1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Using a 255/85/16 as a spare for 285/75/16?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Tacoma831, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Mar 27, 2011 at 11:09 PM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 [OP] Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    OME 886 Coils, OME Shocks, OME Dakars, Snug Top, De-Badged, ARB Bullbar, XRC8 Winch
    So, I have a set of Interco Trxus MT's in 255/85/16 with about 50% tread left and I am running 285/75/16's on my truck. I am in need of a full size spare and was curious if I could use the 255 as a spare. Is the diameter of each tire close enough to not cause any harm to the drivetrain?

2. Mar 27, 2011 at 11:12 PM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    BMS Intake, JB4 chip, Plastidip everywhere
    close enough. obviously no 4 wheeling but it'll get you there without a problem

3. Mar 27, 2011 at 11:16 PM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 [OP] Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    OME 886 Coils, OME Shocks, OME Dakars, Snug Top, De-Badged, ARB Bullbar, XRC8 Winch
    Yeah that's what I was thinking

4. Mar 27, 2011 at 11:27 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    in the event that you get a flat up front...it may not be a bad idea to swap out a rear and run your spare in the rear... maybe it wont matter because its not that much bigger :notsure:

But I think it'd be fine too either way

5. Apr 5, 2011 at 2:22 PM
    Kauluwela

Kauluwela Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 TACOMA DOUBLE CAB V6 6SPD TRD
    TOYTEC SPACER, OME 885'S, OME STRUTS, TOYTEC DIFF DROP KIT, TOYTEC CARRIER BEARING DROP KIT, LIGHT RACING UCA'S, DEALER TSB'S, OME AAL, OME SHOCKS, VISTA TOP, GROM AUDIO IPOD INTERFACE, ALL PRO EXTENDED BRAKE LINES, ALL PRO SLIDERS, FULL LIMO TINT, AMERICAN RACING MOJAVE WHEELS, WILD COUNTRY XTX 285-70-17, HI-LIFT, TOYTEC HI-LIFT SLIDER ADAPTER
    As long as you are not in locked mode it should be okay. These vehicles are actually 1 wheel drive in 2wd mode and 2 wheel drive in 4wd mode, unless you have a locker. Obvioulsy at freeway speeds and on a longer trip a near perfect match is best but........

Another alternative is a puncture kit and some sort of air system, which could be as simple as a high end bicycle pump. Sometimes simple is better in the woods. Unless it is tear or a sidewall injury, a puncture kit can fix most holes in a snap and you wont even need a spare.

I am running Wild Country XTX 285-70-17s on 17" American Racing Mojave wheels with 4.5 inches of backspace. My biggest challenge was finding a comparable tire to keep under the truck in the spare position that had a close diameter (the tires I am running have an overall diameter of 32.8"). I cant keep the spare in the back like some people do as I commonly use the back for camping equipment for my family - I have a camper shell on the back. I dont have the $$$ for a swing gate, but that would be really nice.

I tried several different tires and found that a TOYO M55 235-85-16 was the best of all worlds (http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/m-55). My reason is this tire is narrow enough not to hang down, and is narrow enough not to get hung up on the UCA in the front position, it is 32" in diameter, close to the 32.8 of the other 4 tires. If fits nicely. I had to bend the spare tire mounts out of the way, so had to use a tie down strap to hold it back away from the axle, before I used the tie down strap it was hitting the differential at full articulation and on washboard. I plan to fab some new mounts, but I honestly feel this is the tallest, narrowest, tire that will fit under the back while still maintaining rear axle articulation and clearance.

Good luck!

P4050006.jpg
    P4050010.jpg

Avrxlius likes this.
  6. Apr 5, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 [OP] Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Nice! That looks like a pretty skinny tire you got there. I don't have a locker but I have the auto LSD. I'm thinking it could be alright to run the 255/85/16 but if the size is off a little would it make my LSD be constantly active?

