Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Studdly Taco

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Studdly Taco

Anyone run ice picks (studded tires) on your Taco in the winter time? Had a set of 4 on the wifes explorer when my twins were born. Did this so I wouldn't have to worry about them getting home safely. Amazing traction on ice and snow pack. Going to do the same for the new Taco.

Plus that is a cool title for a thread....
Old 09-20-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
I would like to see pictures of that. I have never gotten to drive in the snow. Last time it snowed here was 87 or 88.
I'll post some pics when I get them on.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
mainerinexile is on a distinguished road
mainerinexile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiertaco View Post
Anyone run ice picks (studded tires) on your Taco in the winter time? Had a set of 4 on the wifes explorer when my twins were born. Did this so I wouldn't have to worry about them getting home safely. Amazing traction on ice and snow pack. Going to do the same for the new Taco.

Plus that is a cool title for a thread....
I've always run studded snow tires on my trucks to help resolve the lousy winter traction inherent with all pick-ups. Doesn't do much for the mpg, but better than being in a snowbank.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
What you looking to run?

I actually switched to studless Blizzaks with this truck. No regrets, comparable traction on snow/ice, none of the drawbacks that studded snowies have on dry roads and your driveway. But I'd say set of studded Nokians would probably the ultimate tire for full time winter conditions.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncleaner View Post
What you looking to run?

I actually switched to studless Blizzaks with this truck. No regrets, comparable traction on snow/ice, none of the drawbacks that studded snowies have on dry roads and your driveway. But I'd say set of studded Nokians would probably the ultimate tire for full time winter conditions.

First off nice truck.Thought I might go with the Firestone Winterforce UV. I did look at the Blizzac, but the hills I drive on now, and the ice that we sometimes get here in southern Indiana can sometimes be bad.Don't see how without studs you could start from a standstill on a hill and make it up a solid sheet of Ice.(whats your experience with the Blizzac?) I have a few long hills that most people get stuck on because you can't keep your momentum going due to curves.Thanks for the help.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:28 AM   #8
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

^Thanks, going on winter #5 with them. You go anywhere, and honestly 99% of time I could get around in just 2wd. 4wd its a tank. Also run some on wife's Fwd Mazda 3. They have a soft compound and are heavily siped. Awesome on snow, ice they work 10 times better than an all-season, but ice is still ice. If you look at tirerack.com's ice rink test, the 3 studless tires they tested beat a studded tire. But I think a perfect smooth ice rink provided a perfect suction cup for the studless tires.

As for the Winterforce, one of the best bangs for the buck out there, they work well. Many friends run them, though I think I'll stick w/ another set of Blizzaks or some studless Nokian's when these wear out.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:35 AM   #9
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
^Thanks, going on winter #5 with them. You go anywhere, and honestly 99% of time I could get around in just 2wd. 4wd its a tank. Also run some on wife's Fwd Mazda 3. They have a soft compound and are heavily siped. Awesome on snow, ice they work 10 times better than an all-season, but ice is still ice. If you look at tirerack.com's ice rink test, the 3 studless tires they tested beat a studded tire. But I think a perfect smooth ice rink provided a perfect suction cup for the studless tires.

As for the Winterforce, one of the best bangs for the buck out there, they work well. Many friends run them, though I think I'll stick w/ another set of Blizzaks or some studless Nokian's when these wear out.
Go with the Blizzaks the best winter tire your going to find
Old 09-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tarantino View Post
Go with the Blizzaks the best winter tire your going to find
wow...thanks yall, you have forced me to re-evalute my choice of a studded tire. I've loved the studs on previous vehicles, but I do drive 50 miles a day to my new job. Also I haven't had a vehicle like this, so i'm not familiar with how the weight distribution on my Taco will cause it to handle. 'Like a tank' sure sounds great though. Thanks again for the great help and much valued experience.

Anyone else have any experience with the Blizzacs or stuuded tires in winter?
Old 09-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBulldog View Post
50% of how your vehicle handles in the snow is how you drive it... (was born in North Dakota and grew up in Upstate NY after 3 years in Germany).
Yeah... I have no intention of putting studs on mine, and I live at 8k above sea level in the Colorado mountains. Why would you need them in Indiana?
Old 09-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #12
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What you looking to run?

