Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

stock tires with a lift?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
switchfoot177 is on a distinguished road
switchfoot177's Tacoma Gallery
stock tires with a lift?

Okay so I am going to be buying a brand new double cab 4x4 tacoma in May and I am just thinking about how I wanna modify it. I want a small lift, maybe 2 or 3 inches, and I want All Terrain tires, but I can't decide what size to get. Would stock size tires look weird on a 2 or 3 inch lift? And if so, how much bigger should I get? Will it mess up my gas mileage much?
Old 09-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Check out my lift faq thread.

Most people who lift 3" go with 285s which are a 33" tire. I plan on going with 265/75/16 with a 3" lift, several people have that size and I think it looks perfect. Plus they weigh less (don't eat into your gas as much), are cheaper, and require zero trimming.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Go with 265/75/16. They're a little bigger than stock, but will have little or no negative side affects.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, go with a 2 1/2" kit and then run some 265's. they should look pretty proportional with the lift and there wont be any trimming nor will the gas mileage be affected to badly.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
is there anything else i would need? new shocks or anything?
Old 09-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
and also, what tires do you guys recommend?
Old 09-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchfoot177 View Post
is there anything else i would need? new shocks or anything?
if you want a lift i'd just go and get a set of ride height adjustable Bilstein 5100's (set to 2.5" lift) and a pair of 5100's for the back along with an add a leaf. this is probably the best riding and simplest solutions for you, and it wont break the bank
Old 09-22-2008, 07:07 PM   #8

Quote:
and also, what tires do you guys recommend?
what will you be using the truck for? alot of highway with the occasional trip off road or do you like 4wheelin alot? do you tow/haul? gimme somthin to go off of.....
Old 09-23-2008, 08:40 AM   #9
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Whats the largest tire you can run on stock height without trimming?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #10
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoruptTaco View Post
Whats the largest tire you can run on stock height without trimming?
265/75/16 or 265/70/17.

Go check out my lift faq, it has a link to a thread full of lifted trucks with stock wheels.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
what will you be using the truck for? alot of highway with the occasional trip off road or do you like 4wheelin alot? do you tow/haul? gimme somthin to go off of.....
im probably going to be doing a lot of regular city and highway driving with the occasional off roading every once in a while
Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 PM   #13

Quote:
im probably going to be doing a lot of regular city and highway driving with the occasional off roading every once in a while
in this case a regular all terrain tire would be best suited for you. i recommend: Procomp All terrain or maybe Xtreme All terrain, BF Goodrich All terrain, Toyo All terrain, Hancook Dynapro AT, Nitto Terra Grappler, Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo. these are all well rated tires so you can pretty much take your pick on the one that you like the looks of the best and/or the one that fits your budget.