Notices

Tire Size on my 2.7 4X4 - Advice Needed

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Drogers is on a distinguished road

Name: Derek
Drogers's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Size on my 2.7 4X4 - Advice Needed

I am currently running 245/75R16 on my stock wheels. I understand that I can run 265/75R16 on my vehicle which has stock components.

1) I am about to pull the trigger on some Terra Grapplers and want to be sure that there will be no modifications necessary with running this slightly larger tire? No spacers involved, shaving, etc?

2) I also understand that I might lose some power, take-off, acceleration and mpg. I am hoping since this is an all terrain type of tire that the above will be minimal. There were suggestions that I can switch up my air intake and exhaust to kind of compensate for any losses that I may experience. I know that I can regear but this seems to be the more expensive option, but perhaps more sensible.

If anyone can chime in on these two questions with your experience that'd be great!

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogers View Post
I am currently running 245/75R16 on my stock wheels. I understand that I can run 265/75R16 on my vehicle which has stock components.

1) I am about to pull the trigger on some Terra Grapplers and want to be sure that there will be no modifications necessary with running this slightly larger tire? No spacers involved, shaving, etc?

2) I also understand that I might lose some power, take-off, acceleration and mpg. I am hoping since this is an all terrain type of tire that the above will be minimal. There were suggestions that I can switch up my air intake and exhaust to kind of compensate for any losses that I may experience. I know that I can regear but this seems to be the more expensive option, but perhaps more sensible.

If anyone can chime in on these two questions with your experience that'd be great!

Thanks in advance.
1) every truck varies, but you should be fine

2) i went up to a 265/75/16 goodyear duratrac and went from 21-22 mpg's to about 18. i also lifted 1.75'' at the same time. the duratracs are pretty heavy and very aggressive, you might not notice as much of a drop. as far as power loss, you most likely wont notice it on take off. i only notice on the highway when in 5th gear. a few hills that i would be able to pull in 5th i now have to downshift to 4th.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
While I do own a V6 I am running the equal size in 17in. 265/70R17, you def don't have to regear b/c that would eat even more MPG's. As far as trimming you'll be fine. Lock to lock with my tires I'm good, no touchy. Don't know the weight of the Terra Grappler but the Dura Tracs are actually lighter than some other similar off road tires. Lighter=better mpg

With any aggressive tires comes hums and balancing issues. The 6 lug Toyota wheels need a special plate w/ fingers on it to hold the wheel properly on the wheel balancer. Make sure where ever you go has this or equalivlent. If your tires still don't balance try "counteract balancing beads." I'm running them in my tires and my slight vibes at 65 are all gone.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR54x4 View Post
1) every truck varies, but you should be fine

2) i went up to a 265/75/16 goodyear duratrac and went from 21-22 mpg's to about 18. i also lifted 1.75'' at the same time. the duratracs are pretty heavy and very aggressive, you might not notice as much of a drop. as far as power loss, you most likely wont notice it on take off. i only notice on the highway when in 5th gear. a few hills that i would be able to pull in 5th i now have to downshift to 4th.
do you have a good pic of your truck? literally the exact build i want, would be nice to see!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #5

Drogers's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for your input thus far guys. This is helpful.

Keep em coming!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
I rubbed on one side with 3" of lift 265/75/16's on 4" of backspace. It was minor and I never bothered to trim it but that rubbing was just from turning full lock in a parking lot. I only rubbed on the plastic that hangs down in front of the tire.

I now I have 33x12.5's and don't rub anything on or offroad. I don't jump my truck though or crawl up rocks.

Cutting does wonders.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
Reepur is on a distinguished road
Reepur's Tacoma Gallery
I have Genaral AT2's in 265/75/16's. Really cannot tell any power loss.
I have recently added 300 pounds of armor and I live in the mountains too.

Have 1.75" lift in front, 1.5" AAL in back, btw
Old 04-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
You might rub your mudflaps and need to trim them and/or remove them.

