Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Nitrogen in the tires?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
Nitrogen in the tires?

Hello All,

When I bought my Taco a couple weeks ago, they offered to fill the tires with Nitrogen for $75. Their claim was that it helps the tires stay cooler, and maintain a constant pressure.... Since air is %79 Nitrogen, does it make a big difference? Seems kinda like a gimmick to me.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Well I have it in mine simply because it does not flux like air however I only paid a tire shop $15 to do mine and anytime I want them checked and more added its free.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okkine View Post
Hello All,

When I bought my Taco a couple weeks ago, they offered to fill the tires with Nitrogen for $75. Their claim was that it helps the tires stay cooler, and maintain a constant pressure.... Since air is %79 Nitrogen, does it make a big difference? Seems kinda like a gimmick to me.
we run nitrogen in some of our heavier use patrol vehicles

the idea is that nitrogen tires lose pressure a LOT slower and dont have to be checked as often (i think)
Old 09-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I dont like it and never needed it. Has anyone?
And you have to go to the place who has it every time you need to fill the tires?
that SUX!!
Old 09-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
No you can still add air if you want but I live in the desert and with the flux in temp air will set off the TPS sensor ever couple of weeks so it makes sense for me...
Old 09-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
zuter will become famous soon enough
zuter's Tacoma Gallery
I read that using nitrogen developed from racing - formula 1, etc. Where every little advantage is investigated and used. And that it only made a difference when used in that application. However, there my be some advantage to slower pressure loss but again it may only apply to racing! Google it to get more info.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuter View Post
I read that using nitrogen developed from racing - formula 1, etc. Where every little advantage is investigated and used. And that it only made a difference when used in that application. However, there my be some advantage to slower pressure loss but again it may only apply to racing! Google it to get more info.
Yeah...in those racing situations, EVERY little detail counts.

But for daily driving usage? I think its just another gimmick to make money off of.

Compressed air can be had for free. Air actually contains what...78% nitrogen already?

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...nitrogen-.html
Old 09-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by harris.jasonm View Post
No you can still add air if you want but I live in the desert and with the flux in temp air will set off the TPS sensor ever couple of weeks so it makes sense for me...
I beg to differ-as I have heard you should keep it either all nitrogen or all air due to false readings.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:24 PM   #9
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
not worth paying for.... if you can get it for free (Costco) then sure why not
Old 09-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
ubermx5 is on a distinguished road
ubermx5's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ubermx5
Ok to help clear up some info here

Nitrogen is larger and does not pass through the rubber in tire as fast as normal Air does.. Normal air filled tires loose 1 PSI every 30 days just sitting. and more if used at times.

Also Nitrogen filled tires do not expand as much and when it does it does it the same every time you hit a temp range. Normal Air has a ton of water in it. THis is what makes for manny issue we have.

Would I pay $75 hell no..
Will Costco refill your tie NOPE. only if you buy tires from them will they..
or if you have a friend who works their. But you can drive up and get it switched.

So to rap this up. If you can get it free do it.
If you have to Pay fet it under $45 for all 5 tires.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #11
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
The air we breath is about 80% Nitrogen...
Therefore... pointless in my opinion.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #13
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Hell no not worth $75. I have it in my tires, but Costco does it for FREE!
Old 09-26-2008, 12:57 AM   #14
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
Hell no not worth $75. I have it in my tires, but Costco does it for FREE!
Haha, that's kinda what I was thinking. Air's been working good for the past 100 years. It will keep working for what I need. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:57 AM   #15
VeeRFour05 is on a distinguished road
VeeRFour05's Tacoma Gallery
The whole idea is that nitrogen is more stable than air. With air your pressure will change about 1psi for every 10 degrees in temp change. With nitrogen it is less than that. I have it in the tires on my car because the shop put it in for free when I had them mount my tires. I wouldn't pay for it though, especially living in MN where we don't have very rapid temp changes. For people like harris that live in desert states it may be something worth getting, but not for $75.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:23 AM   #17
sAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud of

Air Force: 19 EMXS/MXMG
sAm I aM's Tacoma Gallery
For those in the AF just get with your local AGE mechanic. Self Generating Nitrogen Servicing Carts are essential in a flightline environment.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:31 AM   #18
uuc328 is on a distinguished road

uuc328's Tacoma Gallery
in for updates

FYI - mine tires came filled with nitrogen, AFAIK i did not pay any extra for this either. i def would not pay $75 for it.

i would like to have them topped off as when i checked them they seemed a little low (34 psi) need to do the crayon pressure trick first
Old 09-30-2008, 08:41 AM   #19
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Yeah...in those racing situations, EVERY little detail counts.

But for daily driving usage? I think its just another gimmick to make money off of.

Compressed air can be had for free. Air actually contains what...78% nitrogen already?

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...nitrogen-.html

yeppers!!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #20
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the $tealership was really trying to take you for a ride on that one.

I swapped out my stock tires immediately, and picked up some Michelin AT2's at Costco for a great price ($250 cheaper than the local tire shop!). They filled 'em with Nitrogen free of charge, and will do so for the life of the tires. Fortunately for me, the local Costco is about 5 miles from my house. I live in an area where temperature fluctuates +/- 40 degrees everyday, so if the Nitrogen will keep my tires' volume relatively stable, then it can't hurt.