #4

So this is common then? Do you think they'll charge an arm and a leg to get this "reset"? It's kinda hard to trust any turns, curves, or hard braking as you can imagine. So what actually triggers the system? The "roll" of the vehicle or what?? I appreciate your quick response!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yes it is common.

I think they charge an hours worth of labor.

The tires are a different size than stock so they are confusing the computer. Also there is a yaw sensor and yes it is reacting different do to the lift.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #6

Thanks for the insight man! This should definately be part of the "read before you lift" list for noobs like me!! You put me at ease Whippersnapper! I'll get it checked out this weekend!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
U.S.M.C.
bowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: HQ BN Truck CO 2nd Marine Division, RS Salt lake city, 6th Marine Regiment, 7th Marine Regiment
bowzerdoo77's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to bowzerdoo77 Send a message via Skype™ to bowzerdoo77
its like 90 bucks to fix it
Old 03-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
Banned
Buy the expensive programmer needed to do it.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
Sje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Sean
Sje1124's Tacoma Gallery
Im getting the OME lift sometime next month and dont have a dealer within 120 miles of here and the only way to get to the dealer is by a 12 - 30 hr ferry ride.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #11
Banned
IDK what to tell you. You can install the lift and not have problems or you can have problems.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #12
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sje1124 View Post
Im getting the OME lift sometime next month and dont have a dealer within 120 miles of here and the only way to get to the dealer is by a 12 - 30 hr ferry ride.
There is a method of resetting it on your own , I will have to find you the link when I get to a computer , I'm on my phone right now .
Old 03-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
There is a method of resetting it on your own , I will have to find you the link when I get to a computer , I'm on my phone right now .
Is there? I thought you needed a programmer.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #14
FixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
FixedTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Did you do alignment after the install?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Is there? I thought you needed a programmer.
Crom has a thread about the VSC interaction , you can use the " wire " method , I would still recommend the dealer do it though .
Old 03-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #16
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
The causes are multiple from what I have read... trying to head everyhgin off before my lift install.
1. Tire size is not factory and the wheel speed sensors are off.

2. VSC computer needs recalibration due to new suspension.

3. If your rear end sits too low the VSC computer thinks you are heavily ladden and will be aggressive in preventing a loss of control.

You can try to recalibrate your speedometer and transmisson via an intermediate device like a Dakota Digital speedo recalibrator and regearing, though that does not directly effect your individual wheel sensors.

You can recalibrate the VSC to get a new "normal" ride angle. You can do this at home and it is supposed to be just as effective as the dealership doing it... vehilce must be on perfectly flat ground.

You can shim your sensor in the center console to not get a tail down sensor reading.

Thats what I have gathered so far.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #17

Thanks for the info! Good to know..i'll be sure to get it checked out by the pros this weekend!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sje1124 View Post
Is there any way to reset it with out going to the dealer?
Crom's post ( #2 ) has a link to a PDF of the procedure .

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...c-why-how.html