Yes, the board collective wisdom is that 265/75R16 fits. However, read carefully enough and you'll see that many using that tire size remove their flaps because they want to - and of the remaining who choose to keep them, it's like a 60/40 or 70/30 split among those who cleared and/or had to trim them. The difference might be a backspacing/wheel offset issue. Not usually enough info available to say for sure.

Having had a reg cab for a while now, I've actually started thinking the 265/70R16 tire size with a nice agressive AT pattern would be a good regular cab 4x4 look. Remember, reg cabs come stock with 245/75R16, so that's a reasonable tire size increase.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #9
tig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
tig1's Tacoma Gallery
is anybody here running bilstein 5100's on there 4 banger.i heard they don't fit our trucks.

later tig1
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reepur View Post
I have Genaral AT2's in 265/75/16's. Really cannot tell any power loss.
I have recently added 300 pounds of armor and I live in the mountains too.

Have 1.75" lift in front, 1.5" AAL in back, btw
I remember you. You are the one with the upside down sliders. Did you decide to leave them that way?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #11
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
I'm runnning 265/75r16's Hankook Dynapro ATM's on my regular cab. No rubbing with these tires and no real lack of power. I still have my mudflaps on by the way. I also have Bilstein 5100's on the front set at .85". I had the tires on before the Bilsteins and it did not rub then either. Don't know if the Terra-Grapplers are going to be any different.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
Truckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud of

Name: Dan
Truckn4life's Tacoma Gallery
Op. I have the same tire size u want on that truck. I have no problems at all. A little loss in top speeds. Look at photos on my profile.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #13
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
adding a question to your question.

I have the stock 245/75/r16 but looking for a little bit more aggressive tire,

Since I live in the snowy part of NY I was thinking of staying at 245 since snow and skinny tires goes well.

The stock dunlops were good in winter, with 240# sand.
And have been pretty good on the trail.

Any thoughts on keeping width at 245?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
Truckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud of

Name: Dan
Truckn4life's Tacoma Gallery
a thinner/taller tire will do better in snow/mud(unless supper deep mud pit). allows the tire to cut down to the hard pack earth. thats where your traction is. a wider tire for general off road
Old 04-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #15

Drogers's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to all who chimed in. I appreciate all of your input. Ordered them up today and should have them on by Friday. Now I need to figure out if I'm ballzy enough to paint my stock wheels flat black. Saw some pretty encouraging threads that have tempted me.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #16
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogers View Post
Thanks to all who chimed in. I appreciate all of your input. Ordered them up today and should have them on by Friday. Now I need to figure out if I'm ballzy enough to paint my stock wheels flat black. Saw some pretty encouraging threads that have tempted me.
im thinking the same thing for when I get mine lol. Depends on the paint you have IMO
Old 04-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #17
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tig1 View Post
is anybody here running bilstein 5100's on there 4 banger.i heard they don't fit our trucks.

later tig1
yes, i am and many others are. no problem with 5100s and the 4 banger
Old 04-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #18
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower29 View Post
do you have a good pic of your truck? literally the exact build i want, would be nice to see!
here you go, none of these are that current, i guess i need some more. the first is when i first had the lift and tires done, then the second is after i plasti-diped the wheels.

since then i have plasti diped the badges and lower front bumper valence, added a tool box and added spidertrax wheel spacers.
Attached Thumbnails
Tire Size on my 2.7 4X4 - Advice Needed-img00050-20101010-1333.jpg   Tire Size on my 2.7 4X4 - Advice Needed-img00066-20101129-1827.jpg   Tire Size on my 2.7 4X4 - Advice Needed-avatar.jpg   Tire Size on my 2.7 4X4 - Advice Needed-painted-wheels-3.jpg   Tire Size on my 2.7 4X4 - Advice Needed-painted-wheels-4.jpg  

Old 04-07-2011, 03:53 AM   #19

Drogers's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great. Yea, my badges are painted up already, all I have left is the wheels. I think I'm gonna do it! Was just waiting on those new tires. Excited for the weekend, it's going to be a fun project.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:28 AM   #20
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tig1 View Post

later tig1
It has nothing to do with the motor, it has to do with whether you have a 5 lug or 6 lug suspension. 5100's dont' fit 5-lugs.