7. Apr 5, 2011 at 2:50 PM
    Kauluwela

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    TOYTEC SPACER, OME 885'S, OME STRUTS, TOYTEC DIFF DROP KIT, TOYTEC CARRIER BEARING DROP KIT, LIGHT RACING UCA'S, DEALER TSB'S, OME AAL, OME SHOCKS, VISTA TOP, GROM AUDIO IPOD INTERFACE, ALL PRO EXTENDED BRAKE LINES, ALL PRO SLIDERS, FULL LIMO TINT, AMERICAN RACING MOJAVE WHEELS, WILD COUNTRY XTX 285-70-17, HI-LIFT, TOYTEC HI-LIFT SLIDER ADAPTER
    I think you may be correct in that case. I have a 6speed standard and dont have electronic assist, so not sure about that. Howevor, I also own a subaru, which has electronic torque proportioning, which is run by a light sensor in each wheel (similar to the ABS system), and it freaked out at me for driving a longer (about 30 miles) on a low air partial flat tire - had to have the dealer re-set the check engine light. As long as you are running 2wd with the electronic assist turned off, it should be just fine. Friggin electronics.....love them when they work, but sometimes the moon and sun need to align!

8. Apr 5, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 [OP] Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    I have the same transmission as you. Its not electronic its a mechanical Limited slip than engages when there's tire spin

9. Apr 5, 2011 at 3:03 PM
    Kauluwela

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    What year/model is that? TRD Sport? I am always interested in the different combos out there and how they operate as compared to mine (so I know what to buy next time!). Electronic limited slip would be nice. Is that similar to the electronic stabilization from the 4runners?

10. Apr 5, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    Kauluwela

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    I read it right this time. MECHANICAL limited slip. This is like the posi trac rear end in my 70' CJ-5. Should not be a problem as these usually only are triggered when there is a sufficient difference in wheel speed. That is one wheel needs to be spinning significantly faster than the other for the "lock" to be activiated, otherwise the vehicle would never be able to turn a sharp corner or the differential would lock each time you turn sharp. It is probably set at a rate just above the sharpest turning radius so it will not activiate under "normal" activity. In this case I would not think running a close-in-size, but smaller tire would cause a "lock" effect.

Is that the TRD model, or the general 6 speed 4wd? I have a TRD. IMO, the TRD is a waste of money, the suspension sucked, and I had to replace it all anyway. Only benefit is the locker, but you could probably get a better aftermarket one for less $$$. If I had gone with the standard package instead of the TRD, the money saved would have paid for the suspension upgrades!! Just my $0.02

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential for more info on lockers.

11. Apr 5, 2011 at 3:31 PM
    Kauluwela

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
  12. Apr 5, 2011 at 3:37 PM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 [OP] Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    It is a TRD sport and you are right about that package being a waste of money. I barely put 5k on the stock suspension haha. I think I'll get one of my spares mounted and see how it works out.

13. Nov 19, 2019 at 8:47 AM
    Avrxlius

Avrxlius Member

Member:
    High Rockies
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno Tacoma TRD Pro
    Fox 2.5 Extended Travel Coilovers // Fox 2.5 Reservoir Shocks // Icon Mult-Rate RXT Leafs // Enkei RPT1 16 Bronze // Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/75R16 // ECGS Clamshell CV Axle Bushing // Wheeler's U-Bolt Flip Kit // Wheeler's SuperBump Stops // Wheeler's Axle Shim // ARB Carrier Bearing Drop Kit // SwitchPros SP9100 // WeBoost Drive Reach // Meso Customs BD3-NMO Ultimate 3rd Brake Light // Garmin Mini Dash Cam + Polarized Filter // SDHQ Battery Terminals // CBI Al Full Skid Plates // SOS Streamline Al Bumper // Warn VR EVO 10-S Winch // Factor 55 Flatlink E + Rope Guard // Factor 55 Hawse Fairlead 1.5 // Cascadia 4x4 Flipster V2 // BPF HD Recovery Tow Hook // SDHQ ABS Guards // Baja Designs Squadron Sport Amber Fog Lights // Line-X'd Bed // Bak Revolver X4 // Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners // Meso Customs Gasshole // Hella Supertone Horns // PIAA G3 Headlight LEDs // VLED Indicator, Turn, Reverse // Spotter Mirrors // TRD Oil Cap // TRD Coolant Cap // Manifold Air Injection System K&N Filter // K&N Cabin Air Filter // Carhartt Precision Fit Seat Covers
    @Kauluwela -
    Thank you for the informative post! How come you had to bend the spare tire mounts out of the way? Does this have something to do with the tire being narrower or taller?

Products Discussed in

To Top