Looks like someone needs to shovel their roof more often!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #13
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Looks like someone needs to shovel their roof more often!
Probably no point. As soon as he does it snows again
Old 09-23-2008, 03:18 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCo View Post
Yeah... I have no intention of putting studs on mine, and I live at 8k above sea level in the Colorado mountains. Why would you need them in Indiana?
I'm jealous, that has to be a beautiful place to live. Icy winters can be very common around here....snow is not an issue, my front wheel drive car did better in snow than any other vehicle I have owned. The main purpose for ice picks is mainly for ice. We get a lot of days hovering around freezing which leads to freezing rain and other icy situations. Black ice etc. Maybe where you live it just gets cold and stays cold, therefore you may not get the freezing rain as often. Besides I would be sick to see this beauty slide off the road. I call it cheap insurance.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #15
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm jealous, that has to be a beautiful place to live. Icy winters can be very common around here....snow is not an issue, my front wheel drive car did better in snow than any other vehicle I have owned. The main purpose for ice picks is mainly for ice. We get a lot of days hovering around freezing which leads to freezing rain and other icy situations. Black ice etc. Maybe where you live it just gets cold and stays cold, therefore you may not get the freezing rain as often. Besides I would be sick to see this beauty slide off the road. I call it cheap insurance.
We definitely get our share of icy roads and black ice. I grew up in Central Illinois, so I've experienced the ice storms, but they're not that common are they? I don't remember them to be at least, so it seems like a lot of expense to go through for a little insurance during a few storms a year.

I did have studded tires out here when I had my Corolla because I had all sorts of trouble getting up my driveway at the time. They were only good for a couple of winters, as most of the studs fell out. I think it had a lot to do with driving on dry roads. I'd probably look at those studless blizzaks before I got studs if I had to do it again.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCo View Post
We definitely get our share of icy roads and black ice. I grew up in Central Illinois, so I've experienced the ice storms, but they're not that common are they? I don't remember them to be at least, so it seems like a lot of expense to go through for a little insurance during a few storms a year.

I did have studded tires out here when I had my Corolla because I had all sorts of trouble getting up my driveway at the time. They were only good for a couple of winters, as most of the studs fell out. I think it had a lot to do with driving on dry roads. I'd probably look at those studless blizzaks before I got studs if I had to do it again.
I am going to check out the Blizzaks a little more seriously because of the previous posts. You are exactly correct about only getting a few ice storms. But when my wife had our twins, she had an explorer with four studded tires on it. I ran that set on her vehicle for 6 years and still have them sitting in my barn with all the studs in tact. I always told her to drive them carefully and not spin her tires. The only issue they have is that one has to have air put in it about once a month. (probably a stud pushing through the inside of the tire)I can't use them on the Taco because they are 15". I guess I just like the confidence of knowing I'll be able to get home safely from work at 12am in the morning. Thanks for your help. You've made me think.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #17
After much thought, and one slick freezing snow that caused me to almost get stuck on a solid ice hill due to others being incapable to climb, I went with the Winterforce tires with studs. They look even better in person than in the book. I'll let everyone know how I like them by springtime. Here are a few pics. Crappy cell pics sorry.
Hey, how do ya'll like longbows' wheels on my truck. Thanks for the great deal on the wheels and tires 'bow.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:45 PM   #18
The ice picks did the trick perfectly. I noticed that the cars behind me were drifting farther away as I was traveling home tonight.
So for 10 miles on hills and curves the roads looked like solid ice. The truck felt strange in the curves but never broke loose. So I slowed to about 5 mph and opened the door and put my foot on the ground to find absolutely no resistance to the bottom of my shoe. Solid ice. Was worth the investment to get home on ice without slipping a tire at 12am in the morning on back country roads.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #19
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The ice picks did the trick perfectly. I noticed that the cars behind me were drifting farther away as I was traveling home tonight.
So for 10 miles on hills and curves the roads looked like solid ice. The truck felt strange in the curves but never broke loose. So I slowed to about 5 mph and opened the door and put my foot on the ground to find absolutely no resistance to the bottom of my shoe. Solid ice. Was worth the investment to get home on ice without slipping a tire at 12am in the morning on back country roads.

Just ordered these today from TireRack.

No one local had them or could get them since Thanksgiving due to the new ontario snow tire law. All my local supply got gobbled up. I wasn't really happy with my Silent Armor snow rated tires towing the trailer at all this season (2nd winter on tires). After seeing the carnage from black ice posted & another Nor'easter is on its way Weds figured it was time. Will mount the SAs on my new alloys, keep the snows on the steelies.

Thanks for the review. How's the dry pavement handling been?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #20

^ We finally got to you.

Good luck w/ the new treads. You studding them too?

Your first 5 am drive when its dumping with sled in tow you'll be smiling ear to ear.