Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Slow leak driving me slowly insane!

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
BigRed75 is on a distinguished road

BigRed75's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Slow leak driving me slowly insane!

Sat. before last, some jerk cut me off & to avoid him slamming into my kid in the back seat, I swerved & hit the curb with the right rear tire. It has a very faint scrub mark but that's it. Mon., just 2 days later, the tire was almost completely flat, so on went the spare until I could get to the shop. At the shop Sat., the guys filled it up, ran tests, & found absolutely nothing wrong with it. They told me to just watch it & if it did it again, bring it back. All was well & good until, you guessed it, this Mon. AM, the tire was flat again. So, hubby aired it up & I drove it over to the shop again. This time, they dismantled the tire, ran all their tests again, & again found nothing wrong with it - they put it back on & I drove home. Tue., the tire looked fine. Today (Wed.), it's low enough that it'll definitely be flat tomorrow morning. What's going on? I can't keep missing work to spend 2hrs. at the shop for "nothing"?? ARGH!!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
If you literally slammed into the curb you might have dented the wheel slightly creating a small gap between the tire and wheel. But I'm probably wrong.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah definately check your rim, tire can look perfect but its always your rim you got to watch out for.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #4

After I mentioned to them that when I had this issue years ago on my '85 S10 it was due to a dented rim, they checked both rim & tire & still didn't find anything wrong.

*sigh*, I guess only a new rim & tire is going to solve this problem.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
Have they checked the valve stem? Thats the only other thing it could be.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Does the tire pressure gauge lights on the board??
Old 09-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #7

yep
Old 09-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
Does the tire pressure gauge lights on the board??
Yes, and the tire itself is visibly low.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

well my guess it could be the wheel and the valve stem, or even sometimes the tire can have a small crack not imperceptible to the eye, why don't you try this: have your spare tire swapped on your damaged wheel, and viceversa, that way you can see which one is damaged the wheel or the tire,,,
Old 09-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I hope you don't have to replace it! A new OEM wheel is about $475.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
well my guess it could be the wheel and the valve stem, or even sometimes the tire can have a small crack not imperceptible to the eye, why don't you try this: have your spare tire swapped on your damaged wheel, and viceversa, that way you can see which one is damaged the wheel or the tire,,,
Hmm, that's a good idea.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I hope you don't have to replace it! A new OEM wheel is about $475.
Yeah, so far, I haven't been out of pocket on anything & it would be nice to keep it that way, lol.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
If you had a bent rim enough to cause you to lose air - you'd see it and you'd most likely have vibrations also.

Did you actually watch the shop take the wheel off the rim and check it?

Did they clean the rim and clean the tire surface?

Here's something to check - Take the tire off & fill it up. Pour some soapy water over it (all over it). Watch for air bubbles forming. You could have a very slight crack in the rubber/sidewall from the impact, enough to cause a slow leak.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
If you had a bent rim enough to cause you to lose air - you'd see it and you'd most likely have vibrations also.

Did you actually watch the shop take the wheel off the rim and check it?

Did they clean the rim and clean the tire surface?

Here's something to check - Take the tire off & fill it up. Pour some soapy water over it (all over it). Watch for air bubbles forming. You could have a very slight crack in the rubber/sidewall from the impact, enough to cause a slow leak.
I definitely don't see a dent or feel vibrations - on my old S10, I *knew* I bent the rim immediately, but this time, I didn't hit the curb nearly that hard.

Yes, I saw them do the whole thing, including cleaning the rim & tire (I was standing in the shop area rather than in the waiting area, discussing football with one of the guys who was on break).

I definitely think it's worth a shot giving it a test myself, though, to see whether I notice anything the shop might've missed.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #15
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Yeah, do as she suggests. Its the easiest way to detect a leak but pump up the tire pressure to the maximum pressure indicated on the tire. You'll detect the leak sooner since its a very slow leak. If you dont have luck with the soap test, drop your tire in a tub filled with water and remember to do the soap test on both sides. If nothing helps, as a last resort you may consider using a liquid tire sealant. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
Yeah, do as she suggests. Its the easiest way to detect a leak but pump up the tire pressure to the maximum pressure indicated on the tire. You'll detect the leak sooner since its a very slow leak. If you dont have luck with the soap test, drop your tire in a tub filled with water and remember to do the soap test on both sides. If nothing helps, as a last resort you may consider using a liquid tire sealant. Good luck.
Thanks.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #17

hope is an easy cheap fix! good luck!
Old 09-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #18

* update *

Well, after a dip test showed the hole, I've now got a new tire plus a free oil change coupon for the hassle.

I'm a much happier camper now.

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 09-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #19
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Wow...sounds like my front passenger tire right now. Drove slowly (in a parking lot) into a deep pothole/rut and the pressure in that tire started to drop. Didn't see the pothole. I noticed the tire was bulging a few days back and found out it was at 25psi.

How much did you have to pay to replace the tire?

My tire is only two weeks old...hope I can get it replaced without having to pay out of pocket.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #20

I'm sure I probably could've done better had I shopped around for the tire, but I was just so sick of waiting at shops and all that I just replaced it with the same as what I had on it, so it was $144.95 when all was said and done.