Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Caliper Paint . . . What To Use? What Color?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2008, 02:53 AM   #1
\m/.....\m/
ph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ph16drive's Tacoma Gallery
Caliper Paint . . . What To Use? What Color?

Has anyone painted their brake calipers? What did you use and how has it held up? I was in Autozone this past weekend and noticed Duplicolor has two products: aerosol or a paint kit for the calipers.

Just looking for advice on what to use and what color to use for my indigo ink pearl Taco as well as any feedback from anyone whose used them. The colors I'm considering are blue, red or yellow. Right now I'm leaning towards yellow.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:52 AM   #2
tacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud of

Name: Levi
tacoma08MZ's Tacoma Gallery
on my last car i owned, a vw gti, i painted mine with the duplicolor aerosol paint. it went on good and lasted as long as i had the car (about a year or so). as for color im not sure red would look good cause its bright red not the red your truck is. id go with yellow to
Old 10-04-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

Hambone155's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hambone155
do you have these done i would like to see some pics if you do
becasue i really want to paint my calipers but idk how they will turn out with diffrent products
Old 10-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
just a heads up.....i have 2 brand new aerosol cans of plasticote red brake caliper paint that i can send someone if they need some good paint. i was gonna use it on my 06, but got lazy and never did it. i have no use for the cans now.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

what kind of bike do you have?

im a honda guy
Old 10-05-2008, 06:43 AM   #9

yeah i dont got a sportbike right now. i bought the taco instead i wish i had a 600 but i have to wait till summer when i get my big checks!
Old 10-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
\m/.....\m/
ph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here's the finished product . . . I did it last weekend before the 50 deg weather hit here in Ohio. I like it but wish I could do something with the rear drums. I thought about painting "TRD" in red on them but was running out of daylight. I realized after I did it that I had michigan colors which is not a good thing in OSU territory but I didn't want to do red.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #11
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone155 View Post
yeah i dont got a sportbike right now. i bought the taco instead i wish i had a 600 but i have to wait till summer when i get my big checks!
I bought the double R about a year ago (and put about 15K miles on it...=) Just worked out the truck by trading in the wifes old car. They look good together- All black and red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph16drive View Post
Here's the finished product . . . I did it last weekend before the 50 deg weather hit here in Ohio. I like it but wish I could do something with the rear drums. I thought about painting "TRD" in red on them but was running out of daylight. I realized after I did it that I had michigan colors which is not a good thing in OSU territory but I didn't want to do red.

That looks pretty good man- That yellow really does come out at ya. You can go with caliper paint on the drums. Either yellow for the color and the protection or just black for the protection.

Good work tho- looks great man!!
Old 10-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #12

thouse are sexy!
how many pistons are in your calipers?
i have 4 in each and i was reather surprised
Old 10-06-2008, 02:05 AM   #13
\m/.....\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
That looks pretty good man- That yellow really does come out at ya. You can go with caliper paint on the drums. Either yellow for the color and the protection or just black for the protection.

Good work tho- looks great man!!
Thanks. If I paint the drums it'll probably be black because I think if they're yellow, it might not look right (as in too much yellow behind the rear tire). I'm still undecided but at least the drums can be removed and I can sand blast them and paint them off of the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone155 View Post
thouse are sexy!
how many pistons are in your calipers?
i have 4 in each and i was reather surprised
I'm not positive but I think they're dual piston.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:48 AM   #14

ok

why go with painting your drumbs?

it would look sick but i would much rather go with upgraded brakes and then paint all the cali's the same

downeyoff-road.com

im rather close to buying them because my insurance went down 74 dollars today! im only 17 and i have went 18 months without any accidents, tickets, or bs! so instead of paying 186.50 its down to 112. its that high because i have 500 deductable and comprehensive.

anyone know about rear trailing arms. anyone made any??
i know total chaos makes them but there almost 2000. thats only for the arms not even the shocks!.
please and thanks!
Old 10-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #16

it would look nice. i dont have wheels that really expose my drums and calis so i think i might stay the same. braking wise its all in the hands of my wallet.

anyone have pics of painted drums?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #17
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
I'd think the only reason you'd NEED disks on the rear of a pickup is if you do a lot of towing or putting a lot of weight in the bed.

I painted my calipers red to match the truck. The drums I just shot black. Doesn't distract from the wheels that way.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #18

sweeet man
how many cans did it take?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #19
Slow is on a distinguished road

Army: Gun-Bunny
Slow's Tacoma Gallery
really encourage using "high heat" paint if possible.