1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire weight. What am i looking for?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by MapleMoose, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Mar 18, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose [OP] Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    I am currently looking at some tire options for the Toyo Open Country M/T's.
    Im want the 285's but im not sure how wide i should go. I know the weight of the tire is going to be a factor. So my choices are: 11.6" wide for 68.3 lbs or 11.1 for 60.6 lbs. I know those 8 lbs on each tire is going to make a difference. Any thoughts?

2. Mar 18, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    I heard that for every 10 extra pounds in tire weight, it is equivalent to having an extra 200 lbs in the truck.

3. Mar 18, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    fishnhunt

fishnhunt Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco sport
    3' suspension lift DVD player Toyo mud tires
    I run Toyo open country Mud Terrains, they weigh about twice as much as a stock tire...but they sure do work magic in the mud...good luck I would stay go with the 11.1

cheers

4. Mar 18, 2011 at 11:08 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Say goodbye to your Gas. With all the uprising in the Middle East, the gas prices are only going to get higher. You'll be paying for it everytime you filll up the tank. Just a thought.

Products Discussed in

To Top