Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tire questions

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
the town is back that way
GeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Freeda Feltcher
GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Tire questions

Im just about to buy the complete OME setup and am looking at tires now. Im looking at 285-17-16 in TA KO for $939, Duratracs for $1084, KM2s for $1017, or should i save some weight and still get the 33 inch tire and go with a 255-85-16 in the KM2 for $899.

I do off road, usually once a month or so, Im new to Colorado so i dont know the type of trails very well, but from this past weekend, the trails range from forest service roads to trails with 3 feet of snow this time of year. Moab is for sure on my list as well.

So basically im not sure if ill need the KM2, dont do much muddin, but they are the cheapest in the 255-85-16 size.

I know alot of people are runnig thises sizes and types of tire, what do yall think of them? hows the wear, on and off road performance, gas milage drops? (i know it will drop, but id prefer not to drop to 12) Also did anyone adjust their speedo?

Thoughts?

Thanks TW
Old 04-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
08pretaco has 255/85/16's. Hit him up for some info...
Old 04-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Eric,

You will need some spacers to fit the 285's with the stock TRD OR wheels or you will rub the UCA's.

I'm running 285/70/17 duratracs now (same as 285/75/16)

Since you don't do much mudding, I would go with the duratracs or the AT KO's. They're both great tires.

I didn't reset my speedo, I just know it's about 5mph slower than I'm really going. I only lost about 1mpg going from 265/75/16's to the 285/70/17's. You will probably lose 2mpg since you're going from 265/70/16's.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
GeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud of

GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
sweet, thanks Brad

FWIW, I have the FJ TRD SE wheels
Old 04-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Pm reply'd GeoTaco, hit me up if you would like any more info. What I wrote was a little generalized.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
get 33in tires for sure. 265s save weight but only a tiny bit, 285s fit the 3" lift perfectly and they look bomb. no need to adjust speedo, only about 3mph off
Old 04-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTaco View Post
sweet, thanks Brad

Those are 4.5" backspaced so you are good to go with 285's
Old 04-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTaco View Post
sweet, thanks Brad

Oh yeah, I completely forgot that you had those. My B
Old 04-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
also since i'm a treadwright whore i would invite you to take a peek. they ship from north CO and show up in about 2-3 days

http://www.treadwright.com/p-52-285-...dog-m-t-d.aspx
Old 04-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The major factor for me getting the 255/85/16 is that you get a 33" (33.1) tire that is narrow. Factors that played for me was weight and contact patch (surface area). For DD I do not want to be having my truck work harder than it needs. I have less rolling resistance and rotational mass.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...5-85-16-a.html

http://www.expeditionswest.com/resea...tion_rev1.html
Old 04-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #11

GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Oliver! i was just writing you a PM when you posted
Old 04-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
Beretta Taco
Mescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant future

Firefighter: Come from a family of Army and Air Force
Mescalero's Tacoma Gallery
pm'd you on those tires...
Old 04-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
Almost there

That ExpeditionsWest write-up is really what made up my mind.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #14

GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
yeah thats pretty convincing! how do the KM2s wear? anyone have them?
Old 04-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
The major factor for me getting the 255/85/16 is that you get a 33" (33.1) tire that is narrow. Factors that played for me was weight and contact patch (surface area). For DD I do not want to be having my truck work harder than it needs. I have less rolling resistance and rotational mass.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...5-85-16-a.html

http://www.expeditionswest.com/resea...tion_rev1.html
x2, I had the coopers (bought blemished off ebay) for almost a year and they were awesome. Had to get rid of them though because they wouldn't balance (because they were blemished) and I drive a lot of highway now.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #16
Almost there

PM n0rth about the BFG, or gtrotter, or ryber