Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Basic size question b4 I make "Hoss" purchase

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
Blkturbo!'s Tacoma Gallery
Basic size question b4 I make "Hoss" purchase

Okay Ive finally decided on some wheels and I know that I want 18in...gonna just go with the KMC Hoss wheels since BMF doesnt make my favorite wheel in a Tacoma friendly size yet.

On KMCwheels.com I have 3 offset options for the Hoss 18x9 ---> +18 +30 and -12

Isn't it the -12 offset that i need for a 3in lift on 18x9?
And these should stick out of the fender well slightly (1-2in)?

On a side note, 4wheelparts guy told me that for what im doing, i should be looking for a 5in BS rather than a 4.5in BS. He said either will work but the 5in will fit better.
I always thought closer to 4.5BS is what we wanted...?

EDIT: By the way, Im mounting 285/65/18 TRAIL grapplers....Nitto vs tire calculator says the TRAIL grapplers run a little big. Nittos says 11.93in wide and 32.8 overall diameter.....and 8.5in average rim width.
http://www.nittotire.com/index.html

Thanks,
sean
Old 04-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkturbo! View Post
Okay Ive finally decided on some wheels and I know that I want 18in...gonna just go with the KMC Hoss wheels since BMF doesnt make my favorite wheel in a Tacoma friendly size yet.

On KMCwheels.com I have 3 offset options for the Hoss 18x9 ---> +18 +30 and -12

Isn't it the -12 offset that i need for a 3in lift on 18x9?
And these should stick out of the fender well slightly (1-2in)?

On a side note, 4wheelparts guy told me that for what im doing, i should be looking for a 5in BS rather than a 4.5in BS. He said either will work but the 5in will fit better.
I always thought closer to 4.5BS is what we wanted...?

EDIT: By the way, Im mounting 285/65/18 TRAIL grapplers....Nitto vs tire calculator says the TRAIL grapplers run a little big. Nittos says 11.93in wide and 32.8 overall diameter.....and 8.5in average rim width.
http://www.nittotire.com/index.html

Thanks,
sean
You are right, you will want thr -12 offset, which is 4.5" backspacing on a 9" wide rim.

As far as the 4.5" vs. 5" BS, it is a good rule of thumb to assume that anything 4wheel parts tells you, about anything, is incorrect.....
Old 04-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
the -12mm is what you want. The 5" BS would keep the tire/wheel into the fenders by an additional 1/2", but with tires over 285 wide then there are issues with rubbing the UCA and frame at full steering lock. 5" BS wheels are technically a better fit for widths less than the 285; over the 285 then you want the 4.5" BS so basically your at the cutoff for going either way IMO.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Okay so is -12 equivalent to 4.5in BS on a 9in wheel?

And for what I'm doing with a 9in wheel and 285/65 tire, I will just ignore the 5in BS thought all together.

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkturbo! View Post
Okay so is -12 equivalent to 4.5in BS on a 9in wheel?

And for what I'm doing with a 9in wheel and 285/65 tire, I will just ignore the 5in BS thought all together.

Thanks!
yes, 9" width w/ 4.5" BS= -12mm offset
Old 04-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
UticaClub will become famous soon enoughUticaClub will become famous soon enough
Name: John
UticaClub's Tacoma Gallery
Nice choice on the rims.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UticaClub View Post
Nice choice on the rims.

Okay thanks for the responses everyone. Just like to triple check shit before i leap!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
smtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to behold

smtaco73's Tacoma Gallery
pretty much same set up but with 17x9 -12mm on 285/70 duratracs? would i need spacers and if so what size? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
the -12mm is what you want. The 5" BS would keep the tire/wheel into the fenders by an additional 1/2", but with tires over 285 wide then there are issues with rubbing the UCA and frame at full steering lock. 5" BS wheels are technically a better fit for widths less than the 285; over the 285 then you want the 4.5" BS so basically your at the cutoff for going either way IMO.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #9
Frostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Frostbyte's Tacoma Gallery
i have 18x9 xd hoss wheels, -12 (4.5 backspace) fit real nice
Old 01-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #10
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smtaco73 View Post
pretty much same set up but with 17x9 -12mm on 285/70 duratracs? would i need spacers and if so what size? Thanks
Nope
Old 01-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
XD40SC is on a distinguished road

Name: Davis
XD40SC's Tacoma Gallery
HOSS in black is dope
Old 01-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
smtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to behold

smtaco73's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks alot, now im searching for cheapest price online. Any suggestions?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
Frostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Frostbyte's Tacoma Gallery
I love the all black xd hoss wheels too