Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Calibrating Staun Tire Deflators

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2008, 08:00 AM   #1
Shadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Shadow-Warrior's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Calibrating Staun Tire Deflators

I have noticed that members have problems with their STAUN Tire deflators. I thought this would be a good chance to make a “How-To” thread on how to properly make the calibrations of your Staun’s.

First off, I just used my Spare on the back of the vehicle to do my Calibrations. You don’t need to put them on all four of your tires.

Items that you will need:

1. Air Compressor
2. Staun Tire Deflators
3. Patience

Calibrating

1. Deflate your Spare to the “DESIRED” air pressure. I set mine to 20psi. This is just about right for most anything you will encounter, unless your running bead locks and are running Rock Crawling trails.

2. With the lock ring and adjusting cap wound down, screw your deflator on the spare tire.

3. Loosen the cap (Anticlockwise) until deflation “Pin” pops open, then immediately tighten the cap to a position where the Air stops exhausting.

4. Turn the locking ring up to the adjusting cap and tighten.

5. Air up the spare about 5 psi over the desired set pressure, then re-install your deflator. It will probably NOT start deflating, this is normal. Just pull up slightly on the deflation “Pin” and it will start the exhausting process.

6. When the air stops, remove the deflator and check your tire pressure, it should be exactly the correct PSI.

7. Repeat the process with the other three deflators. I have all mine set perfectly for 20 psi. Once they are set, you don’t ever have to mess with them again, unless you want to change air pressure.

I hope this will help those that have the Staun Deflators, I love mine, very well built and high quality along with being a very precise instrument for airing down your tires. Good luck, if you have any problems just pm me.

TIP: You may want to add a drop of lock tight to the locking ring so it dosen't get loose on you.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Shadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Yet another good post. Glad your here.
Thanks, I like helping others out if I can.

Mike
Old 09-24-2008, 08:36 AM   #4

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
I loaned out my Stauns to a friend who had never used them. When he was taking them off he inadvertently twisted the wrong portion and messed up the calibration. I didn't know this and I ended up airing my tires down to the wrong PSI. So.. while not foolproof, I did this. I re-adjusted my Stauns, then took a Rub-A-Dub and made a line across the threads. This way I can tell if they are out of adjustment AND if i do manage to mess them up I can "get them close". Good writeup BTW, I'll be doing the locktite trick.
Thanks, the Loc Tight works to prevent that from happening.

Mike